Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 11:28:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Lawsuit

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawsuit  (Read 2235 times)
Chazzy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:13:42 pm »

Looks like Danville residents are gonna have to dig into their deeeeeep  pockets and help them out with the RACIAL LAWSUIT they will probly just go ahead an pay..The guy that bought the Harwell Hotel is suing  because the city or state wont give him no more money to fix it up..so he can get some more prisoners into Danville and rent them a room...Ithink he bought it as is where is ....tooo bad . so he"s gonna play the radial  card to get more money.sue SUE SUE....But i reckin Danville will cave...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:58:32 pm »

Looks like Danville residents are gonna have to dig into their deeeeeep  pockets and help them out with the RACIAL LAWSUIT they will probly just go ahead an pay..The guy that bought the Harwell Hotel is suing  because the city or state wont give him no more money to fix it up..so he can get some more prisoners into Danville and rent them a room...Ithink he bought it as is where is ....tooo bad . so he"s gonna play the radial  card to get more money.sue SUE SUE....But i reckin Danville will cave...

According to the C-N article...

"Butler said the city helps other building owners fix their buildings, and Butler accused the city of singling Williams out as a black African American building owner."

Is that true...has the city helped other building owners fix their buildings? If it's not, then I don't see how he's got a case. No one should be allowed to play the race card...just because they can.

The city didn't give the guy that owns the old phone company building any money did they? What ever happened with that deal?

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:02 pm »

There is no lawsuit...

From the same C-N story:

Butler asked that the city cease all hostility toward Williams as he finishes renovations to the building, or they will be forced to file a lawsuit.

Building owners are required by City Ordinance to maintain their buildings.  The building in question has been in dis-repair for many years and the City has waited long enough for the owner to bring it into compliance like all building owners do.

IMHO, Williams tried a 'grand experiment' that he's been unable to accomplish.  I wasn't at the meeting in question, maybe Wesner could have been more 'polite,'...maybe not...

Again...there is no lawsuit.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:30:31 am »

Well said DJ, And buzz , i hear that the NAACP is already into it..and as for as wut he has already done.................put a piece of plywood on a couple windows..and not only that Buzz , i hear he got a BIG grant awhile back..and instead of fixing it up.  He went and bought more property..i dont know all the details . but doubt if you do eighter........guees we will see
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 10:14:02 am »

I drove past that dump the other day.  It's going to take a lot of money to bring that place up to any reasonable standard.  I'd give Williams 6 months to fix it up or tear it down.  NO GRANT to house parolee sex offenders.  But, I'd give those parolees free bus tickets to go back to Chicago.
Report Spam   Logged
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 03:33:01 pm »

I drove past that dump the other day.  It's going to take a lot of money to bring that place up to any reasonable standard.  I'd give Williams 6 months to fix it up or tear it down.  NO GRANT to house parolee sex offenders.  But, I'd give those parolees free bus tickets to go back to Chicago.

You probably need to send them further away than Chicago.  Kinda like dumping a cat in the woods. Only 2-1/2 hours away I'd bet they'll find their way back. I'd suggest sending them out to Washington, D.C. - lots of their brethren out there and who knows, maybe Barkey will put them up someplace, the Lincoln bedroom perhaps (just another black family in gum'mint housing).

The Harwal Hotel? That place was a Sh**hole 30 years ago. I thought it had burned down.  You have an abundance of undesirables living in your city because there's an abundance of Section VIII properties attracting them there.  By eliminating the magnet you eliminate the problem.

Around here they burn 'em out, literally. There's currently an arsonist actively working "urban renewal" of his own down in the Acres Homes section of Houston (comparable to your 500 block of E. WIlliams except larger).  They've had 9 arson fires down there in the last 6 weeks, apartments, crack houses, etc. In one apartment bldg someone vented an entire 80 lb industrial oxygen cylinder in the laundry room. Then when the water heater kicked on the whole place went up like a July 4th Grand Finale, burned to the ground before the fire dept. got there.
Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 04:53:43 pm »

You probably need to send them further away than Chicago.  Kinda like dumping a cat in the woods. Only 2-1/2 hours away I'd bet they'll find their way back. I'd suggest sending them out to Washington, D.C. - lots of their brethren out there and who knows, maybe Barkey will put them up someplace, the Lincoln bedroom perhaps (just another black family in gum'mint housing).

The Harwal Hotel? That place was a Sh**hole 30 years ago. I thought it had burned down.  You have an abundance of undesirables living in your city because there's an abundance of Section VIII properties attracting them there.  By eliminating the magnet you eliminate the problem.

Around here they burn 'em out, literally. There's currently an arsonist actively working "urban renewal" of his own down in the Acres Homes section of Houston (comparable to your 500 block of E. WIlliams except larger).  They've had 9 arson fires down there in the last 6 weeks, apartments, crack houses, etc. In one apartment bldg someone vented an entire 80 lb industrial oxygen cylinder in the laundry room. Then when the water heater kicked on the whole place went up like a July 4th Grand Finale, burned to the ground before the fire dept. got there.

You Sir are a very scary person. I'm glad I live nowhere close to you.
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:14:52 pm »

You Sir are a very scary person. I'm glad I live nowhere close to you.

Merely reporting the news. Approx. 80% of the crime here is Black vs. Black and mostly occurring in the predominantly Black neighborhoods. It got worse after the 200,000 Katrina evacuees landed here (most of them Black as well). You figure it out. The people live like animals, destroy their own property like animals, fight amongst each other like animals and overall behave like animals but then cry "racial profiling" when they're caught and wind up caged like animals. I'm sorry, but what goes around, comes around. At the state prison in Huntsville, about 50 miles North of here it's sometimes referred to as the "Huntsville Chapter of the VFW" (as in Very Few Whites).

The "arsonist" wreaking havoc down in the Acres Homes area is suspected to be a prior offender who apparently got a lot better at his craft while in prison. The cops have an idea who is doing it but can't find him and can't ever catch him and in spite of all the fires no one has ever seen any "suspicious characters" milling around. Every one of the fires has been started right around 4 AM and he has hit one of his targets 3 times. Miraculously so far no one has been killed in any of them, making the police think that the arsonist is trying to send a warning, as in "get out".  All of the places "hit" so far have been reputed hangouts for drug activity and prostitution. There are a lot of shacks down in the Acres Homes area, many that need to be torn down but the city won't do anything about them. The apartment bldg that got torched was a firetrap that was mostly vacant due to a previous (accidental) fire last year in one end of it that the slum lord never repaired. After it burned completely down it was then a pile of rubble and the city came in and cleaned it up.
Report Spam   Logged

The Pay-TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it.
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:51 pm »

Twenty-five (more?) years ago, Danville's population peaked at around 52,000.  Since then we've lost about 50% of our population.  However, the houses didn't move.  Ergo, we have way too many empty houses.  When USA Today printed that article that stated that the lowest priced houses in the nation was in Danville, Illinois, CNN quickly sent a news team in to do a follow-up story.  Since then, we've had corporations buying up blocks of houses on the cheap, which artificially propped up the prices of available houses.  Then these carpetbaggers would fill them with Section 8 voucher holders.

Now, add the empty houses due to population loss, to the houses that are made empty due to the 'passing' over time of our very large demographic of senior citizens.  When an elderly person leaves his/her house to one of their children, unless that person already lives in Danville (which is not often, and if they do move into their old 'family home,' their making the one they live in vacant), the heir is unlikely to want to move to Danville.  They left for greener pastures to begin with.

So we've had a tremendous downward spiral in the local real estate market.  The ones that do come to Danville are not 'producers,' they don't add anything to our community, other than the Federal and State tax dollars that is spent to support them.  Granted, at least property taxes are being paid, and because of all the crap they waste with what little cash they have, there are local sales taxes being collected from them.

But just as illegal immigrants aren't a 'plus' to the nation's economy, neither are the waves of Section 8 voucher holders 'good' for our local economy, no matter what the DHA says.  This is why there is now talk of our once 'fair City' declaring bankruptcy.  I can empathize with the members of our local City Unions having 'low morale' at this time.  I've always pointed fingers at the unionization of any government employees, and I just hope that they're pointing fingers at what's sapping our tax base and not the City administrators or the taxpayers.

House the parolees next-door to the local head of the NAACP...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »

There's currently an arsonist actively working "urban renewal" of his own down in the Acres Homes section of Houston (comparable to your 500 block of E. WIlliams except larger).  They've had 9 arson fires down there in the last 6 weeks, apartments, crack houses, etc. In one apartment bldg someone vented an entire 80 lb industrial oxygen cylinder in the laundry room. Then when the water heater kicked on the whole place went up like a July 4th Grand Finale, burned to the ground before the fire dept. got there. [/size]

About the only thing I picture in the 500 block of East Williams are a couple of churches, a few homes, and a nicely maintained park. Perhaps you are referring to a public housing complex that existed there about 20 years ago. That is long gone with no trace remaining.
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:43:44 pm »

About the only thing I picture in the 500 block of East Williams are a couple of churches, a few homes, and a nicely maintained park. Perhaps you are referring to a public housing complex that existed there about 20 years ago. That is long gone with no trace remaining.

REALLY??  You mean Carver Park public housing is gone?  Holy smokes, what happened?
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 08:55:11 pm »

You probably need to send them further away than Chicago.  Kinda like dumping a cat in the woods. Only 2-1/2 hours away I'd bet they'll find their way back. I'd suggest sending them out to Washington, D.C. - lots of their brethren out there and who knows, maybe Barkey will put them up someplace, the Lincoln bedroom perhaps (just another black family in gum'mint housing).

You know that's a pretty inflamatory statement, just goes to show that racism isn't all that dead!

REALLY??  You mean Carver Park public housing is gone?  Holy smokes, what happened?

Perhaps you moved and things changed since you've been gone........it happens you know.

Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 09:14:21 pm »

Twenty-five (more?) years ago, Danville's population peaked at around 52,000.  Since then we've lost about 50% of our population.  However, the houses didn't move.  Ergo, we have way too many empty houses.  When USA Today printed that article that stated that the lowest priced houses in the nation was in Danville, Illinois, CNN quickly sent a news team in to do a follow-up story.  Since then, we've had corporations buying up blocks of houses on the cheap, which artificially propped up the prices of available houses.  Then these carpetbaggers would fill them with Section 8 voucher holders.

Now, add the empty houses due to population loss, to the houses that are made empty due to the 'passing' over time of our very large demographic of senior citizens.  When an elderly person leaves his/her house to one of their children, unless that person already lives in Danville (which is not often, and if they do move into their old 'family home,' their making the one they live in vacant), the heir is unlikely to want to move to Danville.  They left for greener pastures to begin with.

So we've had a tremendous downward spiral in the local real estate market.  The ones that do come to Danville are not 'producers,' they don't add anything to our community, other than the Federal and State tax dollars that is spent to support them.  Granted, at least property taxes are being paid, and because of all the crap they waste with what little cash they have, there are local sales taxes being collected from them.

But just as illegal immigrants aren't a 'plus' to the nation's economy, neither are the waves of Section 8 voucher holders 'good' for our local economy, no matter what the DHA says.  This is why there is now talk of our once 'fair City' declaring bankruptcy.  I can empathize with the members of our local City Unions having 'low morale' at this time.  I've always pointed fingers at the unionization of any government employees, and I just hope that they're pointing fingers at what's sapping our tax base and not the City administrators or the taxpayers.

House the parolees next-door to the local head of the NAACP...

Jeepers Buz, you're a regular wellspring of knowledge, aren't you?  Thanks for the info about the "corporate buys" - now it's all beginning to make more sense.  

Well as you say, at least this way the taxes on the places are getting paid and the welfare money is being spent locally, but you're correct, section 8 voucher holders do nothing to spur the local economy, quite the contrary. Overall they're generally a burden to your infrastructure.

And exactly as you say, heirs generally don't want to come back.  I sure didn't. We left in 79 and our only real regret was not leaving sooner. When my mom passed away in 2004, my sister and I both worried that one of us would end up with her home.  Fortunately she had remarried a number of years ago and left the house 50:50 to me and my stepdad and he was still alive and wanted the house so he bought out my interest. Within a year of him buying me out, the foundation buckled (slab home in Lake Shores) so although still standing, quite likely the house today is unsaleable, absent some really major ($$) foundation repair.  He (wisely in my opinion) took out a reverse mortgage to buy out my interest so I doubt he much cared what happens to the property after he's gone.
Report Spam   Logged

Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 11:44:04 pm »

Here is a picture of Carver Park today:

(at least I think it is..............)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:47:12 pm by Tuck » Report Spam   Logged
Cap'n Preshoot

Old Phart

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »

Here is a picture of Carver Park today:

(at least I think it is..............)

Holy smokes Tuck!  Where did the public housing go?  or maybe a better question is where did the people who lived there go?  What prompted them to tear down the projects? That was "gum'mint"  housing wasn't it?

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum