Vermilion Voice
April 18, 2024, 09:14:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Rock & Roll

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Rock & Roll  (Read 1431 times)
buzorro

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:13:21 pm »

I had the good fortune of living in HOTlanta for a couple of years, back in the early '70's.  I think I went to a Rock show every weekend.

This group had previously toured with Jimi Hendrix as his opening act.  Jimi stated at the time that Billy Gibbons was the next 'super-guitarist!'  I saw them on their first tour before they became nationally known.  Needless to say, they got my attention.  I remember asking over and over, 'Who are these guys in the cowboy outfits, with a cactus and stuffed rattlesnake on stage with them'  I've seen them six times in the following years...

Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:49:25 am »

To me, Rock n Roll represented the golden age of music.  Guess that tells you how old I am.
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:37:21 pm »

(Who sez white boys caint dance?  Cheesy)  Spinning fuzz guitars, some of ZZ's finest touches...

Hey now, hot news!  Speaking of Hot 'Lanta (one of Allman Bros' all-time greatest of course) and fantastic guitars (altho he's not Duane) --  their drummer Butch Trucks' slide guitar prodigy nephew DEREK TRUCKS  (known at age 9, playing with the Bros, starting his own band at 15, now 30) will be playing THIS Thurs night (Sept 10) at UI Krannert Center in Urbana, along with another guitar great, JUNIOR BROWN!   (Not too sure about "Peruvian psychedelic pop" but it ALL sounds swell to me, well-worth calling in sick to work the next day...)  Grin

"a quadruple bill of scorching bands, head-back-for-thirds food, dancing space, and festive crowds" -- all for only $5!!!  Dunno if any tickets are left but Krannert's a big ol' neat place for everyone, not just students;  if you've never been there, oughta check it out (altho oddly, for UI being such a computer-pro school, Krannert has a pretty lousy website).

Krannert Center ticket office at 217/333-6280 or 217/KCPATIX or email kran-tix@illinois.edu
500 S. Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801 

Opening Night Party
CHICHA LIBRE
JUNIOR BROWN
THE DEREK TRUCKS BAND
FRANK VIGNOLA TRIO

Thursday, September 10, 2009, at 7pm; doors open at 6pm | Lobby and Amphitheatre

ELLNORA | The Guitar Festival | You’ve burned for it. You’ve yearned for it. The unsurpassed collision of sound and energy has finally arrived!

The Peruvian-influenced psychedelic pop of Chicha Libre claims the Lobby at 7pm through its effortlessly effervescent mix of Colombian cumbia, dreamy surf guitar, and Andean melodies.

At 8pm, Junior Brown’s inexhaustible chops and country soul sounds take over. Playing with a southern twang and the heart of a rocker, four-time Grammy nominee Brown takes his hunger for novel collisions up from down south and out into Hawaiian, Dixie, surf, and the blues.

The Derek Trucks Band, owning the Lobby at 9pm, boasts an inspired collective of six like-minded yet musically diverse maestros. Led by Derek Trucks’ soaring guitar work, the band has rightly earned its reputation as an incendiary live act that combusts rock, blues, jazz, and world music into a sound that’s at once singular and comfortingly familiar.

The evening’s spot to refuel is the Amphitheatre, where you can choose from the plethora of goodies, soak in the summer breezes, grab a seat, and settle into the sounds of the Frank Vignola Trio, who’ll roll up at 7:30pm and 8:45pm. Known as Les Paul’s right-hand man and “one of the brightest of the young guitar stars” (The New York Times), Vignola will connect with guitarist Vinny Raniolo, bassist Gary Mazzaroppi, and special guest Julien Labro on accordion for acoustic swing and feisty jazz.

Come early, stay late, and enjoy yourself to the fullest at this all-out, party-mode liftoff to the new season at Krannert Center!

http://www.krannertcenter.com/performance.aspx?id=20096291858102875414467

Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:01:40 pm »

Yes, I moved there the year after the Allman Brothers were giving free concerts at a local park, a yearly event for them.  So I had to pay to see them afterwards, no big deal to me.

The first concert I saw in HOTlanta were this warm-up group:

And the headliner (not with these back-ups though):

Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:05:56 pm »

I had the good fortune of living in HOTlanta for a couple of years, back in the early '70's.  I think I went to a Rock show every weekend.

This group had previously toured with Jimi Hendrix as his opening act.  Jimi stated at the time that Billy Gibbons was the next 'super-guitarist!'  I saw them on their first tour before they became nationally known.  Needless to say, they got my attention.  I remember asking over and over, 'Who are these guys in the cowboy outfits, with a cactus and stuffed rattlesnake on stage with them'  I've seen them six times in the following years...

ZZ Top another one of my all time favorite bands!

One of my favorites songs...
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:11:19 pm »

(Who sez white boys caint dance?  Cheesy)  Spinning fuzz guitars, some of ZZ's finest touches...

Hey now, hot news!  Speaking of Hot 'Lanta (one of Allman Bros' all-time greatest of course) and fantastic guitars (altho he's not Duane) --  their drummer Butch Trucks' slide guitar prodigy nephew DEREK TRUCKS  (known at age 9, playing with the Bros, starting his own band at 15, now 30) will be playing THIS Thurs night (Sept 10) at UI Krannert Center in Urbana, along with another guitar great, JUNIOR BROWN!   (Not too sure about "Peruvian psychedelic pop" but it ALL sounds swell to me, well-worth calling in sick to work the next day...)  Grin

"a quadruple bill of scorching bands, head-back-for-thirds food, dancing space, and festive crowds" -- all for only $5!!!  Dunno if any tickets are left but Krannert's a big ol' neat place for everyone, not just students;  if you've never been there, oughta check it out (altho oddly, for UI being such a computer-pro school, Krannert has a pretty lousy website).

Krannert Center ticket office at 217/333-6280 or 217/KCPATIX or email kran-tix@illinois.edu
500 S. Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801 

Opening Night Party
CHICHA LIBRE
JUNIOR BROWN
THE DEREK TRUCKS BAND
FRANK VIGNOLA TRIO

Thursday, September 10, 2009, at 7pm; doors open at 6pm | Lobby and Amphitheatre

ELLNORA | The Guitar Festival | You’ve burned for it. You’ve yearned for it. The unsurpassed collision of sound and energy has finally arrived!

The Peruvian-influenced psychedelic pop of Chicha Libre claims the Lobby at 7pm through its effortlessly effervescent mix of Colombian cumbia, dreamy surf guitar, and Andean melodies.

At 8pm, Junior Brown’s inexhaustible chops and country soul sounds take over. Playing with a southern twang and the heart of a rocker, four-time Grammy nominee Brown takes his hunger for novel collisions up from down south and out into Hawaiian, Dixie, surf, and the blues.

The Derek Trucks Band, owning the Lobby at 9pm, boasts an inspired collective of six like-minded yet musically diverse maestros. Led by Derek Trucks’ soaring guitar work, the band has rightly earned its reputation as an incendiary live act that combusts rock, blues, jazz, and world music into a sound that’s at once singular and comfortingly familiar.

The evening’s spot to refuel is the Amphitheatre, where you can choose from the plethora of goodies, soak in the summer breezes, grab a seat, and settle into the sounds of the Frank Vignola Trio, who’ll roll up at 7:30pm and 8:45pm. Known as Les Paul’s right-hand man and “one of the brightest of the young guitar stars” (The New York Times), Vignola will connect with guitarist Vinny Raniolo, bassist Gary Mazzaroppi, and special guest Julien Labro on accordion for acoustic swing and feisty jazz.

Come early, stay late, and enjoy yourself to the fullest at this all-out, party-mode liftoff to the new season at Krannert Center!

http://www.krannertcenter.com/performance.aspx?id=20096291858102875414467

Wow...that actually sounds awesome!
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:43:23 pm »

My all time favorite Santana song "Samba Pa Ti" the sound of his guitar nearly moved me to tears the first time I ever heard it. Still gives me shivers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0uHRl-Q8Fo&feature=fvw
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 05:09:28 pm »

Back in the day, there were four contenders for 'world's greatest guitar player.'

Carlos...

Eric...saw him many times...solo and with other artists:

Jimmy Page...I watched him do the 'bow thing' in HOTlanta...circa 'Stairway to Heaven'...later during a tour of him and Robert Plant:

Jeff Beck...saw him once long ago...and NOT with this 'hottie' playing bass:

Of the four, IMHO, Eric has had the most successful career (that included beating a heroin addiction, losing his five-year old son in a tragic accident [fell from a 55-story window while in the care of Eric's housekeeper]), Jimmy was the most intense onstage, Jeff was 'cool' and very creative, Carlos was cool and extremely versatile (and one could always sense his Hispanic roots)

Artists all....   
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:56:37 pm »

Agreed, all tres cool.   Cool  Albert Lee was good too but not so prolific ... and let us not forget big bad Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd), (still rockin, I think).

One of THE ABSOLUTE BEST and most versatile yet UNKNOWN unclassifiable electric guitarists I've heard in the past 2 decades is Wash. DC's "Master of the Telecaster" fast-fingers DANNY GATTON.   (Unfortunately, he killed himself in '94, so how tragic there will be no more fine tunes from him).  But if you don't know him, run out and buy his Cruisin' Deuces or 88 Elmira St. cd's asap.  You won't regret it.  Or your money back.  Wink

This youtube doesn't do him justice but it suggests his brilliance -- who the heck else on earth would even consider playing a famous sax piece on guitar? Shocked

(Whew, all this good music, we're gonna have audio fatigue... so my ears are probably turning in for the day!)  Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:08:26 pm »

My, my...how far we've come on this ride...

I was blessed to have a music-loving mother who bought his records for me...

But this group changed me and the world (?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoF-7VMMihA&feature=related

What was really remarkable about The Beatles, and so many other 'New Rock Groups' of that era, is that they were just teenagers, or barely older.  Maybe we should have separate threads, 'Old' vs. 'New.'  I mean, there are just as many categories of 'Music' as there are...say, uh...'recipes'...right?

tee-hee   
Report Spam   Logged

Chazzy

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:18:39 pm »

I think one of the best overlooked blues guitar player GARY  MOORE.That concert he did with  Albert King and Albert Collins...         GREAT concert..   dont know why , but very underated guitar player..he played with THIB LIZZY for awhile and did some other rock .....but when he started playing blues he is one of the best.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 10:03:44 pm »

I think one of the best overlooked blues guitar player GARY  MOORE.That concert he did with  Albert King and Albert Collins...         GREAT concert..   dont know why , but very underated guitar player..he played with THIB LIZZY for awhile and did some other rock .....but when he started playing blues he is one of the best.

Is this him? Not bad if it is....I really like the song.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 08:23:53 am »

Indeed it is DJ. he has been around for sometime..he dont get much credit, for his work,he has some great songs tho,and a good singer and song writer
Report Spam   Logged
Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:05 am »

Not so much rock and roll which is what i like....i saw Cat Power on Letterman one night, really liked the song she sang, Living Proof,,and very pleasing to the eye"s...sexy gal !!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 12:11:42 pm »

But this group changed me and the world (?).

What was really remarkable about The Beatles ...  

...is that they ALL had humor, intelligence, and actual TALENT, unlike too many today.  If The Beatles were all still alive making music together, the world would be SO much better off!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum