Vermilion Voice
April 18, 2024, 08:54:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gangman Style....

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gangman Style....  (Read 261 times)
Winston

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

Cheesy
Precisely! -- different chapters of the same ill-conceived "Capitalizing on Cute" book.  It can all turn ugly when glory-seeking parents market their children, especially without considering what pressures those immature minds and bodies might have to endure.   

Of course it's good to nurture any talents early on.  Inordinate attention and adulation though, especially over no real talent, can create unrealistic or perverse expectations (ever see any fits thrown by "American Idol" audition losers misled into thinking they could sing?)  Being in the public arena may build poise and confidence, but "over-promotion" can also foster prima donna petulance, reckless swagger, and a false world view.  The fall back to earth can be shattering.

I don't think that is or will be radiant Jackie's case -- she does indeed have special "gifts."  But it IS unnatural, (therefore freakish and discordant to me), for a young girl to have such a grown-up voice -- as well as being thrust too soon into that spotlight of an adult world.  Some kids in show-biz are sturdy and have better guidance, so may be able to handle it, but others have become "troubled" adults (offhand -- Charlotte Church, Michael Jackson & sibs, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Drew Barrymore, Tatum O'Neal, Gary Coleman, Macauley Culkin, Corey Feldman, River Phoenix, Erin Moran from "Happy Days," "Buffy" from "Family Affair," way back to Liz Taylor, Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, even Robert Blake and "Alfalfa" from "Our Gang").   Of course they may have "had troubles" regardless (who doesn't?).  And many overcome -- "That's Life."  But why force a kid to grow up too soon? -- for money and ego trips?

Again, no direct connection to angelic-looking Jackie whose natural beauty and grace are undeniable, but the aspect of "seeming (or being forced to appear) older than what they are" does lead me to decry the unnatural "toddlers and tiaras" beauty contests in which moms show off their pretty little girls as sexualized dolls -- heavily made up and coiffed, often in provocative outfits, sometimes even having dental or plastic surgery to "perfect the look."  Is that instilling worthy values in a child?  Worse, with pedophilia such as it is, do these mothers really not see any danger in presenting their "babies" as mini-Madonnas?  What vicarious thrills might the mothers be getting out of it more than the daughters?  Grotesque, in my view, and in some cases, verging on endangerment to steal a child's innocent carefree years.  Think Jon Benet Ramsey as the most extreme and saddest outcome.
(Sorry DV, but you should know if you ask me a simple question, expect a dissertation!  But I speak from many decades of experience as "close behavioral observer" of kids of all ages, along with their parents -- which has proven to me:  it's just really easy to screw up a kid, even for some parents with best intentions.  A wonder any of us survive being young!  I myself gave up childhood early on -- no future in it.  Har.)

As for a lack of praise and adoration (Warning: OLD JOKE #2 AHEAD):
Why are Santa's little helpers always so bummed?
Low elf esteem.
Heh.

I had to google it, but found .. ONE!  In fact, "he has been called 'a funny German – the only one!' "  Grin
http://www.germancomedian.com/christian.html 

(Seriously now, let us not forget the marvelous MARX Bros, sons of German mom Minnie and French dad Sam -- who encouraged their sons' musical talents early on, so ... uh, scrap everything I said above...  Roll Eyes)

Ok, will stop hogging the cyber-floor. "Tis the season for other stuff, you know.  Hope it's a good one for all. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum