Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 11:44:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

New Danville beltline proposal meets with resistance

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Danville beltline proposal meets with resistance  (Read 867 times)
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »

One thing that has been bothering me since this all came up is the comment by some who are in favor of the beltway.  They keep stating there is lots of room for development along this beltway as well as room to build it in the first place.  Well, that land belongs to someone!  Granted there are many people who would want to sell their property especially if it is just extra "running room" around their home.  But there are also folks who have farmed it for years or bought acreage so they could have a perimeter around them.  Will they be forced to sell under the Eminent Domain laws?  I think that is the name of the status that gives government the right to force a sale when it is considered to be for the good of the city, state or whatever the governing body is. 
Well that's the way I see it Nancy. What also gets me are those who claim their is limited space available for Industry. Well if that's their case then why not explain to me what the purpose of the Beltway is? We have land out east as far to the Illinois Indiana state line. Land available to the Northeast and Southeast yet they say not large enough for Industry.
Danville is in a crisis as is many communities across the nation. We can't have the Build it, They Will Come attitude.
Ofcourse there will be people who will drive on it including myself. If it will get me to my point of destination faster then I will drive it. Develop this land for Industry or retail, or both? If it's for retail then expect declining sales revenue from the businesses whose losses are due to the Beltline. Some will say it will even itself out by both stores sales. Yes that's correct until that retailer goes out of business. This mean loss of tax revenue and a loss of an established business due to nonsense. The same kind of nonsense Danville Leaders gave to the residents of Danville when they constructed the downtown mall. We won't go there because it's a different topic yet the same kind of bungling leadership we have had in Danville over the many years.
We had a decent Mayor in Jones. We had a decent Mayor in Gardner. Roland Craig wasn't that bad. You would have to go back all the way to Girth Hicks to find the next best Mayor.
I don't have the solution to Danville's woes but I am convinced it sure isn't a Beltway. That is like putting the cart before the horse mentality.
It's evident none of us are going to change our minds any time soon. Tell you what, when I do you guys will be the first to know. When I'm wrong I will admit it. Hope nobody is holding their breath on this one.
I understand your disappointment with the direction that Danville has gone over the last several decades.  We all share that pain and wish our economy had fared better.  Fact is, it didn't.  That doesn't mean that we should give up or lose our spirit.  No, this is a time when we must find a way to renew our hope, to energize ourselves and become more determined to fix our problems.  If we accept that we are a 2ND rate city, that's what we will become.  I'm convinced that we're better than that.
We live in a beautiful community, filled with wonderful and caring people.  Neighbors care about each other and want only the best for their friends, relatives, and family.
We must look to the future, we must plan for it, we must do that which is necessary to take advantage of the potential that may come our way.  Maybe, the beltline is part of that future promise.  I don't know for sure that it is, but I do know, if we lose the opportunity and fail to take advantage of anything available, it will cost us in the long run.
Downtown Danville died because of the loss of jobs in manufacturing in our community.  We were a one job town.  When it went down, so did we all.  We lost our focus because we only knew one thing, manufacturing.  When that went, so did retailing.  Those that were left, lost there focus on service and quality and went down with the factories.
When I moved here in 1978, and needed help, retailers told me, " If you didn't buy it here and you need service, go to hell".  How smart was that?  There gone today, mostly because of their smug attitudes.  They've been replaced by the big time guys like Walmart, Best Buy and others, like the Internet retailers.
We need to get with the 20Th century and realize that we must go after what we want.  It will not come to us by sitting on our rear end and waiting for things to get better.  Now is the time to revitalize our city.  Don't stop potential progress.
If you came to Danville in 1978 General Motors was still going strong. All of Danville's Industry was flourishing then.
Danville's problem began shortly after Nafta. We lost  because Mexico was the most cost effective manuvere for Industry. Danville's Mayor's and Commissioners delivered the boom to downtown econmy. It wasn't until years later they admitted their wrong. Too Late!
Everybody wants only the best for Danville. Building a Beltway will not be the solution. We need to sell ourselves to Industries that want to locate or expand. We need to have salespeople who can get that job accomplished. I'm convince that is not Vicky and most importantly not Mr Scott Eisenhauer.
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 10:55:13 am »

Danville's problems started as a result of being a "one job" town.  And, yes, NAFTA didn't help our current situation.  All of the jobs did not go to Mexico; many went to the southern states where there were cheaper wages and less union intervention.  Some jobs went away in part because of poor quality and the cost of production, like GM, for example.
Now we would all like to have those jobs come back to Danville.  And, I for one, am willing to believe our city managers when they say we need infrastructure and available land for development before that will happen.  
You may need salespeople to get the job done.  But, salespeople need something to sell.  Right now, Danville has nothing to offer or to attract any new manufacturer or large office type project.
Other cities facing the same problems as Danville are moving forward with projects to attract the kind of businesses that we want.  And, the best part is that the Feds are willing to pick up the tab.  We must move forward or we will continue to die.  Stagnation is not an option any longer.  
Report Spam   Logged
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 05:51:03 pm »

NAFTA wasn't the only thing that contributed (significantly, IMO) to Danville's demise.  You must also consider the impact that the EPA and the chlorofluorocarbon scare had on the community once known as the "AEROSOL FILLING CAPITOL OF THE WORLD".  At one time, if it came in a spray can, chances are 90% that it came from Danville, Il.

Add-in the effects of OSHA, then take a tour of the Central Foundry and it's not hard to understand why we were doomed from the start. Though a damn good wage payer, the GM foundry was arguably among the least safest places to work.

Danville ultimately suffered the same illness that befell the steel industry in what was once known as the Rust Belt along the Great Lakes, all the way from Gary, IN to Pittsburgh and all points in between. About the only safe (if you can call it that) union job these days is to be a coal miner, and IMO that job is in some jeopardy too now that natural gas is in such plentiful abundance and cheap (and clean-burning).

Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 06:24:37 pm »

I don't know if all the hype has gotten to me or what, but I think Danville would do well to get or start companies that manufacture solar panels, wind turbines and the such.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 06:45:33 pm »

I don't know if all the hype has gotten to me or what, but I think Danville would do well to get or start companies that manufacture solar panels, wind turbines and the such.
Most likely unbeknownst to many Danvillians, but there is (or is about to be) a wind farm of several turbines established up in the immediate vicinity of Collison.  If looking for work, it just might behoove you to do a little nosing around up there.  It's not exactly a secret, just not well publicized. If you have anyone (a friend, etc) up around Collison that you can check with, I believe I'd be checking.
Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
Radardude

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »

Actually, there are 3 wind farms that will probably be built in the county in the next 5 years.

DACC is putting together a curriculum that will enable them to offer a degree in the industry.
I'm not sure how far along they are with it, but it would be worth a call.

Also, railroads still have good unions and pay and they have been hiring quite frequently in the last couple of decades.
Their workforce is aging and they are  replacing them in droves.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »

Most likely unbeknownst to many Danvillians, but there is (or is about to be) a wind farm of several turbines established up in the immediate vicinity of Collison.  If looking for work, it just might behoove you to do a little nosing around up there.  It's not exactly a secret, just not well publicized. If you have anyone (a friend, etc) up around Collison that you can check with, I believe I'd be checking.

I knew something was in the works for that. I think it's great!

Firm proposes wind farm in Champaign, Vermilion counties
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 09:47:00 pm »

Yup. Invenergy was the company negotiating right of way easements up around Collison. I know one of the landowners up thattaway is how I found out about it.

Report Spam   Logged

Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 08:52:12 am »

The story about the wind farm around Collison should be no secret to anyone. It has been well publicized in the Commercial News for quite some time.

White Construction from Clinton, Indiana has had contracts to install quite a number of these throughout the U.S. and Canada.

I would not think there would be more than a handfull of jobs to operate a wind farm, but they would probably be well paying jobs.
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 08:19:09 pm »

If it doesn't send the traffic right down vermilion street it will continue to meet with resistance.My guess is the typical Danville solution will be to propose more traffic lights on Vermilion st.I am in favor of the beltline. Somebody posted it was easier for them to hop onto I-74 & go to Champaign than fight their way north.

Maybe,right now we don't need the beltline but it could be a big plus in the future.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum