Vermilion Voice
April 18, 2024, 09:05:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The Community-Wide Finance Committee

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Community-Wide Finance Committee  (Read 134 times)
buzorro

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:23:20 am »

Some of you may remember that on the C-N Forum I posted that, by forming this committee, the Mayor was basically 'giving up' on trying to find ways to come up with at least $1.5 million in cuts to help balance the city’s budget.  I pointed out that this is why some cities have City Managers instead of Mayors, and some have both.  IMHO, the Mayor can't bring himself to be the 'bad guy.'  City Managers don't have to confront the public or deal with City employees on a personal level, they just deal with facts and figures.

Here's some snippets from today's C-N report on the latest Committee meeting:

...as members started talking about “non-essential” city employees remaining on the payroll and other possible cuts, City Comptroller Gayle Brandon warned that city business can’t just stop.

“All (current employees) have jobs to do,” she said. “We can’t stop.”

But committee member Wayne Haugen said every company is re-evaluating how it does business and looking at all employees’ duties. Employees are being asked to do more.

Public Works Director Doug Ahrens said “we will run the best department you provide us resources for.”

(Note: I remember war criminal, Donald Rumsfield, making the same argument)

Committee member Heather McKiernan also said city employees, especially union employees and all employees with their better than average health insurance benefits, must be willing to help the city out in these tough times.

(Private sector employee unions vs. government employee unions...the former are dying, the latter continue to fight)

http://www.commercial-news.com/local/local_story_239215959.html

A few of you may remember that on the original C-N Forum, seven (?) years ago, I warned of this.  Our local economy is directly affected by actions of the federal government.  Back then the nation's real economy was headed downward (the jets that hit the WTC on 9-11 were only carrying 25% of their capacity), and when war criminal Bush chose to illegally and immorally start a war, that was the beginning of the end.  Rebuilding an economy AND ramping up military spending?  Impossible without huge tax increases.  But Bush wanted to build up our economy, increase military spending AND cut taxes!  Idiot!

I posted back then that I wouldn't want to be the Mayor or County Board Chairman.  Both are accessible to an angry, tax-weary public, while the 'real' scoundrels are hidden away in their offices in Washington, DC., or Springfield.  And when they do venture out in town-hall meetings...look out!
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum