Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 08:12:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Who's right.....who's wrong?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's right.....who's wrong?  (Read 66 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »

Republicans block child nutrition bill

By MARY CLARE JALONICK, Associated Press Mary Clare Jalonick, Associated Press 56 mins ago

WASHINGTON –
House Republicans have temporarily blocked legislation to feed school meals to thousands more hungry children. Republicans used a procedural maneuver Wednesday to try to amend the $4.5 billion bill, which would give more needy children the opportunity to eat free lunches at school and make those lunches healthier. First lady Michelle Obama has lobbied for the bill as part of her "Let's Move" campaign to combat childhood obesity.

House Democrats said the GOP amendment, which would have required background checks for child care workers, was an effort to kill the bill and delayed a final vote on the legislation rather than vote on the amendment.

Because the nutrition bill is identical to legislation passed by the Senate in August, passage would send it to the White House for President Barack Obama's signature. If the bill were amended, it would be sent back to the Senate with little time left in the legislative session.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md. said the House would hold separate votes on Thursday on the amendment and the bill.

Republicans say the nutrition bill is too costly and an example of government overreach.

"It's not about making our children healthy and active," said Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., the top Republican on the House Education and Labor Committee. "We all want to see our children healthy and active. This is about spending and the role of government and the size of government — a debate about whether we're listening to our constituents or not."

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has also taken a swipe at the first lady's campaign, bringing cookies to a speech at a Pennsylvania school last month and calling the campaign a "school cookie ban debate" and "nanny state run amok" on her Twitter feed.

The legislation would give the government the power to decide what kinds of foods could be sold and what ingredients may be limited in school lunch lines and vending machines.

The Agriculture Department would create the standards, which would likely keep popular foods like hamburgers and pizza in school cafeterias but make them healthier, using leaner meat or whole wheat crust, for example. Vending machines could be stocked with less candy and fewer high-calorie drinks.

The bill would provide money to serve more than 20 million additional after-school meals annually to children in all 50 states. Many of those children now only receive after-school snacks. It would also increase the number of children eligible for school meals programs by at least 115,000, using Medicaid and census data to identify them.

The legislation would increase the amount of money schools are reimbursed by 6 cents a meal, a priority for schools that say they don't have the dollars to feed needy kids.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101201/ap_on_bi_ge/us_congress_school_nutrition/print

I don't know enough to make a good comment at the moment but one thing that comes to my mind is that millions of Americans are not able to feed themselves because they have no land to grow it on....I'm just say'n.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »

I don't know enough to make a good comment at the moment but one thing that comes to my mind is that millions of Americans are not able to feed themselves because they have no land to grow it on....I'm just say'n.

And it used to be just the opposite, at one time our population was mostly farmers.  So what has our technology wrought?  Now, we are dependent on agri-corporations for our sustenance.  Of course it would never happen, especially in the richest nation on earth (or should I have used past-tense phrasing), but ... never-mind...

I assume that these kids are also fed with Link cards?

The democracy will cease to exist
when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:42:25 pm »

And it used to be just the opposite, at one time our population was mostly farmers.  So what has our technology wrought?  Now, we are dependent on agri-corporations for our sustenance.  Of course it would never happen, especially in the richest nation on earth (or should I have used past-tense phrasing), but ... never-mind...

You make an excellent point and I totally agree. Our technology is getting out of hand and among other things....it's destroying the planet.

I assume that these kids are also fed with Link cards?

"The legislation would give the government the power to decide what kinds of foods could be sold and what ingredients may be limited in school lunch lines and vending machines."

I really don't like sounds of the above quote from the story...it's not even about feeding these kids...it's about feeding kids healthy food for lunch and I thought they already had to do that...and yes I thought that's exactly what the food stamp (Link card) program is all about. I'm not convinced the Federal Government has any business trying to put in place another billion dollar program to feed kids "nutritious" lunches. Would it really make kids any healthier? I don't know...I kind of doubt it.

The democracy will cease to exist
when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Yes..there are lazy freeloaders out there but for the most part people want to better themselves and want a better life for their kids. Those good for nothing lazy welfare bastards got nothing on the corporate heads and banksters for sticking it to the taxpayers.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:36 pm »

Now, now....let's not be 'negative!'  hahahaaa

No, I agree 100%...the welfare cheats that we come into contact with have nothing on Ben Bernanke, GE, Goldman-Sachs, etc.

Two more years, huh?  I sure hope most of us survive that long (ref: Georgia Guidestones).
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:38:25 pm »

Two more years, huh?

Really....that's not much time to get the population down to 500 million.  Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum