Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 04:28:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Ghost of Penteller

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ghost of Penteller  (Read 187 times)
buzorro

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:25:06 pm »

Mothers Flesh

At the recent Illinois state fair, a group of state agricultural associations involved in crop and animal production, announced they were beginning a public relations campaign. Their goal is to counter research showing, “that consumers like farmers, but have doubts about modern farming methods.”

With this in mind it seemed appropriate to provide you with some talking points of your own, to have available the next time you meet an Agri-Business person. Let’s begin with the greatest agricultural con game of all time - ethanol.

So how does ethanol help our energy independence, when it takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than a gallon of ethanol provides? No wonder the Bush Administration spent huge sums of our tax dollars on it! And speaking of low performance, you might want to note that ethanol only has (E) 85% of the thermal energy of gasoline.

Bio fuels such as ethanol have been shown to produce many times more of the green house gas CO2 than does gasoline. Especially when you factor in the huge energy consumption associated in planting, harvesting, processing and transporting ethanol. A product that cannot be distributed through our current pipeline infrastructure since ethanol would destroy it.

And speaking of destruction, without your tax dollars the ethanol industry would collapse overnight and has only existed since its creation, not from market forces but by tax payer funding through the agricultural welfare system.

Immediately following the Bush administration’s enthusiastic support through government funding of ethanol, corn commodity markets shot up to record levels, forcing a great hardship on the poor of South America who saw their primary food staple double in cost over night.

Then there are the security and health issues. With homeland security having total dictatorial powers in times of crisis, will people go hungry in order to feed the machines of war with food from the fields? And who gets priority, the energy companies or crying children when a massive crop failure occurs, such as the one that occurred in Russia this year?

Meanwhile, recent medical studies continue to indicate that fructose (corn syrup) found in nearly everything eaten today, may actually feed and nurture cancer cells. To say nothing of the obesity epidemic that has risen in tandem with the increased use of fructose.

As for quality of food, how does continual feeding of antibiotics to cows that stand 24 hours a day in their own excrement and urine help assure my health? How does feeding corn to cows whose bodies were never intended to eat such things and who must be slaughtered early or their livers will fail because of eating corn, make a better quality meat?

And please… until you have eaten grass feed organic beef, do not regurgitate the programmed line that corn fed beef is better.

Recently we’ve seen what kind of calamity can occur when we industrialize agriculture, warehousing millions of animals in factory designs that can only be maintained through massive antibiotic usage. Centralized systems that when failing, create a nationwide food and medical crisis that increases the cost for us all and sometimes the ultimate cost in life.

Complex and destructive industrial systems of animal confinement that will eventually breed super bugs resistant to any current treatment, causing acute food shortages. Drugs fed by the ton to animals we eat, creating huge profit centers for international pharmaceuticals who make them, antibiotics that the Government has warmed agriculture to begin curtailing because the threat is growing daily.

Then there’s the destruction of the land, the nurturing Mother of us all, who continues to be neglected and abused. Around my organic farm today the land is sterile, no life, no bio-diversity. Our little farm is an organic oasis in the middle of the corn-bean desert, assaulted regularly by the storms of poison. Poisons in many forms, from the sprays used on the crops to the crops themselves.

Locally we see our Counties water reservoir continue to fill with Mother’s rich soils. Land stripped away by those who see no harm in what they do, assuring everyone that they are good stewards of Mother’s gift. Yet their work can be seen clearly in a river that cannot be seen through, where Mother’s flesh has been poisoned, ripped from her and sent to a watery grave.

Of course the saddest thing in all of this is the impact we have on millions of others far removed. Once some of Mother’s flesh has settled to the bottom of Lake Vermilion, the rest along with the poisons and energy intensive nitrogen used by agriculture, ends up in the Gulf of Mexico, where it destroys sea life in massive dead zones.

Then we have better living through chemistry.

After sixty years of continual and ever increasing chemical use, we have now evolved (Darwinized) herbicide resistant weeds that can no longer be controlled. Weeds that have adapted to the chemicals and have become so robust as to render current herbicides useless and harvesting equipment fruitless.

Today, Frankenstein crops are all the rage in an agricultural lifestyle once called husbandry. They’re called GMO’s (genetically modified organisms) that have been genetically engineered in the laboratory to be resistant to herbicides and/or to create their own poisons. Sewn together monsters with heinous potentials, some that have now escaped into the world to run amuck and begin terrorizing Mother’s floral and creature children.

These are Frankenstein species that can now begin to blend with other plants, potentially creating unknown calamities. These are toxic field crops that we eat everyday in our foods and are never told about, crops that insects pollinate, carrying destruction to their hives and colonies.

And what do international corporations, growers and suppliers do in response to all of this, why tout “cheaper” foods as something positive, while seed companies sue those who would dare keep their traditional open-pollinated seeds from former generations, in planting next years crop.

Sue them, because the farmer’s seed now shows genetic markers of the corporations patented seed that jumped fence and polluted the farmer’s crop. And what’s a poor farmer to due when their seed has been taken away? Why buy the expensive and patented “hybrid” seed from those who sued him.

And all of this is at the industrialized agriculture end of the story, an area now dominated and politically controlled by international corporations. Now these same international conglomerates have their sights set on you and your neighbor, those pesky civilian critters who keep eating away at their profits by feeding each other.

To further assure long term and complete monopoly of the food supply, our purchased politicians have introduced Senate Bill S 510, called the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010. A law that will make it not only illegal for the population to keep seeds from year to year but will make it a crime to grow, own, trade, transport, share, or feed each other from our gardens.

Don’t you love it when a plan comes together for multi-national corporations, our politicians puppeteers.

Lastly, at the for-mentioned Illinois State Fair event an Illinois farmer stated, “there are some folk’s who are trying to discredit agriculture”. I don’t know about you but it doesn’t appear that they really need any help from us, as they seem to be doing just fine on their own.

However, what is desperately needed, is an intervention by the village before the village ends up starving for the benefit of the few, who wallow delightfully in the filth of greed and false pride.

So don’t forget… visit a farmer’s market soon while there’s still time, before they’re featured on America’s Most Wanted and on the run for dealing veggies.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 04:37:33 pm »

America is in a truly desperate situation and the most frightening thing about it, is her leadership is afflicted with a crippling psychosis that keeps them from being able to make rational decisions. That affliction is called “positive thinking”.

In her book titled “Bright Sided”, Barbara Ehrenreich explains how our obsessive focus on only thinking good thoughts, has corrupted our social, political, economic and spiritual core, to the point we may well collapse.

What started out in the mid 1800’s as a way to combat the debilitating Calvinist fear that somewhere, someone might be having fun, has turned into a multi billion dollar industry designed to “program” employees and fool the religious that all will be well if only you think good thoughts.

In business today, to even question a project or a group belief is to be marginalized at best and in some cases dismissed for not being a “team” player, no matter what “facts” you may present in supporting your position.

In politics and economics we are lied to every day, since to actually tell the truth might be a downer, costing political and economic points. Meanwhile churches increasingly avoid painful subjects, instead focusing on how God wants us to be happy and rich if only you believe and think good things.

Even our watch dog Media has become a lapdog for positive corporate interest. A collard creature, reporting only “happy thoughts” and rarely if ever turning over the cow patties left by soulless corporate interests and their purchased political hacks.

Now all of us should try and be positive whenever possible, but to take it to the point of delusion is problematic.

Many times you will see this in our community leaders so crippled by happy thoughts that they are confused and agitated whenever presented with facts that seem contrary to the belief - “That if you build it they will come”.

Well Danville has been building it for years, doubling the geographic area as the population shrinks, throwing money at companies, begging them to come or stay, and for what - greater deficits, less tax revenue and more social strife?

Today it becomes clear that our business, social, financial and clergy leadership are in critical condition and should seek help immediately. 

Yet they continue to lurch ahead, dragging us all with them into a delusional destructive minefield, babbling all the while that jobs will come if only we believe in attracting them and if you elect me because I’m positive I can make it happen.

Combine these characteristics with Dr Hervey Cleckley’s “Mask of Sanity” affliction and you have not only people who are challenged in making rational decisions, but have no conscience in any decision they make - a truly lethal combination.

So what is the solution? I’m not completely sure but I know this, unless we begin thinking critically the loonies who smile and tell us all is well if we just think happy, will continue to drive us at breakneck speeds to our demise.

I love you, man...

As an aside:  Although I've never seen him shirtless in front of a web camera, I've never seen him wear a shirt with a collar either.
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »

Yes, he's still doin' it:

As a life long resident of Danville and Vermilion county I have seen first hand what the effects of for-profit welfare has done to our community.

My first encounter with this mindset occurred some 35 years ago when selling life insurance. As a fraternal order our focus was on building wealth, finical security and retirement income.

After explaining our program to a young couple with a first child, he working for the post office, she a nurse, I was told they didn’t need anything that I offered because if it gets bad “the government” would take care of them. A philosophy that was completely foreign to me then, but now permeates our community.

Another experience years ago was on our children’s PTA, when we went door to door in having petitions signed against a liquor store opening down the street. Answering one door was a rude large woman, behind her 2 other women who looked pregnant, sitting watching a high volume TV, throughout the tiny house at least a dozen children of staggered ages.

We knew these kind of people as our school had the highest free lunch participants in the district. We knew these kind of children who came to school in freezing weather without coats, hats or gloves, our children knew them as classmates who were handicapped not only financially, but many times emotionally and sometimes cognitively.

Through the years the for-profit welfare system has produced a stream of children with no families, women whose worth is in being pregnant and continuing generations without heritage and therefore no self worth.

As one of the Illinois counties who regularly experience the highest unemployment rate in the state, Vermilion county also holds the top positions in unwanted pregnancies, STD rates and free lunch participants.

To ad insult to injury, several years ago Chicago began tearing down their for-profit welfare high-rises and giving the tenants vouchers good for anywhere in the state. So began a mass migration of the inner city hoodlums and gangs to Danville, where a 2 hour drive buys a lot more with local softies to rough up.

This poverty wave now brings even greater pressures to a struggling community that now has a whole new problem of violence, greater poverty numbers, which over burdeneds our social and health care systems.

In Danville today you can by a Link phone on the street for 35 dollars, about the cost of a bag of weed. A phone paid for by tax dollars that has 250 minutes on it each month, intended to help the poor but, instead used to feed the ignorance.

On the first of the month you can go to a local bank and be gagged by the smell, of filthy ignorant women, some who have soiled themselves, in the company of an unsavory male who herds them through cashing their monthly checks.

It has become an underground industry in plain sight, a baby factory without fathers, a mindset of breeding without consequences and an attitude that I don’t have to work in order to succeed.

In it’s wake we have left a trail of utter destruction in lost generations without heritage, with no sense of who they are or pride in where they’ve come. It is an ever growing portion of our society who feels entitled and will take what they want when they want, or do damage when it’s not forthcoming.

Heaven help us if the link system ever fails to payout on the first of the month.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:21 pm »

Yes, well I think we all know what the problem is....how about some solutions.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum