Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 10:01:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

There is a huge green bug on my picture window! Photo!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: There is a huge green bug on my picture window! Photo!  (Read 807 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:01:45 pm »

Look at this thing! Seriously...it's been on our picture window all day. I don't know what it is but if it stays much longer we'll probably end up giving it a name and start feeding it.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:21:35 pm »

Kind of looks like a grasshopper............................ Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Radardude

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:29:10 pm »

That's the money you could have saved if you switched to Geico.

(The eyes are busy at another location)
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:38:22 pm »

Now that's funny....................... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »

Kind of looks like a grasshopper............................ Grin

It kinda does...but then again it doesn't really look like any of the bugs I'm used to seeingGrin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:08 pm »

That's the money you could have saved if you switched to Geico.

(The eyes are busy at another location)

Good one! I love it!
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:55 pm »

It kinda does...but then again it doesn't really look like any of the bugs I'm used to seeingGrin

What, you got Cooties?  (Those plastic ones, I mean.  Remember that game?  $90 asking price for a set from 1966 on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cootie-Build-a-Cootie-Bug-Game-1966-No-200-1949_W0QQitemZ380113762682QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:105
And the value of a GIANT COOTIE:   $150 - $250 (never saw one of those, unless that's what's on the window there)...
http://www.angelfire.com/az2/gamesgoneby/giantcootie.html

Yep, good one, Radardude.  Gosh, I love all the jokesters here!   Grin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:39:39 pm by Winston » Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:36:28 pm »

What, you got Cooties?  (Those plastic ones, I mean.  Remember that game?  $90 asking price for a set from 1966 on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cootie-Build-a-Cootie-Bug-Game-1966-No-200-1949_W0QQitemZ380113762682QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:105
And the value of a GIANT COOTIE:   $150 - $250 (never saw one of those, unless that's what's on the window there)...
http://www.angelfire.com/az2/gamesgoneby/giantcootie.html

Yep, good one, Radardude.  Gosh, I love all the jokesters here!   Grin

Well...if that thing on my window was a Cootie, he's gone now....so I don't have the Cootie anymore.

Wow...I think I might have actually had one of those Cootie games...but not that Giant one. Never even knew it existed. Learn something new every day.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 03:05:57 pm »

Another thing I found rather humorous -- whenever I've checked this page, right under the heading of "There is a huge green bug on my picture window!" and above Google ads for other insects, there's a big photo of Sarah Palin.   Cheesy
Then it's replaced by an ad for pc game "Combat Arms - Armed and Contagious."    Hmm.   
Report Spam   Logged
Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 04:29:01 pm »

That looks like a Katydid to me.

Not sure what she did.........

Link to picture of a Katydid

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/ginger749_1195709182_110.jpg&imgrefurl=http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/5519/&usg=__5EnBRTGIBrHkPnXM8LnYvg46Tnk=&h=594&w=800&sz=313&hl=en&start=37&um=1&tbnid=N-qRZTdYx01XmM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkatydid%2Binsect%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26start%3D21%26um%3D1
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
Pretender

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:13:56 pm »

The katydids were out in full force at my place starting yesterday. I have a bug zapper and think a couple of them made it through the small openings in the guard which keeps butterflies and pets from getting into it. Takes awhile to zap something that big! Don't like zapping, but got a lot of gnats, etc. fluttering around the area.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 07:24:30 pm »

Pretender, I think bug zappers, like tasers, are supposed to force Enlightenment into the bugs.  At least, seems they "learn" not to bug anyone any further.  Wink

Thanks Hhop, I think you've solved the mystery.  The only katydid evidence I've ever seen are the big brown shells clinging to trees, apparently after they've changed into their Superbug costumes and flown off, fighting bug crime.  Not sure what all those antennae pick up, but I bet it's a better signal than I hear DTV converter boxes get...    Cheesy

Here's a lady who definitely seems to have gone buggy over them...
http://blog.hmns.org/?p=359
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »

Oh no, beg your pardon bug-fans!   Tongue Sorry, I'm getting my crispy critters all confused.  Now I'm thinking Cicadas are the brown crunchy things.  Sorta remind me of crunchy pork rinds, although I've never actually eaten one (a cicada, that is) ...  (although I do wonder what all's in the Chinese take-away I get on occasion...)   Grin
http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/walker/buzz/i00dis.htm
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 09:40:49 pm »

Pretender, I think bug zappers, like tasers, are supposed to force Enlightenment into the bugs.  At least, seems they "learn" not to bug anyone any further.  Wink

Thanks Hhop, I think you've solved the mystery.  The only katydid evidence I've ever seen are the big brown shells clinging to trees, apparently after they've changed into their Superbug costumes and flown off, fighting bug crime.  Not sure what all those antennae pick up, but I bet it's a better signal than I hear DTV converter boxes get...    Cheesy

Here's a lady who definitely seems to have gone buggy over them...
http://blog.hmns.org/?p=359

That's what it looked like! I wasn't about to get close enough to take a full frontal photo outside.  Hmmmm...I wonder how it got all the way here from Malaysia???  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 10:02:11 pm »

Hmmmm...I wonder how it got all the way here from Malaysia???  Grin
Well, right now with the bad economy, I keep hearing about all those cheap flights.  Cheesy  And of course, he does have those extra longs legs that surely jump pretty far.  Maybe he heard about your swell forum and wanted to hop in.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum