Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 05:22:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

District 118

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: District 118  (Read 175 times)
Terry

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 4 Windows User
« on: August 10, 2010, 02:44:30 pm »

Looks like District 118 doesn't know how to live within its means either.  Today's Commerical News :

"D118 budget will be ‘in the red’
BY MIKE HELENTHAL
 Commercial-News

DANVILLE — School officials will present an annual budget to the Danville District 118 School Board Wednesday written with $2.4 million in red ink."

Of course they blame the state and that's probably true.  But, where I come from, you live on what you get.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

marigoldhead

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:11:02 am »

I do know that the state has not been paying schools like they should, but im like you .... dont spend till you have.  Thats what we have to do!  I truly agree with your statements.  By the way, I am running for school board in the spring.  Things have got to change.
Report Spam   Logged
techguy

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:15:07 am »

I think the district has done an admirable job of living within it's means. Other districts around the state are literally bankrupt. The same article you quote lists a slew of cutbacks that have been made, and the fact that the district still has a 19 million reserve. Trust me, there are plenty of other school districts that wish they were in our position.
The fact is that our state's finances are a joke, and schools around the state are making best guesses at what the state might give.
When the state says "You'll get X this year" and then doesn't deliver, what's a school board supposed to do?
Report Spam   Logged
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:25:56 am »

Maybe this article comes in time for arbitration with the DEA. Makes sense to me.
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »

Marigoldhead.

You will get my vote!
Report Spam   Logged
marigoldhead

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:00:40 am »

I agree the board is doing a good job, but there has to be more cuts and not with the teachers.  Teachers are the most important part of this equation.  I have not seen the numbers or am trying to state any facts but as a businessman im sure the I can find the problems and try to solve them to everyones benefit.  Again im not saying the board is doing bad.  The state has made their job harder than it has ever been.  State government needs a great cleaning out.  They are causing most of the problems with most districts.  They dont have any money but I see new trucks, roads, bridges, lottery still going (with none going to schools as promised), major work north of 80 (fiquire that out!), and much more waste that we dont even know about.  We havent had a honest governer in how long?  LOL  There are lots of factors and we should not be beating up the school board.  Even if I get on the board, I will be only a small part of the puzzle.  We must educate and save the kids.  I hate to say it but, danville will never be what it was in the 80's.  90% of the factories are gone but, we must give the kids a education that they can use in life for jobs and stability.  Right now we have jobs available in the county but very few can pass the drug test or the math problems.  These problems have to be addressed and fixed.  Im hoping the board will start being a little harder on these two subjects.  It is important to the county.
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:45 pm »

By the way, I am running for school board in the spring.  Things have got to change.

Still plan on running?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum