Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 04:02:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Do the signs point to harsh [2009] winter?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do the signs point to harsh [2009] winter?  (Read 881 times)
Winston

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:05 pm »

Whoa Winston! Get'n kind of squirrely out there aren't ya! I tried killing the zombie squirrels but wasn't very good...they got me!
Squirrelly and surly, yep!  But that's because the zombies were after me.  Maybe I need to settle my nerves and bushy tail with ... a few chocolates... (hazelnut of course...)

Report Spam   Logged
Radardude

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 08:24:14 am »

In refernece to the original question of this thread..... no.

In fact, with a strengthening El Nino in the Pacific, we should have a warmer and dryer winter than normal.
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 09:26:29 am »

That's the information I have too Radardude, and after the ice storm we had last year, I certainly hope it's true............. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 03:56:07 pm »

I'm praying you are right Radardude!
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Radardude

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 10:25:16 pm »

Well, that's the rub of the situation.

We will probably have a bit more ice than usual with the increase in temperatures.

But the dryer than normal outlook should curtail the number of instances.
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:55:17 pm »

Don't know that they predict what sort of winter, but those annoying little Mexican Bean Beetles sure know when the last hurrah of summer is (currently).  If you live in a rural area, you already know they're out in full force today, trying to get inside.  Smelly and they bite ... but maybe not as much as some other nasty seasonal invaders ...  Shocked

http://sunnyskepticdreams.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/zombies.jpg

Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:30 pm »

Whoa! Those seasonal invader zombies scared me! I wasn't expecting it!

The ones I hate are these bugs, they're Asian Lady Beetles....and I live in a rural area right next to a bean field. They're everywhere and yes they bite!

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:34 am »

OK, which is it, Mexican or Asian bugs ?  There are millions of them in my yard and they even get into the house.  So, today, I'll spray all the screens with bug killer.  That generally takes care of them for a few days.  After that, they'll be gone until Spring.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27:39 am »

OK, which is it, Mexican or Asian bugs ?  There are millions of them in my yard and they even get into the house.  So, today, I'll spray all the screens with bug killer.  That generally takes care of them for a few days.  After that, they'll be gone until Spring.

The multicolored Asian lady beetle has the prominent black 'M'-shaped marking behind its head. This 'M' can look thick, thin or even broken in appearance. The one I just squashed had the M.
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »

... although they can resemble "old maids" so beware when eating popcorn.  Grin

OK, which is it, Mexican or Asian bugs ? 

Well, could be both -- you have to listen closely to figure out if they're speaking Spanish or Chinese.  Grin  (Actually you'll probably just hear "crunch" every time you open/close the door.) 

Thanks for differentiating, DejaVu.  Yes, those advancing on the house are most likely the harmless Asian (Mexican ones often head inside barns or huddle deep under thick brush or ditchbanks for more moisture).  Many ladybug cousins -- some 4,000 species worldwide and over 350 kinds in America!    Another way to tell, if you want to get that close, is count dots -- Mex have 8 in 3 rows per wing. 

At least Asian HELP by eating other pests (aphids, mealybugs, etc) instead of chewing up bean leaves, but yes, all a nuisance this time of year.  Asians won't "hurt" (unless you're allergic) except for those little bites when threatened, and smelly brown stains, or accidentally flying into your mouth.   

I've heard that finches, cardinals, toads and certain wasps eat Mexican (little bug tacos? Cheesy), but I don't know if anything likes acrid Asian ones ... vacuum sweepers maybe?  Shouldn't really kill them, as they do far more good (outside) than harm.  Tenacious little brats though.

http://imfc.cfl.scf.rncan.gc.ca/insecte-insect-eng.asp?geID=1492
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 09:18:11 pm »

When I lived in Florida they have Love Bugs! OMG...these things can actually penetrate car paint! What a way to go I guess... Grin

They call them Love Bugs because they "are small flies that are in the process of mating when they swarm over the roads. So usually there are two individuals: the large one is the female and the small one is the male. The female usually gets her way and she drags the male around with her."

They should really call them "Henpecked Bugs"....

Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 02:54:42 pm »

And the Asian beetles are not just bugging US...  all over Europe too...

Yet ANOTHER name for them: Harlequin Ladybird (nice Brit name for a ladybug that reads dippy romances? Cheesy) (Not Mrs. LBJ.)  Wink

Although The Times/UK is a prestigious newspaper, they're going a bit "Rupert Murdoch tabloid" here to call them "Killers."  Some good comments afterwards though:   
http://timesonline.typepad.com/science/2009/10/killer-ladybirds-get-them-on-camera.html

Hens DO peck and eat bugs, you know -- wonder if they'd eat the invaders.  Might produce eggs with dots and an "M" on one end though...    <That was a poor yolk.>    Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 03:54:29 pm »

When I lived in Florida they have Love Bugs! OMG...these things can actually penetrate car paint! What a way to go I guess... Grin

They call them Love Bugs because they "are small flies that are in the process of mating when they swarm over the roads. So usually there are two individuals: the large one is the female and the small one is the male. The female usually gets her way and she drags the male around with her."

In the past, my wife and I would vacation on Siesta Key every year the last 3 weeks of May.  The last few years, the love bugs were so bad that you couldn't go outside, especially by the pool area.  After a couple of years, we learned that we should go earlier or later.
I traveled to Florida almost every year since 1946, when I was a kid with my parents, and until the late 90's can not remember being bothered by these little critters.
Now, we go in early May, just to avoid these annoying bugs.
Report Spam   Logged
jeffc

100 years from now it won't matter now will it?

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 02:09:38 pm »

Some of my reading suggests that sun spot activity plays a major factor in whether or not we have a mild or wild winter season? Our cooler summer this year was attributed to by some "experts" as being caused by lack of sunspot activity? Who knows? I suppose that's just as good of a theory as anything else?
Report Spam   Logged

Help, I'm falling. Get me another beer.
Mr. Buzorro

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 07:58:52 pm »

Can we agree that we 'did not' have a harsh winter?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum