Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 09:34:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Memories

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Memories  (Read 1106 times)
granny1

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:10:14 am »

Site to revisit memories of old friends, places in Danville and around Vermilion county. So much has changed around us, memories of places and people can take us back. Can never replace them, but give us good times  to remember.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:49 am »

I grew up out West of Danville. We used to live close to one of the mine ponds out that way. There were no house around all those ponds and there were usually huge sticker bushes separating the ponds from the road. At one time there was a huge dump. Now many of the houses along Gun Club Rd and Evans have really nice docks and picnic areas, flowers gardens and the like across from their houses. And there are really nice houses that have been built across the pond which is now part of Leisure Time, I guess.

I just wish it would have been like that when I was growing up.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
granny1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:21:03 pm »

We lived out there when I was young. I remember what you are talking about. Ironic, my son has a cabin in Leisure Time Estates now. Would never have thought that would happen back then. We were always told to stay away from the ponds, they were dangerous. Now we sit on his dock. My mom and dad would not believe it.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »

We lived out there when I was young. I remember what you are talking about. Ironic, my son has a cabin in Leisure Time Estates now. Would never have thought that would happen back then. We were always told to stay away from the ponds, they were dangerous. Now we sit on his dock. My mom and dad would not believe it.

We were told the same thing because some of those ponds are really deep. There was a boy that drowned down there and I remember seeing them drag the pond for his body. Seems like his name was Donnie Clark and his family lived in Hillery.

Anyway...that one end off Oakwood Ave. to Gun Club hadn't been filled in like it is now. Luckily we all learned how to swim at an early age. We all found places to get down by the water and go fishing. There were some huge bass in there...I suppose there still is.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
nancyo

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:37:48 pm »

We swam in several of those ponds all summer long as well as the shale pit in the Heights.  Mom would have killed us if she knew.  I look back and think how dangerous it was but we were lucky and no one was ever hurt or even came close to having problems.  Would have been in the late 50's.  Back then they were just mine ponds and I sure remember some of those sticker bushes!  Now it is a luxury area.  How times change.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:18:56 pm »

We swam in several of those ponds all summer long as well as the shale pit in the Heights.  Mom would have killed us if she knew.  I look back and think how dangerous it was but we were lucky and no one was ever hurt or even came close to having problems.  Would have been in the late 50's.  Back then they were just mine ponds and I sure remember some of those sticker bushes!  Now it is a luxury area.  How times change.

I still have about a 3" faint scare on my leg from one of those sticker bushes...it got me good!
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:56:23 pm »

Hey nancyo, good to see you here.  You will have to start a Pet Thread....... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:20 am »

Hey nancyo, good to see you here.  You will have to start a Pet Thread....... Wink

That's a good idea. We have 4 dogs...2 Beagles...1 Lab...and a Lab/Mastiff mix. He weighed 180 lbs. last vet visit. We call him Big Dawg!
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:23:31 pm »

Our last pet, a registered Tri colored Collie (Topper), died about 8 years ago.  We vowed to never get another one because it hurt too bad to lose them.  My grandson bought his wife a Boston Terrier and when they rented a house that didn't allow pets we offered to take him (Dodger), however, before we could pick him up someone stole him out of her grandmothers yard.  They found the thieves, who were stealing only bulldog pups, but they never found Dodger.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
nancyo

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 01:51:00 pm »

Start a thread Huh  Hey I'm doing well just finding my way around.  Maybe in a few days (or weeks) when I am a little more comfortable.  Anyone who is doing better than I am sure could start one.  I can always come up with some story for it.  Gotta make all these critters I slave over earn their keep somehow.
Report Spam   Logged
Rabbittown Ron

View Profile
Combination Level 2 Level 1
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:06:40 pm »

Hi everyone. I used to post on the old CN forum befor the last one. I have enjoyed reading for the most part so I thought that I would join this one.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 06:14:19 pm »

Start a thread Huh  Hey I'm doing well just finding my way around.  Maybe in a few days (or weeks) when I am a little more comfortable.  Anyone who is doing better than I am sure could start one.  I can always come up with some story for it.  Gotta make all these critters I slave over earn their keep somehow.

If you scroll down to recent posts on the left hand side of the page that's a good way to view posts and you can click and read each one or an even easier way is to go past the recent post and under Forum Stats is a link for View the most recent posts on the forum and you can just scroll all the posts like you would in a guest book. That works for me better than anything else!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:17:48 pm »

Hi everyone. I used to post on the old CN forum befor the last one. I have enjoyed reading for the most part so I thought that I would join this one.

Welcome Rabbittown Ron...make yourself at home. I wasn't around for the old>old forum...glad you decided to join us here!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »

Well i i finally got on here. Thank you, DegaVu very much for helping me through it. I too lived out west and swam in Ed Fonners ponds. we hac some great parties out there. I used to get a kick out of Ed, we would sit in the Nugget and drink a couple beers and Ed told me i could fish in them ponds, he let almost everyone fish there., but Vernon his son would catch me in there and always try an run me out .....i always told him to go ask his dad...he would dtill be at the Nugget.. great memories...........Then moved to Rabbit town..really liked it down there,had a lot of fun.

Report Spam   Logged
Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »

SORRY DejaVU, now ya know why i had so much trouble getting logged in here
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum