Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 02:23:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

District 118 Teachers

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: District 118 Teachers  (Read 412 times)
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:41 pm »

The citizens of Danville need to take control of Dist 118 and fire them all. The taxpayers pay their salaries.
The citizens of California over threw their government and rid themselves of the Governor. I'm sure we can  take on the teachers and show them the door. I have seen their pay scale and it makes me want to puke. Why do they feel they should be the highest paid teachers in Illinois? I just don't get it. Our children would most likely get a better education without the current teachers. I say fire them and replace them with someone who will appreciate what we pay them.
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 07:17:49 am »

This is a great thread! I don't have any school age children but this stupid strike affects my little nephew and niece.  I have a few questions....are they still on salary while striking? If their job is so important, and it is, how is it that they are allowed to strike in the first place? Isn't it true that police and firefighters are not allowed to strike because of the importance of their jobs? Isn't this kind of like teachers using the kids as "human shields" to get what they want? Can they actually be fired and other teachers brought in? Has this ever been done in other Illinois districts?
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 08:21:55 am »

That's what the teachers have pasted on their T shirts as they walk the picket line.  Problem is that the schools don't work or seven out of nine wouldn't have failed to meet the state minimum requirements.  Conclusion:  Danville teachers do NOT work and they should all be fired.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 10:47:46 am »

Someone just told me that they won't get fired because the school board has no guts. Sounds about right to me. Why aren't parents out there protesting?
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:38 am »

Now I see that the teachers have convinced some of the children to join their picket lines.  How interesting is that?  I wonder how many kids would be on the picket line if their parents told them that any additional costs resulting from the strike would come out of their allowance or they would have to get a part time job to pay the difference?
Perfect example of children being brainwashed by the union.  Of course, these are the same children who were unable to meet the state minimum requirements because of inadequate teaching skills on the part of District 118 teachers.
FIRE THEM ALL and START OVER.
Report Spam   Logged
granny1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:39 am »

Someone I know mentioned this interesting thought. With 70% of Danville's family's at lo income levels, the free hot breakfast or lunch for the children will not be there for them So is this  working for the children?? I think not. The teachers and their family"s will not suffer this. I think their priorities are sadly very mixed up. Maybe it is time to use the BIG SWEEPING BROOM.
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 10:40:16 am »

Since I don't live in Danville,  I have tried not to comment here, but I just can't keep quiet any more.  As a medical professional, I knew when I decided to enter the profession that I would likely not be high on the wage scale, but caring for people meant more than money so it didn't matter.  I think teachers, really dedicated teachers, who care about their students, wouldn't be on a picket line just as real nurses who cared about their patients wouldn't.   If you are dedicated to something as important as nursing or teaching, money can't be an issue and if it is, you should be in another profession.   
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »

I got to wondering if there were other cases of teachers around the country being fired and indeed there is. Apparently it is Obama who is actually going up against the unions to get this moving.

All teachers fired at R.I. school. Will that happen elsewhere?

A small, high-poverty school district in Rhode Island is now ground zero for some of the most explosive debates over reforming America’s worst-performing schools. To the dismay of many local and national union members, all the teachers, the principal, and other staff of Central Falls High School were fired by the board of trustees this week. The move is part of a dramatic turnaround plan proposed by the superintendent and approved by the state education commissioner.

Because of pressure from the Obama administration – and the incentive of billions of federal dollars – more such cases are likely to arise across the United States in the coming year.

Advocates of the “turnaround” approach say it’s a way to remove bad teachers or change a culture that makes it difficult for good teachers to work effectively. But teachers feel scapegoated. And there’s no clear-cut research guaranteeing that student test scores will improve when schools are reorganized with new staffs.

Will more superintendents clean house?

Continued here: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2010/0225/All-teachers-fired-at-R.I.-school.-Will-that-happen-elsewhere

Probably Obama witness first hand the crap going on in the Chicago school systems and made up his mind to do something about it. They should all be fired. Good teachers will continue to teach and they should make a decent wage when their efforts can be seen.
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:24 pm »

Chalk one more up for the Prez.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:38 am »

Strike's over, but at what price ?
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 10:18:01 am »

This is a great thread! I don't have any school age children but this stupid strike affects my little nephew and niece.  I have a few questions....are they still on salary while striking? If their job is so important, and it is, how is it that they are allowed to strike in the first place? Isn't it true that police and firefighters are not allowed to strike because of the importance of their jobs? Isn't this kind of like teachers using the kids as "human shields" to get what they want? Can they actually be fired and other teachers brought in? Has this ever been done in other Illinois districts?

DJ, many contract state they cannot strike while the contract is in force. This contract has been expired, so they are free to strike.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum