Vermilion Voice
April 16, 2024, 06:59:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

The path to freedom...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The path to freedom...  (Read 500 times)
Terry

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:42 am »

It's unlikely that you'll make many new friends by calling them illogical and pigheaded.  But, I suppose that's your way of expressing yourself.  "UP TO" and "COULD" are nothing more than Illinois code words for "WILL PAY MORE".
Most businesses use cost/benefit analysis to determine how they will run their operations.  Maybe you should try it sometime.  You might do better.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:30:19 pm »

ILLINOIS PUMPKINS ARE STILL NUMBER ONE
Pumpkin acreage grows into big business in Illinois

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 2, 2009

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - The nation's number one pumpkin producing state has devoted additional acreage to the crop.  According to the 2007 Census of Agriculture, Illinois now harvests 13,679 acres of pumpkins each year on 502 farms, up from 12,296 acres on 475 farms in 2002.

"More than likely, if you are carving a pumpkin this Halloween, or making grandma's famous pumpkin pie, your pumpkin came from right here in Illinois," Agriculture Director Tom Jennings said.

In addition to being the number one pumpkin producer, Illinois also is the number one pumpkin processor. Of the state's 13,679 acres of pumpkins, 9,749 of those acres are harvested for processing, which is mostly done at one of two plants near Peoria � Libby's in Morton and Seneca Foods in Princeville.

Last year, Illinois pumpkins had a "field value" of more than $22 million dollars. Some Illinois pumpkins are sold locally, while many are sold to national retailers such as Wal-Mart.

"Our specialty crop producers are working hard to meet the increasing demand for Illinois-grown produce," Jennings added.  "We applaud their efforts and vow to help them whenever possible."

One department initiative to promote the specialty crop industry is the Illinois Products Farmers Market.  The market, located in the Commodities Pavilion across from the Grandstand on the Illinois State Fairgrounds, is held Thursday evenings between May and October from 4-7 p.m.  On the last day of the market this season, Oct. 22, the public is invited to take part in a pumpkin carving competition. Pumpkins must be purchased from an Illinois vendor on site, and the winner will win an Illinois Products gift basket. For more information, call Kristi Jones at (217) 725-4873.

Source: http://www.agr.state.il.us/newsrels/r1002091.html

I grew my own pumpkins this year and I painted every one of them for Halloween. 
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 01:26:01 pm »

It's unlikely that you'll make many new friends by calling them illogical and pigheaded.  But, I suppose that's your way of expressing yourself. 

Would that be the same as you expressing yourself by calling DJ and I morons and Jew hating terrorists?............ Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 01:55:48 pm »

It's unlikely that you'll make many new friends by calling them illogical and pigheaded.  But, I suppose that's your way of expressing yourself. 

Would that be the same as you expressing yourself by calling DJ and I morons and Jew hating terrorists?............ Grin
More or less.  What do you think ?
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 07:38:38 am »

It's unlikely that you'll make many new friends by calling them illogical and pigheaded.  But, I suppose that's your way of expressing yourself.  "UP TO" and "COULD" are nothing more than Illinois code words for "WILL PAY MORE".
Most businesses use cost/benefit analysis to determine how they will run their operations.  Maybe you should try it sometime.  You might do better.

"Do better"?  Uh, I'm doing quite well already, thanks, especially by not choosing illogical, pigheaded and presumptuous friends or thought processes.  (I see you completely ignored the point that even with 10% added, local produce was still cheaper.  That's all the "cost/benefit analysis" I need.)

Huh?  Those were the kindest words I could come up with;  (you'd already used a choice one for Mr. Letterman).   Heck Terry, I can express myself much more rudely and obtusely but I don't like to aim for your level.  In fact I prefer to ignore that pointlessly argumentative level altogether.    So if you want to argue (as so often it seems you do), it would be smarter to do it with the pertinent people, not me.  Some names and numbers at :
http://www.familyfarmed.org/lffjtalkingpoints.html

Nice punkinhead deflection, DejaVu.   Thanks GA, for trying to aim a logical point at a hard object, no matter how far it might ricochet.   Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 10:29:14 am »

Well, I'm happy that you were able to get all that off your chest.  But, you never did address why the state should pay farmers in IL a 10% premium.  Guess it doesn't matter to you, but it does to me since I'm the one paying the bill through my taxes.
Report Spam   Logged
Chazzy

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »

The problem is that i do feel for the little mom and pop farmer .but they are all but gone nowadays. and you have the mega farmers, which i have yet to see a poor one..beteew the set asides and the subsidies ( welfare ), hell they even get it , a big check . when they have a good harvest, and crops are high. and wut do they work? I dont think they work 5 months a year.and most of them are outta here in the winter..basking in the sun..Boo Hoo.. Po ol farmers. and im talking crop farmer, not livestock, they do have to work for their money,  last i seen hogs were 35 cents a pound , live weight...go to the store and see wut a pack of pork chops cost ya. and they are being gobbled up by the corparations..The little farmer hasnt got a chance..they cant compete with the corparations.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:04 pm »

Nice punkinhead deflection, DejaVu.   

Ah...you caught that. Well...I'm like Switzerland these days.  Wink Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum