Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 05:42:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Danville Civic Center Music shows

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Danville Civic Center Music shows  (Read 149 times)
buzorro

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:21:04 pm »

I'm going to put some videos here of music artists who I've seen at the local Civic Center.

We have had some outstanding acts come and play here.  I 'won't' put a Greg Allmand Band video here, although he played here.  It's just that there's already one on the 'Rock & Roll' thread.

The first one that I'm posting was actually the warm-up group for Porter Wagoner.  I wanted to find the video for 'Chunk of Coal,' but ran out of time.  Instead I'll post one of my second favorite song by this unique country star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI5wotM_ZU&feature=PlayList&p=4C15314BA517388D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 03:31:42 pm »

He was dressed in a silver suit, white loose-fitting shirt, and his signature white hat with a long white feather to one side, and played this song to a sold-out arena.  He died in a helicopter crash a few months later.

Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:40:14 pm »

I'd seen this guy and his band a half-dozen times (one of which was at the SuperDome in New Orleans when he was the headliner of a five-act Mardi Gras concert), when he finally came here:

Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 03:45:46 pm »

This guy played in front of 50,000 just months before he played here:

Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 04:13:26 pm »

Amazing!   I was just writing the paragraph below when I logged on here to see you're already way ahead of me!   And yep, I agree with you on Stevie Ray Vaughan.  (R.I.P.)   I've been fortunate to see all the musicians you've got here, (pretty sure at the Civic Center, or else UI Assembly Hall, or FarmAid).  Without a doubt, we've been darn lucky to have had such great people singing for us here in the middle of the prairie!  Thanks for the reminders.

Don't know if you were in Danvile in the mid(?)-80's when on-the-wagon post-Cher Gregg and his mighty Hammond B-3 stayed in town and played the Palmer Center.  I got to shake his hand and he even invited me to sit down, chat and drink a Coke with him there at the Holiday Inn bar.  They played warm-up for some second rate rockers like 38 Special, and I mourned gee, how the mighty have fallen (Allman Bros ranking up there almost with Beatles in my songbook).  Not down for long though, rebounding with "I'm No Angel" and flyin' high ever since, ranking in Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers of All Time.   Good goin' Gregg -- really glad you're not quite in heaven with the rest of 'em yet!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 04:30:39 pm »

A 'small town' guy who was raised across the Hoosier border brought his band to this small town.

Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:36:33 pm »

I actually 'camped' out in front of the ticket booth for this show:

Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 04:42:00 pm »

Great songwriter...might've been great long ago as a performer, but...this show sucked!  IMHO, of course...I think they had to wheel him out to the stage...

He was a funky looking dude though...
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 04:48:08 pm »

Don't know if you were in Danvile in the mid(?)-80's when on-the-wagon post-Cher Gregg and his mighty Hammond B-3 stayed in town and played the Palmer Center.  I got to shake his hand and he even invited me to sit down, chat and drink a Coke with him there at the Holiday Inn bar.  They played warm-up for some second rate rockers like 38 Special, and I mourned gee, how the mighty have fallen (Allman Bros ranking up there almost with Beatles in my songbook).

Amen to all of the above.  Yes, Gregg warmed up for .38 Special, a one-hit wonder.  Rest assured that I was not there to see them.  They were good, but couldn't compare to the Greg Allman Band.

The only musical artist that I went backstage to meet is mentioned in the 'Folk-Rock' thread, and I hesitated to include the 'Rock' part of that.
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 05:07:32 pm »

Oop, first sour note of the day.  Never crazy for John "Cougar" Melonhead, even before the brouhaha over an early MTV contest giving away a "little pink house" near his hometown of Bloomington IN, (purportedly unmarketable because it was located atop some toxic Westinghouse PCB waste dump -- and I think the realtor MTV used was John's then-wife.  True?  Don't know, don't care.)  Just always thought he was a lesser talent.  (Maybe 'cause I worked at a place with a jukebox that played "that little ditty 'bout Jack and Diane" at least a billion times a day.  Music prejudices die hard. Undecided)

And of course NO ONE, not even flesh'n'blood, can stand up to THE ORIGINAL Hank Williams.  (Accept no imitations.)  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 05:10:54 pm »

Oop, first sour note of the day.  Never crazy for John "Cougar" Melonhead, even before the brouhaha over an early MTV contest giving away a "little pink house" near his hometown of Bloomington IN, (purportedly unmarketable because it was located atop some toxic Westinghouse PCB waste dump -- and I think the realtor MTV used was John's then-wife.  True?  Don't know, don't care.)  Just always thought he was a lesser talent.  (Maybe 'cause I worked at a place with a jukebox that played "that little ditty 'bout Jack and Diane" at least a billion times a day.  Music prejudices die hard. Undecided)

And of course NO ONE, not even flesh'n'blood, can stand up to THE ORIGINAL Hank Williams.  (Accept no imitations.)  Grin

'Opinion' noted...Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:45:45 pm »

I have been in the Civic Center many times and heard a lot of acts perform, but saw very few. I was normally in the building about one and a half hours before the doors opened to the public; and sometimes got to see the band or performer go through a quick practice set. Quite often it was just crew members checking out the intruments and equipment; but occasionally one of performers would come on stage and mess around a bit and just have some fun before the show. Occasionally they would just walk around the building; one group played frisbee before the show. We did not bother them or speak to them, unless they started the conversation.

It was also interesting the requests that the bands had for what was to be in their dressing room. Sometimes it was special candy, a certain brand of bottled water or soft drink; and quite often a specific brand of hard liquor. Some performers were just nice friendly people. Others were quite aloof. Gallagher was a friendly guy before his shows; walking around, visiting with people; and even selling his own souveneirs when the doors first opened.

After the shows, the crews jumped right in and began tearing everything down; and loading it up.....but no one playing the piano as in the Jackson Browne song, The Loadout.
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
Chazzy

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:53:10 pm »

Only problem the  Center, the accustis sux....i have only been down there 3 or 4 times nuff for me..they have had some great bands there. they otta work on the sound in there , one i was there for my granboys wanted to take ol granpa to see Jykall.dont think its spelled that way but.......i cudnt hear for 3 days.. and besides that toward the end of the show (i only stayed the long for the boys..)   the beer cans and bottles started flying over our head toward the stage, then a biker chick standing on her chair, drunker than a monkey, fell off her chair on top of my 16 year granboy...we like to never got her off him, thot we was gonna have to get the jaws of life .....i still tease him about that
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum