Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 10:23:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Are Illinois nuke plants safe?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Illinois nuke plants safe?  (Read 97 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »

Are Illinois nuke plants safe?

Tuesday, Mar 15, 2011

<snip>
 “We are on a slippery slope,” says Mary Olson, director of the Southeast Office of the Nuclear Information and Resource Service, a networking center founded in 1978 for activists and environmentalists concerned about nuclear power. She notes that Illinois is in the seismic zone of the New Madrid fault that some say is overdue for a major earthquake, is prone to tornadoes and has 11 nuclear reactors, a handful of which are of the same 1970s design as the troubled reactors in Japan.

But Farmer said the age of the reactors wasn’t a factor in the disaster caused by the “double whammy” of a record earthquake and historic tsunami.

And a statement released Monday from John Rowe, chairman and CEO of Exelon Corp., the parent of Warrenville-based Exelon Nuclear, one of the major owners and operators of U.S. nuclear plants, says, ”Our plants are safe, particularly given the different seismic patterns in our regions and the absence of tsunami-type events where we have operations.”

He says the plants are protected against earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters, but “still we watch, we learn, and we will work with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and other policymakers, as well as industry colleagues, on what, if anything, should be done to apply what can be learned from this unprecedented situation.”

More here: http://capitolfax.com/2011/03/15/are-illinois-nuke-plants-safe/

Uh....I'm not feeling all that reassured.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Chazzy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:12:00 pm »

Has any one else heard of them putting nuke waste dump over the Mahamet Aquafire.........? I  had seen it on the channel 3 news .ONE TIME......EPA said that they had protection so it wudnt get into the Aquafirer water suppy...WHAT A JOKE, MEANING THE EPA!!!!!!!!
   I called Mr. Hayes, to ask him about it , but was informed he was out of town. But he wud call me back.  That was a month or two ago. His secretary told that he hadnt heard anything about and he wud look into it......Then she called me back and told me that they were not going to bury the waste there, but wud have the EPA call me ..GO FIGURE...WHY WUD THEY CALL ME...If they are not planning on it..........Still havent heard from Mr. Hayes..Must really be busy OR?Huh??
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum