Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 06:35:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Illinois - Rahm Emanuel booted off ballot

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Illinois - Rahm Emanuel booted off ballot  (Read 167 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »

Rahm Emanuel booted off ballot in 2-1 Appellate Court decision

Jan 24, 2011

Rahm Emanuel was thrown off the ballot for mayor of Chicago today by an appellate court panel, a stunning blow to the fund-raising leader in the race.

An appellate panel ruled 2-1 that Emanuel did not meet the residency standard to run for mayor.

Appellate justices Thomas Hoffman and Shelvin Louise Marie Hall ruled against Emanuel. Justice Bertina Lampkin voted in favor of keeping President Obama’s former chief of staff on the Feb. 22 ballot.

Emanuel, speaking to reporters at The Berghoff in the Loop, said he is confident he will win an appeal and return to the ballot.

“I have no doubt at the end we will prevail,” Emanuel said. “As my father has said, nothing is ever easy.”

The Emanuel campaign sent out a text to its supporters asking them to assemble at 5 p.m. at Dearborn and Washington to “rally for Rahm’s right to be on the ballot and let Chicagoans choose.”

Emanuel argued that leaving Chicago to serve the president should count as serving the country — and allow him to retain his Chicago residency despite spending two years serving Obama in Washington, D.C.

Story continued: http://www.suntimes.com/3469419-452/emanuel-court-ballot-rahm-mayor.html

Oh it wouldn't surprise me a bit if Emanuel manages to get himself back on the ballot. After all he is known for "getting things done".  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

granny1

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 02:16:20 pm »

He will probably get back on the ballot. After all, you are talking Chicago politics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wink Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »

Whether I like him or not....I feel he should be able to be on the ballot.

It is just like the President, senators, representatives or members of the military. While they are serving our country they retain their state residency. Emanuel was serving his country while in Washington.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:05:53 am »

It is just like the President, senators, representatives or members of the military. While they are serving our country they retain their state residency. Emanuel was serving his country while in Washington.

Well...to bad it doesn't depend on whose country you're serving. Rahm Emanuel never served in the US military...however he did serve in the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces). In that case he should go run for office in Israel.

I'm just say'n. 
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:11:09 am »

Well...to bad it doesn't depend on whose country you're serving. Rahm Emanuel never served in the US military...however he did serve in the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces). In that case he should go run for office in Israel.

I'm just say'n. 

And, your point is ?
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »

And, your point is ?

My point is that he should go to Isra-hell to run for office. What'd you care for anyway...he's a liberal.

BTW...you don't post nearly enough Terry. You're retired now aren't ya...you should have time.
Report Spam   Logged

Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:37:14 pm »

I'm just say'n. 

Just read he served as a "volunteer" in the IDF, not the actual military. He also attended camp with his brother during the summer. The last I knew the Israeli and the US were Allies. Has that changed?

I believe he has served the US now by being Obama's Chief of Staff?  I would consider that serving the country. Just saying.......   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:33:42 pm »

Tuck wrote: Just read he served as a "volunteer" in the IDF, not the actual military. He also attended camp with his brother during the summer. The last I knew the Israeli and the US were Allies. Has that changed?

I believe he has served the US now by being Obama's Chief of Staff?  I would consider that serving the country. Just saying.......   Wink

So does "volunteer" mean he didn't serve? What do you think the IDF is?

Yeah...as soon as the Gulf war started that's when Emanuel took off to volunteer in Israel and he didn't come back until the Gulf war was over. How patriotic is that? I'd say his loyalties are elsewhere.

And with allies like Israel who needs enemies....unless you go for countries that suck billions of tax payer dollars in foreign aid, sell US secrets to China, and send spies in to infiltrate the Pentagon and then when one gets caught call him a hero and demand his release.

However Tuck maybe you could write a letter and ask that he be put back on the ballot so you can vote for him. I'm just say'n. 
Report Spam   Logged

Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 06:30:54 pm »

Tuck wrote: Just read he served as a "volunteer" in the IDF, not the actual military. He also attended camp with his brother during the summer. The last I knew the Israeli and the US were Allies. Has that changed?

So does "volunteer" mean he didn't serve? What do you think the IDF is?

Yeah...as soon as the Gulf war started that's when Emanuel took off to volunteer in Israel and he didn't come back until the Gulf war was over. How patriotic is that? I'd say his loyalties are elsewhere.

And with allies like Israel who needs enemies....unless you go for countries that suck billions of tax payer dollars in foreign aid, sell US secrets to China, and send spies in to infiltrate the Pentagon and then when one gets caught call him a hero and demand his release.

However Tuck maybe you could write a letter and ask that he be put back on the ballot so you can vote for him. I'm just say'n. 

I am not saying if I like this guy, what I am saying is I feel he has a right to be on the ballot, and let the voters decide if he wins or loses.
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:49:48 pm »

The last I knew the Israeli and the US were Allies. Has that changed?

Lessee...in 1968, Israeli jets attacked a US intelligence-gathering ship, the USS Liberty,  in international waters in the Mediterranean for four hours, killing 34 US sailors and injuring more than 130. 

Allies?  Still believing everything you see on the news and read in the papers?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:10 pm »

The last I knew the Israeli and the US were Allies. Has that changed?

Lessee...in 1968, Israeli jets attacked a US intelligence-gathering ship, the USS Liberty,  in international waters in the Mediterranean for four hours, killing 34 US sailors and injuring more than 130. 

Allies?  Still believing everything you see on the news and read in the papers?

Let's see, 1968....I would have been 15, so that was 42 years ago.........some might say ancient history. Of course I don't believe everything I read or everything I see.

The point I am trying to make, I guess poorly, is anyone should be allowed to run for office, yes, even that one candidate for Mayor here in Danville, and let the people decide if they should hold the office they are seeking.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:28 am »

Let's see, 1968....I would have been 15, so that was 42 years ago.........some might say ancient history. Of course I don't believe everything I read or everything I see.

The point I am trying to make, I guess poorly, is anyone should be allowed to run for office, yes, even that one candidate for Mayor here in Danville, and let the people decide if they should hold the office they are seeking.

Seriously Tuck I understand your point and can appreciate that you've taken the time to express it. We're just having a friendly discussion. This is what public forums are all about and you have every right to your own point of view. Evidently the Illinois State Supreme Court agrees with you.
Report Spam   Logged

Terry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:15:31 am »

Even though I don't like him, he will be on the ballot.  But, here are my top three reasons why I hope he is not elected:
#1 - I DON'T LIKE HIM
#2 - I REALLY DON'T LIKE HIM
#3 - I REALLY, REALLY DON'T LIKE HIM.
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 11:32:02 am »

Seriously Tuck I understand your point and can appreciate that you've taken the time to express it. We're just having a friendly discussion. This is what public forums are all about and you have every right to your own point of view. Evidently the Illinois State Supreme Court agrees with you.

Thanks DJ.......I appreciate that...I do like dropping my opinion in every once in a while, lol, and Terry, I just have 1 question for you.  Do you like him....lol
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:45 am »

Thanks DJ.......I appreciate that...I do like dropping my opinion in every once in a while, lol, and Terry, I just have 1 question for you.  Do you like him....lol

Did I mention that I DON'T LIKE HIM ?  But, I agree with you Tuck, he should be on the ballot.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum