Vermilion Voice
April 16, 2024, 07:06:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

ALZHEIMER'S - interesting observation

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ALZHEIMER'S - interesting observation  (Read 53 times)
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:09:07 pm »

My mother "finally" passed away in early 2004 at the age of 90. I say "finally" with a little lump in my throat because we felt utterly helpless as we watched her ever-so-gradually, over a period of almost 25 years, steadily decline and eventually become a human vegetable, either tied in her bed or else tied in her wheelchair. What a cruel disease! As a Christian, you really have to ask, what is God's plan?  It was truly God's mercy that she was finally able to let go and leave the mortal world, but with no remaining dignity. All that had long since been stripped from her years ago by this damned disease.

As is common with Alzheimer's patients, her "exit" was terribly prolonged over many-many years. In fact her doctor first made the diagnosis 25 years before her death. She remained living at home as long as it was humanly possible to care for her. My step-dad was a saint. I don't think I could have done all that he did.

Anyway, my point in all this is that we made something of a startling discovery that others with a loved one going through this dreadful disease may want to be aware of and give it a try.  You see, as mom slowly entered deeper into the fog it became increasingly difficult for her to carry on a lucid conversation with anyone face to face.  However, we discovered, much to our joy, that if you called and spoke to her over the phone that it was like talking to an entirely different person! Of course you could still tell she was fading, but over the phone she was easily 3 or 4 times as lucid as she was in person. In fact this still worked up until the final stage, about 5 years before she died.

Might be worth a try.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:11:25 pm by Cap'n Preshoot » Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nancyo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:41:57 pm »

Lost my Mom to this killer also - hence my concern every time I find myself forgetting a name or personal memory.  I know what it is to grasp at straws for any hint of the person we remember.  I would never have thought this might have made a difference and never tried in latter years to phone her.  My sis was with her until I was able to retire to take my turn caring for her and when I would call rather than stopping by, it was sis I dealt with.  Hope this is able to help others here who may be in the process of losing a loved one.  Maybe someday medical science will find help in lifting the fog that surrounds them.  What a blessing that would be.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum