Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 12:12:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Do you believe there is a God? Why or why not?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe there is a God? Why or why not?  (Read 259 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:10:51 am »

For starters...I believe in an intelligent creator who is the source of all that there is. Why do I believe? I guess because I've seen all the proof I need to see in order to believe.  But...I also believe that from time immortal religious leaders have gotten it wrong and even purposefully distorted the truth.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DrLeftover

The Media Desk

View Profile WWW
Combination Level 2 Level 1
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

To believe that the entire Universe, all matter, life itself, and (more or less) intelligent life happened 'by accident' coming out of nothing at all to me takes a greater leap of faith and suspension of disbelief than to accept an Uncaused First Cause Creator GOD.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

I know...it's pretty amazing that even many scientists now have a belief in intelligent creation. Even Einstein believed.  Book Confirms Einstein's Belief in God
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »

I choose to believe for a most selfish reason. I'm out nothing if I am wrong in my belief. The non-believer will pay a most terrible price if they are wrong. I have a relative who is a athiest. I've heard the explain the dinosaurs & his other arguments.

My answer is I can't. Might be one reason it is called faith. I am amazed a athiest can dismiss eye witness accounts so easily. Feeding the multitudes out of a few fish & bread,parting the Red Sea & raising the dead is pretty heavy stuff.

I heard a person of science say Jesus wasn't really dead when he was entombed. The cool air revived him & he just walked out. It is known his tomb was guarded by "Roman Guards" The explanation is they were asleep. The penalty for sleeping on guard duty was death. Anyway I choose to believe in God,period.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:22:04 pm »

Thank you for that music man...your take on it is very interesting. So do the stories from the bible help to reinforce your faith? Just curious.... Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »

The self-described 'selfish reason' for, to qoute music man, 'choosing to believe in G_d,' is held by another member who uses the same logic.  They choose to believe in G_D  'just in case' there is a G_d.  I mean no disrespect, but it seems that there isn't much 'faith' evident in that rationale...only 'fear?'

Am I wrong?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:42:18 am »

I believe 100%.Selfish or not I do believe.  As per your question DJ yes I believe the bible stories. One thing about Jesus is his actions were witnessed by multitudes of people. We do have actual eye witness accounts. Each individual must decide whether to believe or not believe.

I was a amateur astronomer & once owned a 13.1 inch telescope. I have "Carl Sagans".."Cosmos" book. Isaac Asimovs books & numerous others. I may have not spelled the names right but I read the books. Seven theries exist on the universe creation. Big Bang....Steady State...Expanding,etc. None involve the creator.

You can go back to the "Scopes" monkey trial & earlier to find disagreement on this subject. I wonder how many people know that "Bertram Cates" who was on trial for teaching evolution was from Danville,Ill. One can look this up on the internet. The movie "Inherit the wind" was based upon that trial. I'm not 100% sure his name was Bertram Cates,it may have been changed for the movie.

The real tradgedy of religion to me is that so many have died flying the religious banner. I have my beliefs but certainly would not try to advance them thru violence. My wife & I had dinner with my athiest nephew & I sure wouldn't want to beat him into submission. We discuss religion but nobody gets radical.

Report Spam   Logged
granny1

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:58:00 am »

Yes I do believe in God. Some days when all seems bleak and and the world in such chaos, my Bible and my belief in Him are what substains me. I also believe all people have the right to believe as they wish. I do not force my beliefs on any one. When I look at the beautiful sights in our world, I know only one person could create that beauty. When I look  upon a new born child, I see HIS handiwork. God,s love is all around us.
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:03:48 pm »

I believe in God.  When I was a child I started going to church and read the Bible.  How anyone can look at the intricate beauty in this world and not believe, is beyond me.  That kind of beauty wasn't an accident!   As an OB nurse I have seen a lot of births and each one was a miracle in itself and a sign to me that God meant the world to go on. 

My mother was a Catholic, my father was a Lutheran and they raised all 7 of us in the Methodist church.  Now, by choice, 3 of us are Christians, 3 are Agnostic and 1 is an Atheist.  I would not force my beliefs on anyone either.  The new Testament preaches love, however, I see very little of that among some of todays professed Christians and it really bothers me.     
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:18 pm »

The self-described 'selfish reason' for, to qoute music man, 'choosing to believe in G_d,' is held by another member who uses the same logic.  They choose to believe in G_D  'just in case' there is a G_d.  I mean no disrespect, but it seems that there isn't much 'faith' evident in that rationale...only 'fear?'

Am I wrong?

Am I supposed to ask if you are referring to my logic? I don't think I've ever expressed my religious views before on here.  Huh

I guess only MM can tell you if he's actually fearful.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:33:04 pm »

I believe 100%.Selfish or not I do believe.  As per your question DJ yes I believe the bible stories. One thing about Jesus is his actions were witnessed by multitudes of people. We do have actual eye witness accounts. Each individual must decide whether to believe or not believe.

I was a amateur astronomer & once owned a 13.1 inch telescope. I have "Carl Sagans".."Cosmos" book. Isaac Asimovs books & numerous others. I may have not spelled the names right but I read the books. Seven theries exist on the universe creation. Big Bang....Steady State...Expanding,etc. None involve the creator.

You can go back to the "Scopes" monkey trial & earlier to find disagreement on this subject. I wonder how many people know that "Bertram Cates" who was on trial for teaching evolution was from Danville,Ill. One can look this up on the internet. The movie "Inherit the wind" was based upon that trial. I'm not 100% sure his name was Bertram Cates,it may have been changed for the movie.

The real tradgedy of religion to me is that so many have died flying the religious banner. I have my beliefs but certainly would not try to advance them thru violence. My wife & I had dinner with my athiest nephew & I sure wouldn't want to beat him into submission. We discuss religion but nobody gets radical.

I understand what you're saying MM except for the part about being selfish. I guess I don't understand how believing in God could be thought of as a selfish act?
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 04:39:29 pm »

Yes I do believe in God. Some days when all seems bleak and and the world in such chaos, my Bible and my belief in Him are what substains me. I also believe all people have the right to believe as they wish. I do not force my beliefs on any one. When I look at the beautiful sights in our world, I know only one person could create that beauty. When I look  upon a new born child, I see HIS handiwork. God,s love is all around us.

It's so wonderful knowing we are never alone isn't it!
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 05:05:47 pm »

I believe in God.  When I was a child I started going to church and read the Bible.  How anyone can look at the intricate beauty in this world and not believe, is beyond me.  That kind of beauty wasn't an accident!   As an OB nurse I have seen a lot of births and each one was a miracle in itself and a sign to me that God meant the world to go on. 

My mother was a Catholic, my father was a Lutheran and they raised all 7 of us in the Methodist church.  Now, by choice, 3 of us are Christians, 3 are Agnostic and 1 is an Atheist.  I would not force my beliefs on anyone either.  The new Testament preaches love, however, I see very little of that among some of todays professed Christians and it really bothers me.     

I went to church, vacation Bible school in the summers but I was probably 8 or 9 years old, and after a series of unanswered prayers, I stopped believing there was a God. One night in the late 80's God and I had a long talk (no drugs or liquor involved). Basically I told the Creator that I will let YOU guide me and look out for me and I will promise to love you with all my heart no matter what. It's worked out great!  Grin

Honestly I don't claim to be a "Christian"...I don't all my beliefs/disbeliefs fit in with any one religion.
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 05:15:30 pm »

I understand what you're saying MM except for the part about being selfish. I guess I don't understand how believing in God could be thought of as a selfish act?

Because music man is 'covering all bets.'  He's cool if there is no G_d, and if there is then he's also cool because he professes to believe in G_d.  Yes, it is rather shallow reasoning, but we're not talking 'logic,' but 'faith.'  And before I type anymore I endorse any persons' 'right to believe' in any way they choose.  music man is cool with me...

Religion is what man did to G_d...

I think a good question to ask that would keep this thread going is, 'What would the world be like if there was no religion?'  John Lennon asked the same question.

Religion is the opiate of the people. - Karl Marx  Read the short reference at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_People
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Pretender

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 05:55:36 pm »

I may have a different concept of God than others. Should I believe what I've been told about who God is? Should I believe what I've been told about what God is? If I accept either then why are there so many different religions? Religion is not of God, but of man. In my opinion God is Love and we are all a part of God and what one believes about God is what one's gut feeling guides one to believe. There's much more to this life than what our brains tell us. I think we are only in the infancy stage of understanding and rather than trying to understand we should allow God to show us the way.

Say what?!?! My gut doesn't speak English..............
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum