Vermilion Voice
April 20, 2024, 08:08:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I need help in deciding what sort/breed of dog I might match with.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help in deciding what sort/breed of dog I might match with.  (Read 2383 times)
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 08:02:00 am »

Labs & Goldens make **GREAT** family pets but have a short life span, typically 10~12 years, some longer, but are prone to health problems in later years (aren't we all?)

I personally don't recommend anyone ever getting a pet if it's going to be kept mostly outside, or will be outside more than half the time. What are you going to do with it in the winter or when it's pouring rain?  Would YOU want to live outside?  If you LOVE your pet, it lives inside your home with you and is a member of the family.

What about traveling? Dogs cannot be left alone, period. Either they go with you or you have to pay someone to come over 2~3 times a day or you have to pay a kennel. What's it going to be? A kennel is a cage. Would YOU want to be caged (thrown in jail)? Damnit, the pet has feelings too!

If you're looking for a dog that doesn't bark then don't get a dog. Dogs bark.  However, they only bark for a reason. Either they've been raised to bark or they haven't.  Getting a shelter dog is a nice humane gesture, but whatever behavioral traits the dog has already acquired are traits you're going to have to live with.

House-training will be (and will have to be) an almost full time job the first few weeks, so you'll want a smart dog that learns quick. I say this because you absolutely do not want a Cocker Spaniel. Those are the dumbest dogs in the whole animal kingdom and if you doubt me, ask your vet. Cockers also are prone to having ear problems.

I recommend a small-to-medium sized dog (25~30 lbs at adult weight) and for longevity and health reasons I'd go with a mixed-breed rather than a purebred.

By all means get the dog obedience-trained and for this I really recommend engaging the services of a professional trainer and not a group class at Petsmart. You get what you pay for.  As I often say, there's nothing nicer than a well-trained dog, nor worse than a rude, ill-mannered child.

Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 09:18:54 am »

For some dogs it would be cruel to keep them indoors 50% of the time. Our dogs just love to be outside and certainly have shelter if it is raining or snowing. They are welome inside, but their first choice is outside, even in the winter. They will jump into an icy river and swim across with no hesitation; and will hike with me through knee deep snow and they love it. These are both mixed breed dogs; one about 30 pounds and the other about 45 pounds. People have developed their "designer" dogs to be indoor creatures, but their natural environment is outdoors. Our dogs can curl up in snow, and be quite comfortable; as ours will sometimes prefer to do, rather than be in the house all day.
Unfortunately people expect their dogs to be as soft as they have become. Let them be the animal that they are, in the environment they were meant to be in.
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 10:30:30 am »

If you have problems with squirrels, raccoons, chip monks, snakes or other small creatures in your yard, get a Scotty.  They make great pets.  Very loyal and good little hunters.  My 9 year old Scotty got 6 snakes, a rabbit, chip monk, and a raccoon last year.
When you want to play, they play.  When you are sick or tired , they will lay by your side for hours on end.  But, not super good around kids; they're afraid of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 10:42:46 am »

Hey Terry, sounds like my dogs. They have caught several rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, etc. in our yard; and a couple of raccoon when hunting. They may have caught more rabbits than I am aware of as they eat them as soon as they are dead....one of their favorite treats! My dogs are real dogs, not some pampered sissy dog; and they have a great time!
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 10:53:51 am »

Tigger likes the thrill of the hunt.  Last year, when he went after the raccoon, it scared me to death.  He got it around the neck and shook it like a rag doll.  It's 2 AM, he's having a great time, and I'm standing in the back yard in my underwear trying to get him to come in the house.  Finally, after the raccoon played dead, Tigger let him go and came in acting like he was some big hero.  I gave him a treat and we all went back to sleep.
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 10:56:02 am »

I'll bet my suggestion of having a pet fish is sounding better and better,...eh, Pretender?

I've had gobs of dogs during my life.  Final lesson learned?  The city is no place to own an outside dog.  I won't say that the dog will definitely, eventually escape it's confines,...but the odds are that, at some point in time, it will.  And if it happens to get injured or killed by a car, well...it's happened to me...well, not me, but a dog that I owned.

As has been mentioned, there is also the issue of house-breaking.  Smack it with a rolled-up newspaper and rub it's nose in it?...or is it vice-versa?

Inside dogs have to be smaller?  Then they're apt to be more hyper.  Is it going to be barking while you have visitors?  Sticking it's nose against and licking visitors who may not 'appreciate' that? 

Here fishy...you could even give it a name.  How's 'Herman' or 'Fluffy' sound?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 01:07:50 pm »

Tigger likes the thrill of the hunt.  Last year, when he went after the raccoon, it scared me to death.  He got it around the neck and shook it like a rag doll.  It's 2 AM, he's having a great time, and I'm standing in the back yard in my underwear trying to get him to come in the house.  Finally, after the raccoon played dead, Tigger let him go and came in acting like he was some big hero.  I gave him a treat and we all went back to sleep.

Sure it wasn't a possum?  lol
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »

Tuck, no it was a raccoon.  Yesterday morning, he trapped a possum on top of our fence.  I had to go out and save the poor thing or Tigger would have killed it.  Boy, they sure are ugly little crearures.
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 02:27:04 pm »

Since this area seems to have gone to the DOGS, here's some long (sorry) but IMPORTANT info I just dug up to send to a sis who said her female lab's developed a taste for plums when outdoors, swallows 'em whole, and has now even discovered a way to get them off the tree...  Smart dog or dumb dog?  Might be a dead dog if she doesn't stop!  Embarrassed  I knew peach and other fruit pits contain poisonous CYANIDE, so assumed plum pits are bad too.  Yep, along with a LOT else:
Common Foods That Are Harmful Or Even Fatal to Dogs

Many common foods are actually harmful or even fatal to dogs. Some of these (listed below) will surprise you. Others are things you would never give your dog purposefully, but now you will be more careful to not let them be in your dog's reach. And some just need to be limited to small amounts.

Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) are toxic to dogs. Avocados contain a toxic component called persin, which can damage heart, lung and other tissue in many animals. They are high in fat and can trigger stomach upset, vomiting and even pancreatitis. Symptoms of toxicity include difficulty breathing, abdominal enlargement, abnormal fluid accumulations in the chest, abdomen and sac around the heart. The amount that needs to be ingested to cause signs is unknown. The effects on dogs and cats are not completely understood. GI signs are commonly seen and should be treated symptomatically. In addition, the animal should be monitored closely for other clinical signs related to the cardiovascular system. (This information comes from veterinarians, the American Veterinary Medicine Association, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.)

Onions can be fatal to dogs Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia, weakness, and breathing difficulty. Even small amounts can cause cumulative damage over time. This includes onions or chives - raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked.

Garlic is harmful to dogs.  Large amounts of garlic cause the same problems as onions. Garlic contains only a small amount of the problematic substance that is in onions. Just as with people, moderation is the key.

Grapes and raisins can be fatal to dogs.   Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.

Tomatoes can be fatal to dogs. Tomatoes (plant and fruit) contain tomatine, an alkaloid related to solanine. As the fruit ripens, the tomatine is metabolized. Therefore, ripe tomatoes are less likely to be problematic for animals. Clinical signs of poisoning include lethargy, drooling, difficulty breathing, colic, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation, widely-dilated pupils, paralysis, cardiac effects, central nervous system signs (e.g., ataxia, muscle weakness, tremors, seizures), resulting from cholinesterase inhibition, coma and death. (This information comes from veterinarians, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.) (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are poisonous to humans, although some people are sensitive to the ripe fruit also.)
Tomatoes also contain atropine, which can cause dilated pupils, tremors, and heart arrhythmias. The highest concentration of atropine is found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants, with less in unripe (green) tomatoes, and even less in ripe (red) tomatoes.

Nutmeg is can be fatal to dogs.  Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death.

Caffeine
is harmful to dogs.  Caffeine (from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags) stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.

Xylitol sweetener
can harm dogs.  Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.

Macadamia nuts can harm dogs. Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.

Walnuts are poisonous to dogs. When dogs eat the seed hulls, they can get an upset stomach and diarrhea. The real problem is the fungus or mold that attacks walnuts after they get wet (from rain or sprinklers), which produces toxins. If the fungus or mold is ingested by your dogs, they can become very ill and possibly die. Signs that should alert you to walnut poisoning are vomiting, trembling, drooling, lack of coordination, lethargy, loss of appetite, and jaundice indications such as yellowing eyes and gums. Severely affected dogs can produce blood-tinged vomit or stools. Dogs can take several days to exhibit serious signs of illness.

Chocolate can be fatal to dogs.  Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker's chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours (and so might make you think all is well), with death following within twenty-four hours. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Fruit pits are toxic to dogs.   Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. While a few apple seeds may not cause a problem, the effects can accumulate over time if they are given to dogs regularly. Dogs should not be allowed to chew on a peach pit, cherry pit, apricot pit, or plum pit. Chewing can allow ingestion of cyanide. Chewing could also result in the pit being swallowed, causing continuous exposure to cyanide, or could cause the dog to choke.

Too much salt is harmful to dogs.  Too much salt can cause kidney problems. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.

Too much fat is harmful to dogs.  Too much fat or fried foods can cause pancreatitis.

Ham and bacon are bad for dogs.  Ham and bacon contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.

Too much liver
is harmful to dogs.  Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week) can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia. Check the label of your canned dog food to be sure that it does not contain liver if you are giving your dog liver also.

Wild mushrooms can be fatal to dogs. Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma, or death.

Raw egg whites alone are bad for dogs.  Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog's growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity. Raw egg yolks contain enough biotin to prevent the deficiency, so this is not a problem with raw whole eggs. Raw egg yolks could contain salmonella, so you should get your eggs from a reliable source or cook the eggs.

Large amounts of grains are bad for dogs.  Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog's diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.

Cooked bones can kill dogs Cooked bones can splinter and tear a dog's internal organs.

Dogs need their vegetables cut up.   Dogs can't digest most vegetables (carrots, green beans, lettuce, potatoes or yams) whole or in large pieces. Potato peels and green potatoes are dangerous.

Dairy products can be harmful to dogs.   Dairy products are high in fat, which can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yogurt is usually safe.

Pennies can be fatal to dogs.  Pennies made from the 1980s to today contain zinc, which can cause kidney failure and damage to red blood cells. A dog that consumes even one penny can become quite sick, or even die, if the penny is not removed.

Note: According to the ASPCA, "Some dogs can eat [avocados] without having any adverse reactions. .... The Guatemalan variety, a common one found in stores, appears to be the most problematic. Other strains of avocado can have different degrees of toxic potential."

"My dog ate ______ lots of times and didn't die, so ______ don't kill dogs." That logic is no better than "My dog runs in the street all the time and has never been hit by a car, so dogs never get hit by cars."

http://lacetoleather.com/fataltodogs.html

Also, I've known a few boozehounds who think it's funny or okay to let their dogs slurp beer/alcohol.  NO, not okay!   Must remember the "TOXIC" in "intoxicate."

Gee, Pretender, I hope all our comments don't convince you to get a pet rock.  (Although I'm sure it'd look good sitting next to your new fence.  Well-behaved too.)   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 07:06:48 pm »

Labs & Goldens make **GREAT** family pets but have a short life span, typically 10~12 years, some longer, but are prone to health problems in later years (aren't we all?)

I personally don't recommend anyone ever getting a pet if it's going to be kept mostly outside, or will be outside more than half the time. What are you going to do with it in the winter or when it's pouring rain?  Would YOU want to live outside?  If you LOVE your pet, it lives inside your home with you and is a member of the family.

The dog will have a room the size of a garage indoors. The garage was renovated to become part of the house before I purchased it.

"What about traveling? Dogs cannot be left alone, period. Either they go with you or you have to pay someone to come over 2~3 times a day or you have to pay a kennel. What's it going to be? A kennel is a cage. Would YOU want to be caged (thrown in jail)? Damnit, the pet has feelings too!"

I travel in a power chair. Don't drive and am unable to travel long distance.

"If you're looking for a dog that doesn't bark then don't get a dog. Dogs bark.  However, they only bark for a reason. Either they've been raised to bark or they haven't.  Getting a shelter dog is a nice humane gesture, but whatever behavioral traits the dog has already acquired are traits you're going to have to live with."

I don't want a yippity dog that barks at it's own shadow. Dogs bark, but am looking for one that doesn't bark just to hear itself.

"House-training will be (and will have to be) an almost full time job the first few weeks, so you'll want a smart dog that learns quick. I say this because you absolutely do not want a Cocker Spaniel. Those are the dumbest dogs in the whole animal kingdom and if you doubt me, ask your vet. Cockers also are prone to having ear problems."

I had to be house-trained and am expecting to have to do the same with a pet.

"I recommend a small-to-medium sized dog (25~30 lbs at adult weight) and for longevity and health reasons I'd go with a mixed-breed rather than a purebred."

I'm leaning towards the medium sized.

"By all means get the dog obedience-trained and for this I really recommend engaging the services of a professional trainer and not a group class at Petsmart. You get what you pay for.  As I often say, there's nothing nicer than a well-trained dog, nor worse than a rude, ill-mannered child."

I intend to get the dog whisperer.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:11:52 pm by Pretender » Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2009, 07:33:08 pm »

There is almost no better experience in life than having a dog.  Expensive, yes, not like the old days.  Worth it ?  You bet, every single minute.  Go for it, you won't regret it.
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2009, 09:17:34 pm »

Tuck, no it was a raccoon.  Yesterday morning, he trapped a possum on top of our fence.  I had to go out and save the poor thing or Tigger would have killed it.  Boy, they sure are ugly little crearures.

I was just being sarcastic with you...you said he was playing dead, so thought he might have been playing possum, lol
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 04:42:26 pm »

Pretender, here's one more educational webpage that perhaps you should (or should NOT?) investigate before getting a doggie  Wink :

http://www.yelp.com/topic/austin-whats-the-weirdest-thing-your-dog-ever-ate-destroyed
Report Spam   Logged
Madisons

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2009, 09:22:31 pm »

Hey Prentender....any news on finding a doggie friend?
Report Spam   Logged

Live One Day At A Time And Make It A Masterpiece
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2009, 06:06:34 pm »

Just completed the fencing. Went up to Pets Plus today because I was thinking that it might be a good idea to put in one of those invisible fences with a shock collar deal. The overall store manager overheard me talking with another employee and heard me mention Lab. Just so happens that one of her dogs had pups July 3 and she had the pups with her. The father is a Lab and the mother is a Husky-shepherd mix. Saw the pups and chose "Jackie" and may take "Solphie" later on. The lady has had the pups all dewormed and is going to get them their shots and have "J & S" spayed. I'm gonna pay for the shots and spaying and she's going to give me "Jackie" as soon as she is finished with the Vet. I may take "Solphie" later.  I wanted Black and they're brown. I can live with that. So off we go.............
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum