Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 12:05:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

CHIROPRACTIC: How much healing? How much Flim-Flam?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CHIROPRACTIC: How much healing? How much Flim-Flam?  (Read 791 times)
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:54 pm »

Why would anyone go to a Chiropractor?

Did you know this?

1.   A Chiropractor cannot administer or prescribe any type or any form of prescription medication whatsoever  (i.e., those medications kept behind the counter at your neighborhood pharmacy, such as antibiotics, cholesterol medications, diabetes drugs, arthritis drugs, prescription strength pain medications, heart medications, etc., etc.,. for which a MEDICAL doctor’s prescription is required)

2.   A Chiropractor cannot prescribe medical appliances (crutches, wheelchair, prosthetic devices, orthotics, Hoveround, etc)

3.   A Chiropractor cannot (legally) draw blood for any purpose

4.    A Chiropractor cannot administer a hypodermic injection (give you a shot)

5.   A Chiropractor cannot suture (sew-up) any type of cut or wound

6.   A Chiropractor cannot set a fracture or broken bone

7.   A Chiropractor cannot perform any type of surgery

8.   A Chiropractor cannot perform any type of obstetrical or gynecological procedure, including pap smears & childbirth (may assist in childbirth emergencies only while acting as a good Samaritan, not as a doctor or healthcare professional, and therefore may not charge a fee)

9.   A Chiropractor cannot perform any type of invasive procedure for the purpose of treating or diagnosing any illness, infection  or disease

10.   A Chiropractor cannot administer a cardiac stress test or electrocardiogram

11.   A Chiropractor cannot treat you for internal bleeding

12.   A Chiropractor cannot treat the mouth, teeth or gums for any ailment including TMJ

13.   A Chiropractor cannot treat or drain any cyst or boil

14.   A Chiropractor cannot perform a digital exam of the prostate gland

15.   A Chiropractor cannot conduct a hearing test or prescribe a hearing aid

16.   A Chiropractor cannot  perform tests of visual acuity or prescribe glasses or contact lenses

17.   A Chiropractor cannot perform or conduct any type of psychiatric procedure or psychological examination or counseling

18.   A Chiropractor cannot treat any rash or skin disease or infection

19.   A Chiropractor cannot treat any foot disorder, including puncture wounds, toenail fungus or an ingrown nail

20.   A Chiropractor cannot  treat you for a gunshot wound (beyond  routine 1st aid, without fee)

21.   A Chiropractor cannot  claim exemption from or receive any type of military deferment

22.   A Chiropractor upon entering the military goes in as a regular buck private with no special privileges or rank (Unlike a real medical doctor who immediately attains at least the rank of Captain or above)

23.   A Chiropractor has no staff privileges at any medical hospital in the USA

24.   A Chiropractor may administer First Aid in any emergency, so long as he/she does so while  acting as a Good Samaritan, without charging any fee for service.
Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:02:28 pm »

If Chiropractic helps you, it is very likely that a whirlpool bath and/or professional massage would have had the same (or better) result with less risk and no sales pitch to keep coming back.
Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:06:14 pm »

Did you know that many Chiropractors advise against being vaccinated against common illnesses including polio, measles, smallpox, diphtheria, influenza, etc?

Why do you suppose that is?

Maybe it's because they aren't licensed to prescribe those medications of administer them.  Did you ever think about that?
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:12:10 pm »

Did a chiropractor do something bad to you or someone you know? I'm just curious why you feel compelled to expose them. I'm not saying I disagree with you....just being nosey.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:32:20 pm »

Did a chiropractor do something bad to you or someone you know? I'm just curious why you feel compelled to expose them. I'm not saying I disagree with you....just being nosey.  Grin

You mean exposing them as frauds? In my opinion, chiropractic is tantamount to legalized quackery. The whole theory on which chiropractic is based is, in my opinion, a fraud and a hoax perpetrated upon the human race by "practitioners" of chiropractic, claiming to be doctors. 

Though technically legal in the US, the use of the term "doctor" in their title is only one of many forms of deception chiropractors use to falsely imply that they are licensed "medical" practitioners. Of course they are not, but they will seldom tell you that and in fact revel in the notion of being perceived by you as such. The truth is your local fireman/paramedic has more (and better) medical training than the average chiropractor.  Several chiropractic colleges only requirement for admission is that you are financially able to pay the tuition. They'll literally take you in with only a GED.  Many graduates of Chiropractic colleges are persons who flunked out or otherwise couldn't make it in medical school.

VICTIMS of chiropractic are frequently the weak-minded, ignorant and superstitious and other foolish people who have been sick for years and have become tired of conventional medical practitioners and want health by the short-cut method. The "slick salesmanship" of Chiropractic to successfully hoodwink patients into believing they are better. You're not any better at all, though you've been convinced that you are.... and trust me, these Chiros are pros when it comes to convincing you.

The normally-restrained U.S. Department of Health spoke up loudly to say that "Chiropractic theory and practice are not based upon the body of basic knowledge related to health, disease, and health care that has been widely accepted by the scientific community. Moreover, irrespective of its theory, the scope and quality of chiropractic education do not prepare the practitioner to make an adequate diagnosis and provide appropriate treatment."

Chiropractic is not about healing at all, it's about making money for the chiropractor.  Lots of money. Compare to a licensed medical doctor who will usualy not want to see you again (or no more than once or twice) after he treats you. The Chiropractor, by comparison, will strongly encourage you to continue coming in for "adjustments" ... usually for just as many as your insurance will allow. The magic number is most often 20 per year because that's how many most private health insurance plans will pay for.  In fact some very unscrupulous chiropractors have been known to sign you up for a series of adjustments (usually 20) which you then have to pay for whether you complete the series or not.  Is that healing or huckstering?

It has been suggested (in the New Zealand Medical Journal) that chiropractic manipulation (of the cervical spine.... ie the neck) is the number one reason for people suffering a stroke under the age of 45.

Chiropractors have no official code of ethics. None at all.  Not even a simple code of business ethics.  Contrast this to a licensed medical practitioner's  "Hippocratic Oath" - First do no harm.

There are many excellent publications available on the subject of chiropractic & revealing it for the scam that it is.  One very good web site is http://www.chirobase.org   Contrary to what you might think, the information offered at that site offers some balance and is certainly not all anti-Chiropractic.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:09:06 pm by Cap'n Preshoot » Report Spam   Logged

Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:30:11 pm »

INTERESTING CONTRADICTION

Am I the only one to find it more than just a little ironic that while chiropractors believe the body has the innate ability to heal itself, that same gift doesn't extend to the backbone? For many chiropractors, it takes God to heal the body, but chiropractic to heal the spine.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 10:02:17 pm by Cap'n Preshoot » Report Spam   Logged

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:41:20 am »

A few years ago, a friend of mine went to a Chiropractor because he had some neck problems. That night, he had a stroke and was hospitalized.  Coincidence ?  I don't think so, but you be the judge.
Report Spam   Logged
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 11:16:31 am »

A few years ago, a friend of mine went to a Chiropractor because he had some neck problems. That night, he had a stroke and was hospitalized.  Coincidence ?  I don't think so, but you be the judge.

How common are strokes following chiropractic neck manipulation? Nobody knows. No clinical research has addressed this problem, and chiropractic malpractice insurance companies have refused to make their data public. Most speculations run from 1 in 400,000 to 1 in 3,000,000. But when manipulations are done without valid reason -- as they often are -- no complication is excusable.

The following comes from an article, DON'T LET CHIROPRACTORS FOOL YOU  (by Stephen Barrett, M.D.)

"One patient proven to have been killed by neck manipulation was Kristi A. Bedenbaugh, a medical office administrator and former beauty queen from Little Mountain, South Carolina. In 1993, Kristi consulted a chiropractor seeking relief from the pain of sinus headaches. During her second visit, she suffered a stroke immediately after the chiropractor manipulated her neck. She died three days later, one day before her 25th birthday. The autopsy revealed that the manipulation had split the inside walls of both of her vertebral arteries, causing the walls to balloon and block the blood supply to the lower part of her brain. Additional studies concluded that blood clots had formed on the days the manipulation took place. In 1997, the State Board of Chiropractic Examiners of South Carolina issued a consent order in which the chiropractor agreed to pay a $1,000 fine and to acquire 12 hours of continuing education credits in the areas of neurological disorders and emergency response."

Imagine.... a $1,000 fine for killing someone. Of course that was the state board of Chiropractic Examiners, the chiro's own "peer group". God forbid they sanction the chiro or jerk his/her license.  I attempted to research this a little further, but if a malpractice suit was ever filed, it was apparently hushed up, something chiropractic malpractice insurance carriers are known for doing.

According to an article in the New Zealand Journal of Medicine, chiropractic adjustment of the neck is believed to be the single most common cause of a stroke in patients under the age of 45.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 05:17:55 pm by Cap'n Preshoot » Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 11:25:50 am »

I had posted this on the Swine Flu thread after your comment about "anti quackery campaign."   I thought I should bring it here as the comment is about chropractors:

As for your anti quakery-campaign,  years ago when we lived in Gibson City, Illinois and operated a nursing home called Gibson Manor, we admitted a cancer patient who was near death.  Most of his back was eaten away with the disease and I remember that we had to use special room deoderizers to mask the smell coming from his wounds.  The man had put all his faith in a Chiropractor instead of seeing an MD.  By the time he was diagnosed by an MD it was too late.  Having said that, I am not sure, with the type of cancer he was suffering from, that the MD could have saved him, but the Chiropractor should have referred him and instead continued to treat him.  Needless to say there was a lawsuit and since then I have had no use for the Chiropractic profession, although I know people who swear by them. 
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:45 pm »

GA:

Most often the people who "swear by" chiropractors are those with anecdotal symptoms.  It is commonly recognized, even by medical professionals, that most illnesses will eventually heal themselves (with or without treatment) hence when this occurs it is natural for the chiro to "suggest" (often in very influential and convincing terms) that you were healed by chiropractic when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.  The truth is you just got better, like getting over a cold.  Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer are two common diseases that quite often "go into remission" from time to time. Real doctors know this, but again chiropractors will "seize" on this as "evidence" that chiropractic works and try to convince the patient to keep coming in for those all-important adjustments.

The "Placebo effect" is also a widely known phenomenon that is understood by medical professionals, which is exactly why scientific studies are "double-blind" where neither the patient nor the doctor know whether the patient is receiving the real deal or not. It has to be that way, else the test result is anecdotal and not scientific.

It is also a known fact that many patients respond (get better or think they are better) just from the power of suggestion, hence going to the doctor, ANY DOCTOR, even their veterinarian, or God forbid, a Chiropractor, may have the patient believing they are better. This is another method by which chiropractors are able to "win over" patients and have them swearing by chiropractic. Was the ailment "all in their head"? Who knows. Of course the chiropractor does nothing to dissuade this line of thinking.  You have to understand the power of the human mind to play tricks on you and upon the training or the slick talking chiropractor to not only manipulate your spine but manipulate your thoughts as well. In these occasional instances of "spontaneous cure" you could have gone to a gypsy seance or a Jehovah's Witness prayer meeting and obtained the same benefit, provided you had belief in that method.

In all fairness, sometimes a chiropractic adjustment of the spine has been acknowledged as effective in relieving back pain or in helping the patient with the back ailment to feel better sooner. However, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that a chiropractic spinal adjustment is any more beneficial than a whirlpool bath and professional massage from a licensed massage therapist.

Where the chiropractor gets in trouble (and the patient's health is endangered) is when the chiro adjusts the cervical spine (the neck) or exposes the patient to full spinal X-rays or begins spouting chiropractic gobbledegook about chiropractic's alleged ability to cure disease.

There is nothing at all scientific about chiropractic. It has been demonstrated time and time again that a "test" patient can go to 5 different chiropractors and get 5 different diagnoses.  Chiropractic is bulls***, period, please note the period.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 05:09:18 pm by Cap'n Preshoot » Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 01:18:30 pm »

You don't want to get me started on un-necessary surgeries or medical treatments, that includes back surgery and giving Ritalin to school children.....  I read an article recently (I'll have to see if I can locate it) that back surgery doesn't work......well dah, when you have to repeat it, that should be a clue!   The new medical concept is to stay on your feet when you have back pain......laying around only increases the muscle tension, but if you get up and go it will work out.   Lining children up to see the nurse  for their daily doses of Ritalin and then preaching "Just say no to drugs" ...well you get my drift.  Good nutrition and a little attention would solve the problem.............been there and done that.

Placebos work!  The doctors I have worked with have prescribed a lot of them.  Gives new meaning to "what you don't know, won't hurt you."

I firmly believe your statement about most illnesses healing themselves, thus the reason neither my husband or I take any medications other than suppliments or vitamins.  Oh, and we don't take the flu shots either.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 06:32:28 pm »

You don't want to get me started on un-necessary surgeries or medical treatments, that includes back surgery and giving Ritalin to school children.....  I read an article recently (I'll have to see if I can locate it) that back surgery doesn't work......well dah, when you have to repeat it, that should be a clue!   The new medical concept is to stay on your feet when you have back pain......laying around only increases the muscle tension, but if you get up and go it will work out.   Lining children up to see the nurse  for their daily doses of Ritalin and then preaching "Just say no to drugs" ...well you get my drift.  Good nutrition and a little attention would solve the problem.............been there and done that.

Placebos work!  The doctors I have worked with have prescribed a lot of them.  Gives new meaning to "what you don't know, won't hurt you."

I firmly believe your statement about most illnesses healing themselves, thus the reason neither my husband or I take any medications other than suppliments or vitamins.  Oh, and we don't take the flu shots either.

Ritalin? Methylphenidate?  You mean the magic pill parents administer to their out-of-control, rude and ill-mannered children in lieu of a good old-fashioned spanking?  Oh yes, I'm all too familiar with the drug.  However, this is beginning to drift a little off-topic, so whatsay we take this to a separate thread?  See-ya there....

Report Spam   Logged

Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 08:08:18 pm »

From Consumer Health Digest

"Chiropractic class-action suits filed against insurance companies

Two suits have been filed by chiropractors against insurance companies that have tried to recover what they believe were unwarranted payments. One suit (Case No. 3:09-cv-03761), filed in New Jersey Federal Court by five practitioners and three state associations, charges that Aetna made improper repayment demands and that its post-payment audit process violates the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).
http://www.casewatch.org/civil/chiro/aetna/complaint.pdf The action also claims that certain Aetna clinical policy bulletins misclassify chiropractically accepted procedures as experimental and investigational. The other suit (Case No. 1:09-cv-05619), filed in Chicago by 15 practitioners and their state associations, accuses the BlueCross BlueShield Association and a number of its state-based licensees of similar wrongdoing.
http://www.casewatch.org/civil/chiro/bcbs/complaint.pdf

The amounts of money involved in the individual payment disputes vary from a few thousand dollars to several hundred thousand. Both suits seek class-action status for all health care providers who, during the previous six years, were asked to return money based on post-payment determinations that their services were not "covered services" or "medically necessary."

Report Spam   Logged

Zambi88

View Profile
Level 2 Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 12:11:26 am »

Hey dear, my grandmother has extreme knee pain and I want her to get some permanent treatment using chiropractic care but I am not able to find any good chiropractors in Mississauga for her therapy. Was just wondering if anyone here could help me regarding this!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum