Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 11:33:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Ron Paul Wins Illinois Presidential Straw Poll

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ron Paul Wins Illinois Presidential Straw Poll  (Read 71 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: November 06, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

Paul Wins Illinois Presidential Straw Poll

November 6, 2011

Texas Rep. Ron Paul won a statewide straw poll that sought to determine Illinois voters' unofficial preference for the GOP presidential nomination, the Illinois Republican Party said Saturday night.

Paul won the poll with 52 percent of the vote. He won in both online and total votes.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney carried Illinois' in-person voting with 35 percent of the vote.

The Illinois straw poll — at 3,649 votes — surpassed such large states as Ohio, Florida and California that held straw polls earlier this year.

"[Saturday]'s straw poll was an excellent opportunity to showcase our party's strength one year out of the election," Illinois Republican Party Chairman Pat Brady said in a statement. "I am pleased with [Saturday]'s turnout and look forward to building on our successes from 2010."

Online voting started Oct. 29 and paper balloting went on throughout the day Saturday at about two dozen sites across Illinois. By Saturday morning, 2,400 online ballots had been filed.

Any Illinois voter could cast a ballot in the GOP straw poll with a $5 contribution to the state party. Other candidates on the ballot were: Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, John Huntsman, Rick Perry and Rick Santorum.

"I congratulate Congressman Paul on his victory," Brady said. "It is clear Illinois Republicans are gearing up (for a) tremendous election year in 2012."

The Illinois primary is March 20. Illinois is considered a state with much Democratic support. The state's electoral votes in 2008 went to President Barack Obama, who is a former U.S. senator and state senator from Illinois.

Herman Cain won a Tea Party straw poll last month in suburban Chicago, receiving 77 percent of votes from TeaCon 2011 participants. The convention included representatives from tea party groups in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin.

Source: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/06/142067274/paul-wins-illinois-presidential-straw-poll?ft=1&f=1001
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:38:44 am »

Hmmmm....I did not know anything about this poll, or was it only upstate...in the state of Chicago..... 

Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »

Hmmmm....I did not know anything about this poll, or was it only upstate...in the state of Chicago..... 

Sorry Tuck I didn't see your post until just now.

To answer your post -- The 2012 Illinois Presidential Straw Poll was conducted by the Illinois Republican Party ("IRP"). The online portion of the straw poll was powered by eVoter.com. In person voting was available at County GOP locations throughout Illinois on November 5, 2011.

I was notified of the poll by e-mail and I voted online.

Restore America Vote Ron Paul 2012!!!   
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum