Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 06:21:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Tilting at windmills?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tilting at windmills?  (Read 413 times)
Winston

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:00 pm »

Or rather they're tilting on their own.  (Hey, that's not duct tape holding it together, is it?!)

All those big ugly wind turbines now desecrating the once-lovely gentle slopes of Vermilion County (Rte 49 west of Collison) are another indication that we, as a nation, have been blown off a sensibly productive path, just to grab those bucks scattered on the sidelines.  ("Hey, they created some jobs and will pull in taxes!")  Oh?  Some of those mutant-mantises are already "mysteriously" falling apart before even getting off the ground -- and the builders and backers are surprised?   Gee, what could it be, birds?  Metal thieves? 
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/environment/2012-11-29/firm-tries-find-why-wind-turbine-blade-broke.html

Just more "alternative-energy" government cash cows in our own backyard, literally destined to crash.  (As with so many foreign countries taking over US land and livelihood, did no one question HOW a bankrupt country like Spain [leader in windmills, sure -- think Don Quixote] could get its mitts on so much of our $ and heritage?  Any backroom manipulations for more subsidies?)   I won't even begin to rant about whatever electricity that MAY BE produced, not even serving this area, but instead bound for the TVA, for bigger far-off cities.  ("Oh, who cares? -- those hicks and meth-heads in Vermi'n County won't." -- was this the developers' impetus for such "forward thinking"?) 

I'm all for attempts at innovation, as long as something greater is not sacrificed in trying -- in this case, the beauty and productivity of the land.  But more often than not, "progress" leads to as much loss as gain, and the loss is usually irreplaceable. 

Anyway, be sure to wave to them as you drive by.  I bet 90% won't wave back.  If they do, their arms will fall off.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure that it was a hybrid metal bird.  They were developed by the crows and black birds in retaliation for the wind mills attempt to kill off their species.
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »

Ah yes.  I heard those Danville crows were pretty crafty.  (Quoth the raven, "Never more turbines!"?)
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:49 pm »

Or rather they're tilting on their own.  (Hey, that's not duct tape holding it together, is it?!)

All those big ugly wind turbines now desecrating the once-lovely gentle slopes of Vermilion County (Rte 49 west of Collison) are another indication that we, as a nation, have been blown off a sensibly productive path, just to grab those bucks scattered on the sidelines.  ("Hey, they created some jobs and will pull in taxes!")  Oh?  Some of those mutant-mantises are already "mysteriously" falling apart before even getting off the ground -- and the builders and backers are surprised?   Gee, what could it be, birds?  Metal thieves? 
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/environment/2012-11-29/firm-tries-find-why-wind-turbine-blade-broke.html

Just more "alternative-energy" government cash cows in our own backyard, literally destined to crash.  (As with so many foreign countries taking over US land and livelihood, did no one question HOW a bankrupt country like Spain [leader in windmills, sure -- think Don Quixote] could get its mitts on so much of our $ and heritage?  Any backroom manipulations for more subsidies?)   I won't even begin to rant about whatever electricity that MAY BE produced, not even serving this area, but instead bound for the TVA, for bigger far-off cities.  ("Oh, who cares? -- those hicks and meth-heads in Vermi'n County won't." -- was this the developers' impetus for such "forward thinking"?) 

I'm all for attempts at innovation, as long as something greater is not sacrificed in trying -- in this case, the beauty and productivity of the land.  But more often than not, "progress" leads to as much loss as gain, and the loss is usually irreplaceable. 

Anyway, be sure to wave to them as you drive by.  I bet 90% won't wave back.  If they do, their arms will fall off.

Oh my....I think I know exactly how that wind turbine got broke.  It's not the first time something like this has happen.  http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/ufos/article2108149.ece
There are some pretty strange things going on out here north of Oakwood. I've got pictures!!! 
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:04:21 pm »

I'm pretty sure that it was a hybrid metal bird.  They were developed by the crows and black birds in retaliation for the wind mills attempt to kill off their species.

Not that it has anything to do with anything...your words reminded me of a band and a song that I have always loved....

Must go read the rest of the internet now....
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:09:49 pm »

I KNEW those darn aliens would show up if I came back here.

Grin  Too funny, DV, (as Murdoch's "Sun" usually is.)  'Specially the pic with ET overhead.  And written by a Ms. Brain?  Blimey!   Grin

Abrupt change then to the haunting song, thanks, (about death of songwriter's mom from serious addiction). 

Oddly, and equally off-topic, Rupert Murdoch's mom, wealthy MORAL philanthropist, just died at 103!  Hugely different life experiences, all leading to the same door...  gives pause...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-05/elisabeth-murdoch-patron-mother-of-rupert-dies-at-103.html 

Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:30 pm »

Not that it has anything to do with anything...your words reminded me of a band and a song that I have always loved....

Must go read the rest of the internet now....

Not that this has anything to do with anything...I happen to know that this performance was unrehearsed:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=218565031527089&set=vb.100001207822081&type=2&theater

And one of the most intriguing music videos that I discovered earlier this year (also see the Muppet version):
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:01:52 pm »

Oddly, and equally off-topic, Rupert Murdoch's mom, wealthy MORAL philanthropist, just died at 103!  Hugely different life experiences, all leading to the same door...  gives pause...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-05/elisabeth-murdoch-patron-mother-of-rupert-dies-at-103.html 

Rupert evidently didn't get his "morals" from his mama. I'm thinking he deserves prison time. Even so...may Mrs. Murdoch RIP.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:14 pm »

Not that this has anything to do with anything...I happen to know that this performance was unrehearsed:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=218565031527089&set=vb.100001207822081&type=2&theater

Oh my gosh!!! That's you and you're daughter isn't it? Well I'll be darned Buz...that sounded pretty darn good!

And one of the most intriguing music videos that I discovered earlier this year (also see the Muppet version):

Uh...yeah. No offense but I'm thinking I might actually like the Muppet version better. lol 
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:15:53 pm »

Danse Macabre (the guru with emus?)  Undecided

His grating voice and looks sure fit this video, which is so sinister and harsh -- then again, it's s'posed to be.  Creepy commentary about godlessness in human interaction, and written BEFORE 9/11?!  (The song was used in a film about the Enron scandal, how fitting.) 

(Sorry, didn't see any Muppets and couldn't get your first link to work, darn...)
_________

God's Away On Business  (Tom Waits/Kathleen Brennan 2000)

I'd sell your heart to the junkman baby
For a buck, for a buck
If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch
You're out of luck, you're out of luck

Ship is sinking
The ship is sinking
The ship is sinking

There's a leak, there's a leak in the boiler room
The poor, the lame, the blind
Who are the ones that we kept in charge?
Killers, thieves and lawyers

God's away, God's away
God's away on business, business
God's away, God's away

Digging up the dead with a shovel and a pick
It's a job, it's a job
Bloody moon rising with a plague and a flood
Join the mob, join the mob
It's all over, it's all over
It's all over

There's a leak, there's a leak in the boiler room
The poor, the lame, the blind
Who are the ones that we kept in charge?
Killers, thieves and lawyers

God's away, God's away
God's away, God's away on business, business

Godddamn there's always such a big temptation
To be good, to be good
There's always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby
It's a deal, it's a deal

God's away, God's away
God's away, God's away

I narrow my eyes like a coin slot baby
Let her ring, let her ring

God's away, God's away
God's away, God's away
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:08:50 pm »

Oh my gosh!!! That's you and you're daughter isn't it? Well I'll be darned Buz...that sounded pretty darn good!

My ex-sister-in-law videotaped our duet and when I returned to our table we were sitting at she handed my video-camera back to me, smiling, and said, 'Wow!  You had some people actually crying.'  I didn't think we were that bad though.

Much thanks to Winston for providing the words to Tom Waits song, I can never understand everything he says when he sings....even when wearing $3500 hearing aids.

Winston, you might have to be on my Facebook 'Friends' list to access my link.

Back to Tom Waits vs Muppets...I'd have to call it a tie, personally.  I heartily agree with one of the comments that accompany his video, he appears to be on acid.  Love those Muppets though, used to get high and watch them and LMAO.

Uh...yeah. No offense but I'm thinking I might actually like the Muppet version better. lol 
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum