Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 07:09:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

I need help in deciding what sort/breed of dog I might match with.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help in deciding what sort/breed of dog I might match with.  (Read 2335 times)
Winston

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 07:03:43 pm »

Just completed the fencing. Went up to Pets Plus today because I was thinking that it might be a good idea to put in one of those invisible fences with a shock collar deal. The overall store manager overheard me talking with another employee and heard me mention Lab. Just so happens that one of her dogs had pups July 3 and she had the pups with her. The father is a Lab and the mother is a Husky-shepherd mix. Saw the pups and chose "Jackie" and may take "Solphie" later on. The lady has had the pups all dewormed and is going to get them their shots and have "J & S" spayed. I'm gonna pay for the shots and spaying and she's going to give me "Jackie" as soon as she is finished with the Vet. I may take "Solphie" later.  I wanted Black and they're brown. I can live with that. So off we go.............

Good going Pretender!   Congratulations to ALL of you.   It sounds like a good "match" you have planned well for and will be a good new doggie "dad"!  Grin

Something I'm very sorry to hear though is that a petstore manager does not have all her own dogs "fixed."   Apparently she's either not aware or doesn't really care that:

According to www.americanhumane.org , "IT IS WIDELY ACCEPTED THAT 9.6 MILLION ANIMALS ARE EUTHANIZED ANNUALLY IN THE U.S.  56% of dogs and 71% of cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized."

Sorry to be bitterly blunt here, but as long as unwanted pets are being cruelly disposed at such an inexcusably tragic rate, I believe those who allow their dogs to breed, including even "caring" breeders (except perhaps those trying to save endangered species) are irresponsibly propagating THE PROBLEM -- they're misguided at best (creating elitest toys?), and disgusting at worst (puppy mills, that simply create more suffering than joy on this earth).

Whoa, didn't mean to be such a bummer though on your happy day of puppy-dadhood.   Undecided   Again, congrats, best of luck, and so glad you're already being such a careful responsible provider.    May you and your new "kid/s" have MUCH joy!  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:10:57 pm by Winston » Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 06:18:36 pm »

Just completed the fencing. Went up to Pets Plus today because I was thinking that it might be a good idea to put in one of those invisible fences with a shock collar deal. The overall store manager overheard me talking with another employee and heard me mention Lab. Just so happens that one of her dogs had pups July 3 and she had the pups with her. The father is a Lab and the mother is a Husky-shepherd mix. Saw the pups and chose "Jackie" and may take "Solphie" later on. The lady has had the pups all dewormed and is going to get them their shots and have "J & S" spayed. I'm gonna pay for the shots and spaying and she's going to give me "Jackie" as soon as she is finished with the Vet. I may take "Solphie" later.  I wanted Black and they're brown. I can live with that. So off we go.............

Good going Pretender!   Congratulations to ALL of you.   It sounds like a good "match" you have planned well for and will be a good new doggie "dad"!  Grin

Something I'm very sorry to hear though is that a petstore manager does not have all her own dogs "fixed."   Apparently she's either not aware or doesn't really care that:

According to www.americanhumane.org , "IT IS WIDELY ACCEPTED THAT 9.6 MILLION ANIMALS ARE EUTHANIZED ANNUALLY IN THE U.S.  56% of dogs and 71% of cats that enter animal shelters are euthanized."

Sorry to be bitterly blunt here, but as long as unwanted pets are being cruelly disposed at such an inexcusably tragic rate, I believe those who allow their dogs to breed, including even "caring" breeders (except perhaps those trying to save endangered species) are irresponsibly propagating THE PROBLEM -- they're misguided at best (creating elitest toys?), and disgusting at worst (puppy mills, that simply create more suffering than joy on this earth).

Whoa, didn't mean to be such a bummer though on your happy day of puppy-dadhood.   Undecided   Again, congrats, best of luck, and so glad you're already being such a careful responsible provider.    May you and your new "kid/s" have MUCH joy!  Smiley

I hadn't thought about them not having their dogs fixed. The lady seems very nice and concerned about the pups. She lives on a farm around Veedersburg I think she said. She's going to take Jackie to Vermilion Hillcrest Animal Hospital by Taco Bell on North Vermilion so Jackie can get her shots and get spayed(sp). I stopped by there today and put up a credit for the shots. The lady even said that she could keep Jackie while she recovers from being spayed(sp) which should take about a week. I got food, treats, collar, leash, and toys for Jackie today. Hope this all works out.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »

I hadn't thought about them not having their dogs fixed. The lady seems very nice and concerned about the pups. She lives on a farm around Veedersburg I think she said. She's going to take Jackie to Vermilion Hillcrest Animal Hospital by Taco Bell on North Vermilion so Jackie can get her shots and get spayed(sp). I stopped by there today and put up a credit for the shots. The lady even said that she could keep Jackie while she recovers from being spayed(sp) which should take about a week. I got food, treats, collar, leash, and toys for Jackie today. Hope this all works out.
Good luck with you new found friend Bob. I hope the two of you find happiness together.
I'm curious about the charges in a dog being spayed or neutured. Last time I had a dog spayed it cost me close to 200.00. You would think the price would be lowered to encourage to have the procedure done. Your thoughts?
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »

Well geez, Pretender, if it doesn't work out, something's odd, because you've been so considerate of doggie-needs -- in fact, you've done more in  ADVANCE  of getting a hairy little rascal than anyone I know (and I know some extremely careful "dog people").  Heck, I'm not sure most dads are even that prepared for new little human arrivals!  Wink
(Of course, I'm just assuming you have the nursery painted pink with a frilly bassinet and a little matching pink electric scooter-chair with "Jackie" painted in gold lettering...)  Grin

I didn't mean to imply the original owner's not nice;  no doubt she is.   I just have fits about all the fine dogs and cats that go begging or put to death at shelters because even nice people let them multiply.  Granted, I'm fierce about the issue -- most people don't think about it because it's all so "hidden" and unspoken (sorry but I'm a loud mouth).  Heck, I wish visiting an animal "shelter" were a requirement in schools so that more could see what really happens to all those unwanted pets.  Believe me, it's a life-changing EDUCATION....  Cry

... As is visiting a slaughter-house or egg-production plant, but that's a whole different realm of animal cruelty that I doubt any of us want to get into.   (But if you're brave enough to, check out this link to the REAL cost of cheap eggs -- over 30 million male chicks ground alive every year.   Sorry to those who find this out-of-place, offensive or inappropriate, but word must get out somehow!   Embarrassed ):
http://www.newsrunner.com/topic/health/246988035/0

Back on topic:   For now Pretender, I just think you deserve praise, thanks and best wishes for doing so much to save one, perhaps two, little pups from what could have been a very unpleasant reality.   Good work! 
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 08:58:19 pm »

Cleaning Lady, the Vermilion County Animal Shelter, through CARA, Citizens for Animal Rescue and Adoption (the volunteers who show dogs & cats at Village Mall on Saturdays), now have access to low cost spay/neuter for both dogs and cats.  (One reason they need more volunteers.)

My understanding is that you call to make arrangements on a certain day to take them to the Tilton CARA office (old church at east end of new 14th St bridge), someone drives them to Indy where the operations take place, then brings back same day.  You must then tend to them during recuperation at home.

Call 217-431-0332 for spay/neuter details, or CARA's Connie at 217-799-8858.  Cat cost $40.  Dog cost minimum $50, depending on weight/gender.

http://www.vermilioncountyanimalshelter.com/

And info below from the CATsNAP website at http://www.catsnap.org/spay.htm   

DOG SPAY/NEUTER HELP: Contact the Paxton Veterinary Clinic at 217-379-3232 and inquire about their everyday low cost dog surgery prices.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 06:03:58 pm »

This is getting rather expensive. $400 plus to get shots, spayed, and ID chip implanted. Then gotta pay for dog tags $7.50. Purchased food, treats, collar, leash, bed mat, door gate, and some toys approx. $180. Fencing approx. $550. Will need monthly heart worm pills $? No wonder there's so many animals without homes I guess. Inconsiderate current owners and expense of new owners.

This stuff is really a sick topic:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/

Torturing Fido article today.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »

This is getting rather expensive. $400 plus to get shots, spayed, and ID chip implanted. Then gotta pay for dog tags $7.50. Purchased food, treats, collar, leash, bed mat, door gate, and some toys approx. $180. Fencing approx. $550. Will need monthly heart worm pills $? No wonder there's so many animals without homes I guess. Inconsiderate current owners and expense of new owners.

This stuff is really a sick topic:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/

Torturing Fido article today.
Yep, doggone (or rather, money gone?)  Undecided Sorry to say Pretender, but all that makes the total $80 adoption fee from VCAS or CARA a far better bargain, doesn't it?!   Still, all those with loving dogs will tell you it's a priceless experience.   (Besides, as you know, if those dire 2012 predictions come true, we'll not need money anyway!)  Wink
(Seniors 62 and over - all Adoptions are $50.00)

The following are included in the cost of adopting:

Spay/Neuter of the Animal
     Adoption fee
     Rabies vaccination
     Rabies tag
     Distemper vaccination
     De-worming
     Health exam by local veterinarian
     Microchip
     Pet food, collar and leash
Vermilion County Animal Shelter
14775 Catlin/Tilton Road
Danville, IL 61834
Phone: (217) 431-2660
Fax:    (217) 431-7490
E-Mail:  frontdeskdog@vercounty.org
http://www.vermilioncountyanimalshelter.com/

CARA Adoption of VCAS cats, kittens and dogs, puppies  217-799-8858

As for that depressing editorial about the disgusting boom in sales of animal torture films (while the Supreme Court dawdles on the issue), the first (and so far ONLY) comment of smug dismissal sums up most people's lack of interest in preventing such cruelty: "Another slow day in N-G editorialland."   How easy life must be without conscience or concern for innocent creatures dying in agony, not to mention the lower lifeforms taking pleasure or profit from it. 
Once you truly open your eyes to the problem of animal neglect and cruelty, you start seeing it everywhere.  It is a pervasive evil in our midst. Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged
nanny

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 01:50:42 am »

Pretender, I hope you will consider another vet like Cooper/King at East Lake.  I cannot tell you why on this forum, but may call you and tell you.  I will also tell the manager at pet store.  I have VERY good reasons for suggesting this.  Also, it is not too late to make arrangements at the low cost spay/neuter program.  I WILL call you.  A friend of mine does the driving for this and I am sure she will help you in any way possible.  I have already talked with you about this when you were considering a shelter animal.  You used to work with my ex.  You told me to tell him hi and I have.  He often eats at CRIS for breakfast if you can get there.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 06:04:08 pm »

Pretender, I hope you will consider another vet like Cooper/King at East Lake.  I cannot tell you why on this forum, but may call you and tell you.  I will also tell the manager at pet store.  I have VERY good reasons for suggesting this.  Also, it is not too late to make arrangements at the low cost spay/neuter program.  I WILL call you.  A friend of mine does the driving for this and I am sure she will help you in any way possible.  I have already talked with you about this when you were considering a shelter animal.  You used to work with my ex.  You told me to tell him hi and I have.  He often eats at CRIS for breakfast if you can get there.

I chose Hillcrest due to distance. It's the closest to where I live. Perhaps you could PM me here and provide some more insight. I would appreciate it. I am trying to avoid creating any inconvenience to Sherri at Pet Supplies "Plus". She offered to care for the pup after it is spayed for recuperation time. I guess I felt like by taking this puppy that it would be the same as taking one from the shelter. I've never focused on AKC and/or pure breed as I just wanted to help with the over abundance of animals that don't have homes. CRIS for breakfast is beyond my reach due to distance and sidewalk barriers. I love breakfast though I usually eat it for lunch lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
nanny

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 01:43:28 am »

Pretender, I forgot to tell you that my ex now lives in an apartment at Devonshire.  I will tell him to get a hold of you.  Of course, he may not listen to me as he never did when we were married!  The low cost program of which you have heard could still work for you.  I will talk with Sherri  for you if you like.  Why not save some money now to have for obedience training because with that breed and size of puppy I believe it will need it.  I recently rescued a very sweet little puppy which quickly became a huge rowdy dog.  I have yet to find him a permanent home and he definitely is too much for me to handle.  I love him and he is sweet, but he needs someone who can handle him and walk him, etc.   The last time I tried to walk him was not a pleasant experience.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »

Pretender, I forgot to tell you that my ex now lives in an apartment at Devonshire.  I will tell him to get a hold of you.  Of course, he may not listen to me as he never did when we were married!  The low cost program of which you have heard could still work for you.  I will talk with Sherri  for you if you like.  Why not save some money now to have for obedience training because with that breed and size of puppy I believe it will need it.  I recently rescued a very sweet little puppy which quickly became a huge rowdy dog.  I have yet to find him a permanent home and he definitely is too much for me to handle.  I love him and he is sweet, but he needs someone who can handle him and walk him, etc.   The last time I tried to walk him was not a pleasant experience.

I've seen your ex once or twice at County Market. I left a message for D.B. to call me this AM, but haven't heard from her yet. I'm a pretty stubborn person and demand that I do as much as I can for myself as long as I am able. I'll keep a watch on the vet clinic and will change to another if I feel uncomfortable with their services. I appreciate the information that you have provided to me. I've reduced the size of available space to the puppy to 1/3 the size of the room and I've got a stake with 15 foot leader in my back yard so I will have more control over the pup while training. The pup will earn more space and freedom once it accepts the boundaries I expect.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:44 am »

Pretender, the subject matter of your other thread yesterday reminds me, did you get a pooper scooper for Jackie?  (If so, good luck in training HER how to use it, along with the t-p of course.  Grin

And hey, if you did get any sort of "shocker system," try not to "taser" her too much.  I kid here, but seriously, I tried one of those dog-collars at strongest current on my arm once -- whoo-eee, not funny at all -- VERY unpleasant, made me jump.  Don't think I'd want to use one unless it could prevent something drastic, like an attack.  Even then, I'm not sure if it'd make a mean dog back off or just get madder.  Maybe someone else has firsthand info on effectiveness or danger of shock-collars.  (Sure made me behave though.  Cheesy )

I also directed a little battery-operated anti-bark "siren" for a few seconds once at a very unruly neighbor dog who often barked nonstop for no reason.  (Such a thing is mostly inaudible to human ears except for soft high screech, but very shrill to a dog.)  It definitely got his attention and was so surprised, he actually shut up for a few minutes.  But they're useless if the dog's too far away or making so much racket that he can't even hear the thing.  (Useless on his owners too, who are even louder.  Wink)

I wonder if either extreme device could've help settle down the "rambunctious" rejected collie Sloppy Joe who recently got sent flying (literally) from the local shelter.  BLESS all caring animal helpers!  I'd sure not want to have to clean up after 62 dogs and countless kitties!!  Tongue:

DANVILLE -- Flying from Danville to Chicago. After a layover, catching a connector flight to New York. Sounds like a business trip right? Well, it was anything but business for one special passenger.

One group took to the sky to save a dog. "Pilots 'n Pets" flies animals from one shelter to another hoping to find them a permanent home.

With the engine fired up and the plane heading for the runway, Nancy Gulick of the Vermilion County Animal Shelter said goodbye to her friend.

"I teared up when he was taking off because I know I'll never see him again," she said, "And you do get attached when they spend a lot of time at the shelter."

It might be Sloppy Joe's last chance. Families have already returned the rambunctious Border Collie twice.

"The first time, it just wasn't a match for him," Gulick said, "He was just too much dog. The second time, he didn't get along with the other dog."

But then Gulick found out a shelter in New Jersey wanted Joe.

"Actually, they contacted me, and what I believe they do is look on a website."

Websites like "Petfinder" give information about shelter pets across the country. Just type in the breed and location and there you see dogs like Joe. But someone needed to get him to New Jersey. That's where volunteer pilots like Lynn Merli come in.

"Well it's important because every life's important - even animals," Merli said, "I feel like it's a good cause and I want to try and help."

Merli flew in from Champaign and Joe boarded his flight. With that, Merli took off and Joe began the next chapter of his two-year-old life. Now, it's up to 11th Hour Animal Rescue in Rockaway, NJ to find a home for Joe.

The Vermilion County Animal Shelter has 32 dogs on its adoption floor. That's full capacity. Gulick says there are about 30 more dogs waiting on another floor.

Reported by A.J. Bayatpour
Posted: October 1, 2009
News video at http://www.wicd15.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wicd_vid_1126.shtml

Many positive reviews about the "last chance" 11th Hour Rescue volunteers at http://www.zootoo.com/rescuegroups/zip07866_eleventhhourrescue-zpagez1-srb282888
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2009, 05:13:03 pm »

Oh, and Pretender, you have plenty time this winter to plan for Jackie's outside pool...  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 05:43:52 pm »

I've already set up a hot tub and a sauna for her. Enough is enough! Of course, I'm waiting on the wide screen HDTV I ordered for her............
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 11:58:59 pm »

Sounds like Jackie is going to be quite the pampered pooch.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum