Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 01:50:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I need help in deciding what sort/breed of dog I might match with.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help in deciding what sort/breed of dog I might match with.  (Read 2369 times)
Pretender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« on: September 05, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »

No comments Buzz!

I'm thinking about a low-keyed, low maintenance small to medium sized dog. It would be more of a house pet, but should be able to endure outdoors in a large back yard. Want one that doesn't bark a lot, but would be able to deter unwanteds from invading my space inside and outside if the need arose. The dog should be a young one that won't grow very large. It would be nice if the dog is already house broken or is able to be house broken easily. I'm in a wheelchair so I've thought about this for several years and am at the point of going for it. I went to the village mall today and the Vermilion County Animal Shelter is bringing some of their clients to the mall every Saturday now (excluding next Saturday as they will be in Champaign). Just found out today that the shelter had a thing going on at the mall. I wouldn't care if the dog were a pure breed or mixed breed and would prefer to get one from a shelter, but I'm not sure of what breed or mix of breeds that I should consider so if anyone has ideas or imput (has a better ring to it than input lol)  about the traits of mixes or pure then I would appreciate your assistance.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 06:38:10 pm »

All kidding aside, I read somewhere that a boxer might be available...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
nancyo

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:06:45 pm »

Both my current dogs are terrier mixes.  The girl was a stray I took in and house trained very quickly. The boy was already trained so didn't have to deal with that Wink  Both are very protective of their home, yard and family and will bark quickly.  Also my most previous dog was also a terrier mix.  I may have been very lucky, but all 3 are gentle, protective and good in the house.  They all have that longish coat so are comfortable outside when they go into the yard even in winter or on walks.  I think a terrier would also walk well with you if you wanted to take one with you on your electric chair.  Longer coats do require a little more brushing tho.  I'm glad you are checking a shelter dog.  So many need homes and are excellent pets.  The folks from the shelter should be able to give you good info on individual animal's temperament.  Good luck.
Report Spam   Logged
Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »

We have had good luck with mixed breed dogs from the shelters. Every now and then on Danville Freecycle, I see one offered also. That is a group on Yahoo.
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:16:32 pm »

Promptly ignoring Buz's kidding, Wink, I did see a photo of a good-lookin' boxer at the shelter in last weekend's CN paper, under Mary Wicoff's sheltie article (Aug 29 online).   

I agree with nancyo and Hhop.  Unfortunately, no decent local animal website, so the best way to find out, if you can get to either, would be to go to the Shelter or Humane Society and just take a gander (well, take a LOOK, that is, altho geese and ducks provide excellent watch-dog service as well, very protective! -- I bet marigoldhead could tell you that Smiley) to see if you immediately BOND with any.   (You'll know it when it happens!)

Owners may likely disagree, but sometimes pure-breds are less "sturdy" due to excessive in-breeding.   Mutts with any kind of shepherd/sheepdog or lab are usually darn good, but may be too large for what you seek. 
Boxer -- a bit big, no Einstein, and not exactly low-maintenance but might do nicely, except they're not hairy enough to endure bad winters outside alone (a true PET PEEVE of mine, people who make their "pets" live outside) -- but I don't think you meant leaving outside fulltime, Pretender, or it'd not be a "house-dog."  (Happens all the time Angry, but NO dog should be out during our vile winters, unless extremely well provided for in doghouse, igloo or garage -- straw, blankets, maybe heating pad or brooder lamp if safely devised). 
Doberman -- quick, smart, VERY protective when treated right but again, not hairy enough for subzero.   Pitbulls unfortunately have that bad rap, but I've met sweet ones as well (again, an animal can only "give" what it's received, so if it's well-loved, well then, no problem).
Shelties (smaller collies) may be too energetic, and most small yappy lap-rat-dogs are often too hyper or needy. 
(Ok, all chihuahua, mini-schnauzer, shih-tzu, etc owners may now start yipping and snapping at me.  Grin)

And sorry, don't bite me for saying this but breeds CBS found to be the dumbest (#1 being The Dumbest) are:
1.    Afghan hound
2.    Basenji
3.    Bulldog
4.    Chow Chow
5.    Borzoi
6.    Bloodhound
7.    Pekingese
8.    Mastiff
9.    Beagle
10.    Basset Hound

Could look at a "dogfinder matchup" at --
http://dogtime.com/matchup/start
or
Canine Companions for Independence at --
http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.3978475/k.BED8/Home.htm
or
Ten Smartest Dog Breeds at --
http://www.petmedsonline.org/top-10-smartest-dogs-in-the-world.html

Preview of adoptable dogs within 35 miles of Danville at --
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet-search-display?clan_id=1&clan_name=dog&country_code=US&email_is_valid=&end_number=50&geo_range=35&geo_range_km=55&is_dog=1&postal_code=61832&quote_filename=%2Fhome%2Fsap%2Fexternals%2Fproduction%2Fwaiting_page_quotes%2Fdog_quotes%2F%2F4.html&saver_checkbox=0&start_number=1&state_code=IL

Good luck with your search.  May the best dog win.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:14:51 am »

Boston Terriers are great dogs. Very loving, and very protective of their families. When anyone drops by to see the family, they think they are stopping by to see them.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 06:23:54 pm »

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm probably gonna stick with the Vermilion County Animal Shelter in trying to locate a pet. I guess I should ask all of you of whether a male or female might be more appropriate as far as temperament? Is there much of a difference besides the obvious? The pet will have been spayed or neutered or will be after I find one. Here's where to find the animals at the VCAS if anyone is interested:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/IL280.html

NancyO,

I sent you a reply, but it may not have gotten to you as I received a "server" disconnect notice. I may look into your suggestion. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:56:23 pm »

Females are smarter, Pretender.   Smiley

And to show just how clever and commanding those border collies can be while herding sheep, check out
Report Spam   Logged
nancyo

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:42:08 pm »

Just gotta jump in here with one more comment.  I had a sheltie stray that no one claimed and she was a sweetheart but like all of the females I have had, she was a little more "pushy".  Not sure if that is the correct explanation or not, but seems the female dogs are more apt to want to run things (no connection to human females Wink) than my male dogs were. 
Also even tho certain traits are attributed to specific breeds, each one has their own individual traits.  The suggestion to visit the shelter and meet dogs one-on-one is excellent.  I'm sure someone here could give you a lift to go out there.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 04:41:32 pm »

What do you all think of Labradors?
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
McDuff

View Profile
Combination Level 2 Level 1
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 05:07:07 pm »

All I'm going to say is Labs are the BEST dogs in the world!!  You have to get one!!  There's one at the animal shelter named Anna, she's a black lab and she look awesome.  I almost got her myself but I was afraid my lab would feel jealous.
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 05:08:20 pm »

Great pets, loving, loyal, smart....... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 05:08:52 pm »

All I'm going to say is Labs are the BEST dogs in the world!!  You have to get one!!  There's one at the animal shelter named Anna, she's a black lab and she look awesome.  I almost got her myself but I was afraid my lab would feel jealous.

I'll ck her out. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 05:12:07 pm »

Maybe someone took her. She's not listed on the site:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/shelterSearch.cgi?offset=0&limit=25&zip=&status=&shelterid=IL280&tmpl=0&lat=&long=&preview=&sort=
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 05:30:15 pm »

I'm not sure the shelter lists ALL their animals, as there are so many.  Also, check with that CARA rescue group (old church by new bridge, Connie at 799-8858) in Tilton;  Anna may be there.
Yes, labs are great!  I mentioned briefly they're good (sweetest I ever knew were a couple yellow labs, a boy and a girl) but may be too big (55-75 lbs, they like to eat, and need exercise/room to run/fetch).  Labs are listed as 7th intelligent on the commonly accepted "10 Smartest Dogs" as well as on the "10 Easiest to Train" lists:

The Labrador Retriever is as magnificent in appearance as they are courageous and hard working.  You can easily begin training this breed from as early as six months of age. Labs also rank highly on our smartest dogs and most affectionate dog breeds lists. The Golden Retriever ranks slightly lower than the Lab for energy levels, and just missed being on our list.

#7 (Smart List) Labrador Retriever
An extremely loving, affectionate, and patient dog, the Labrador Retriever is one of the most popular breeds of dog in the world.  They love to work, and need a lot of exercise.  Without proper exercise, Labs have been known to develop weight problems.  Because of their good nature, and love of children and other dogs, they are a very popular family dog.

Learn more about the Labrador Retriever (History and health issues) at
http://www.petmedsonline.org/dog-breed-health-labrador-retriever.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum