Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 12:53:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

FACTS about health issues, doctors, meds, vaccination, disease & health scams

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FACTS about health issues, doctors, meds, vaccination, disease & health scams  (Read 190 times)
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:58:33 pm »

Dear friends,

Contrary to the sound of the name of this web site, by spending a little of your time exploring it you will learn, as I have, many interesting, eye-opening things about many topics of health care, endorsing valid treatments and exposing the myths, lies and frauds. I found the site especially enlightening. I hope you do as well and will refer others to this great resource:

http://www.quackwatch.org

I would also like to refer you to another great (free) resource on the subject of your and your family's health care, the National Council Against Health Fraud, which you can find here:  http://www.ncahf.org

NCAHF also sends out a weekly newsletter (Consumer Health Digest) also free, though you have to sign up to receive it.

Please take time to check these out and become an EDUCATED consumer of health services.

Cap'n Preshoot

Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:15:26 am »

CARLE HOSPITAL (Urbana, IL) ROOM RATES per day (effective July 1, 2009)

Semi-private........$1,713 - 3,275.53, rates vary due to acuity and care
Private..................$1,812 - 3,463.65     "      "       "          "               " 
Intensive Care......$4,710 - 12,108.80   "      "       "          "               "
Emergency Rm.....$184.90 - 2,274.70  (most common rate is $465)

These are for room only;  doctor services are billed separately.

Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:27:37 am »

We have a friend who had a heart attack earlier this year and was admitted to a Cape Girardeau hospital.  He had no insurance.  He was told he needed a triple by pass and that it would cost 1 million dollars.  He was devastated and essentially went home to die.  Depression set in and his condition deterioated.  Since he was a veteran of the Korean war,  we suggested calling the VA.  He filled out the papers, qualified and saw a VA doctor who also told him he needed immediate attention.  His hospital bill for less than a week in the Cape hospital was $60,000.  He received a note from the hospital saying that if he paid within 30 days they would cut the bill in half.

He was admitted to the University hospital (through the VA) had his surgery and is doing fine.....His bill from the VA, less than $1,200.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:56:34 pm »

CARLE HOSPITAL (Urbana, IL) ROOM RATES per day (effective July 1, 2009)

Semi-private........$1,713 - 3,275.53, rates vary due to acuity and care
Private..................$1,812 - 3,463.65     "      "       "          "               " 
Intensive Care......$4,710 - 12,108.80   "      "       "          "               "
Emergency Rm.....$184.90 - 2,274.70  (most common rate is $465)

These are for room only;  doctor services are billed separately.

I remember a time when Lakeview Memorial (when it was still called that) raised their semi-private room rate to $60 a day and everyone you talked to had no idea how people could afford to get sick. 
Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:17:31 pm »

We have a friend who had a heart attack earlier this year and was admitted to a Cape Girardeau hospital.  He had no insurance.  He was told he needed a triple by pass and that it would cost 1 million dollars.  He was devastated and essentially went home to die.  Depression set in and his condition deterioated.  Since he was a veteran of the Korean war,  we suggested calling the VA.  He filled out the papers, qualified and saw a VA doctor who also told him he needed immediate attention.  His hospital bill for less than a week in the Cape hospital was $60,000.  He received a note from the hospital saying that if he paid within 30 days they would cut the bill in half.

He was admitted to the University hospital (through the VA) had his surgery and is doing fine.....His bill from the VA, less than $1,200.

The VA hospitals are a great resource for the veteran (of which I am one). However, in most areas they are very difficult to get into unless you are literally at death's door. The problem in getting in ahead of time for routine preventive care is that you first have to find a VA doctor who has time in his/her schedule to see you. Once you overcome that hurdle, regular visits are a breeze.  It's the initial one that's tough.  Once I get closer to retirement I plan to get hooked up with a VA Dr in order to save some money. It's a shame they don't take your spouse as well, but given the difficulty in just getting on someone's schedule I imagine the extra load would make it impossible.  Also there's thousnds of returning vets now from Iraq and Afghanastan.  Is the VA in Danville still limited to mental health or do they now have some general practitioners?
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:22 pm »

I remember when I had my son in 1976. The hospital bill was around $1700 and I was only there for 2 days...because the insurance didn't want to pay for 3 days. God knows how much it costs to give birth to a child today.

Take the profits out of health care and we won't have this problem.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:36:31 pm »

God knows how much it costs to give birth to a child today.
Well, I'm not God, but I do know Delivery Room = $2,660 a day at Carle now.   Shocked 
Report Spam   Logged
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:23 pm »

God knows how much it costs to give birth to a child today.
Well, I'm not God, but I do know Delivery Room = $2,660 a day at Carle now.   Shocked 
That's the amount the hospital bills your insurance, but it's likely not the "negotiated amount" the insurance co. pays.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum