Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 07:36:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

THE BIG BLUFF

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: THE BIG BLUFF  (Read 268 times)
Terry

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 4 Windows User
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:39:10 pm »

The President and his Democratic buddies have threatened to stop Social Security payments if Congress fails to increase the nation's debt limit.  There are currently 52,500,000 collecting Social Security as of 2009.  If he and his pals proceed with this threat, it will be the end of the Democratic party.  Now, that would be a good thing.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:20 pm »

The President and his Democratic buddies have threatened to stop Social Security payments if Congress fails to increase the nation's debt limit.  There are currently 52,500,000 collecting Social Security as of 2009.  If he and his pals proceed with this threat, it will be the end of the Democratic party.  Now, that would be a good thing.
Hi ya Terry! You know...I find it hard to believe Obama has threatened to "stop" SS payments with the election coming up that wouldn't make much sense. I'm curious...where did you hear about this?
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:29:45 pm »

Hi ya Terry! You know...I find it hard to believe Obama has threatened to "stop" SS payments with the election coming up that wouldn't make much sense. I'm curious...where did you hear about this?
Guess you missed his news conference today.  But, it's not just the demos, the pubs are just as bad.  We're lucky though, neither will risk their big pensions, free vacations, big cars, terrific health insurance, and all the other perks they receive from being in politics.  So, they, who ever that is, will cave before the deadline.  Not because they care about us, because they don't give a rats rear end about you and me, but to save their own jobs and their plush lifestyle.
What we really need are term limits and a balanced budget amendment.  Good luck on ever getting that passed.
When I come back the next time, I'm going to be a politician or a priest because that's where the money is.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:01:53 pm by Terry » Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:12:16 pm »

Guess you missed his news conference today.  But, it's not just the demos, the pubs are just as bad.  We're lucky though, neither will risk their big pensions, free vacations, big cars, terrific health insurance, and all the other perks they receive from being in politics.  So, they, who ever that is, will cave before the deadline.  Not because they care about us, because they don't give a rats rear end about you and me, but to save their own jobs and their plush lifestyle.
What we really need are term limits and a balanced budget amendment.  Good luck on ever getting that passed.
When I come back the next time, I'm going to be a politician or a priest because that's where the money is.

Yeah...didn't see it -- I've pretty much given up TV but I agree with you. The country is in a mess and we need some drastic changes to government. Yes..it was Bush & Co. that ran the country into the ground but Obama never did much to bring on those big changes he talked about.

Better come back as a Rothschild...they own most of the Earth.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 05:27:39 pm »

Sorry folks, but in all reality we already have term limits.  It is called voting the people out of office.

I have always been against mandated term limits, as you could actually get rid of some one who might be doing a good job...the job that was intended to be done. Yes, I know that is hard to believe, but, it could happen.

If the majority of people feel some one is NOT doing the job they were elected to do, vote them out. There is your term limits.  Their term has just been limited.......  '
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:09:42 am »

Sorry folks, but in all reality we already have term limits.  It is called voting the people out of office.

I have always been against mandated term limits, as you could actually get rid of some one who might be doing a good job...the job that was intended to be done. Yes, I know that is hard to believe, but, it could happen.

If the majority of people feel some one is NOT doing the job they were elected to do, vote them out. There is your term limits.  Their term has just been limited.......  '

Tuck, the problem with your argument is that 50% of the people have no skin in the game.  They pay no taxes and therefore have no real interest in doing those things that benefit the country.  In my opinion, the politicians are pressured by these people to provide free benefits at taxpayer expense or lose their votes.  So, they cave even when there is no realistic chance that the government can actually pay for these benefits they provide. 
Now, I could agree with your point of view if you included a statement that said only those who actually pay taxes can vote.  Otherwise, we need term limits to protect these idiots from themselves, and more importantly, from us, the American taxpayer.
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »

Ok Terry, those who pay taxes......most people pay taxes of some sort, be it sales tax, income tax or even property tax. What type of tax were you referring to?

I dunno about you, but when I was approaching 18 years of age, I was looking forward to being able to vote, and have only missed one election since then. That was 40 years ago.  I try to take my voting right very serious.  I do not vote straight ticket. I vote for who I feel is best qualified. Do I make mistakes, sure, but do the best I can with what I get.

Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:18:35 am »

Ok Terry, those who pay taxes......most people pay taxes of some sort, be it sales tax, income tax or even property tax. What type of tax were you referring to?

I dunno about you, but when I was approaching 18 years of age, I was looking forward to being able to vote, and have only missed one election since then. That was 40 years ago.  I try to take my voting right very serious.  I do not vote straight ticket. I vote for who I feel is best qualified. Do I make mistakes, sure, but do the best I can with what I get.

No rub intended, Tuck.  But, I'm talking about income taxes.  It's my understanding that about 50% of the people pay zero income tax.  That's just plain wrong.  These are the people who have no skin in the game.
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:13 am »

Hey, no problem Terry, I understand what you are saying, but I am seeing things that might preclude a person from voting, if the don't pay income taxes.

I don't think a person who is on disability pays taxes, should they not be allowed to vote?  How about persons who are at or below the poverty level. How about our senior citizens who are only on Social Security? There are many people who do not pay taxes, simply because they do not earn enuff money to pay taxes.  Just some thoughts....
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »

Tuck, you're exactly correct.  Without getting into the IRS tax code, some disability payments are, in fact, taxable while others are not.  I think that our politicians should be smart enough to craft legislation to allow the truly disabled to vote and exclude the leaches on society.  I know that statement is a huge leap of faith.  The truly needy already receive welfare, medicaid, free schooling and lunches, and many other social benefits and the taxpayers, like me, pay the bill.   A lot of these folks simply have their hand out and want more and more.  I am not in favor of the redistribution of wealth that Obama is pushing.  I don't mind helping out, but only to the truly worthy.
BTW, I pay taxes on a portion of my Social Security and I suspect that most other people do as well.
So, I stand by my original statement, " If you don't pay any income tax, you don't get to vote".
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »

IMO no one should be taxed on their labor.

Just throwing this out there... http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html
Report Spam   Logged

Terry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 10:11:06 am »

The whole system of taxes needs a major overhaul.  Some people and corporations pay no taxes at all while others are taxed out of business.  Maybe the current system should be replaced with a flat tax or consumption tax.  I just don't know ......
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 04:34:30 pm »

I have been favoring the flat tax or simple sales tax.  A sales tax...where you pay, say 15% on everything you buy...that way, everyone pays their fair share, yep, even the rich folks. They would buy more, so they would pay more.....
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 10:34:12 am »

I have been favoring the flat tax or simple sales tax.  A sales tax...where you pay, say 15% on everything you buy...that way, everyone pays their fair share, yep, even the rich folks. They would buy more, so they would pay more.....
I could go for that as well.  Seems so simple, but our little minded politicians just don't get it.
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 09:10:08 am »

An interesting point was recently made that 2% of the workforce pays 44% of the federal income tax and 43% of the worforce pays 0% in federal income tax.  Some how that doesn't seem like a level playing field to me.  Everyone in the workforce should be required to pay something, even if it's just $10.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum