Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 05:07:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Gardening -- Dig it, man!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gardening -- Dig it, man!  (Read 169 times)
Winston

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« on: September 20, 2009, 12:56:34 pm »

ROTTEN tomato year hereEmbarrassed  Cukes, zukes, and crucifers out the ears though.  (Crucifers = mustard family plants whose blooms or early leaves form little crosses, like broc, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc.)     

Anybody try a TOPSY TURVY?   Mine got serious headaches trying to stand on their heads, but saw some whoppers hanging off sunny porches.  (I started with my own seedlings.  Trick must be to start with big sturdy nursery plants already on "steroids," full sun & plant-food water of course). 

Best toms I've seen this year though, still going crazy, have been in "earth boxes."

How to "grow your own" box:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Building-your-own-Earth-Box/ 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:05:15 pm »

Well, the critters  got all my early tomatoes and I heard others complaining that it took forever for them to ripen.  I till have a lot of green ones on the vine and am picking two to three ripe ones daily.  This didn't seem to be a good year for much of anything around here, but that's not going to stop me from trying again next year.    My red peppers finally turned red about a month ago and my yellow ones are just now turning.  I only got one pumpkin but it was perfect.  I got lots of watermelons but every time it rained they rotted.  The ones I did get were very small.  Zuccini, onions, bib lettace and green beans did great, but cucumbers fizzled.

You ask on a nother thread if gardening was an Art or a Science......it's both and I haven't figured out either one...................... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
Madisons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »

Winston....I followed your link.  It looks interesting for next year.  Just one question though,  what is a "pond basket"?
Report Spam   Logged

Live One Day At A Time And Make It A Masterpiece
Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »

Good question Madisons.  "pond basket" = app. 5" plastic "meshed" drainage basket to stick pond plants in.  A lot of gardening stuff can be simplified and improvised on your own, for example, just use a cottage cheese or some such sturdy container with holes poked in for drainage.   

From an easier ("greener"?) link to self-contained gardening http://www.josho.com/gardening.htm

Many folks have trouble finding "pond baskets." (BTW, the 5" refers to their HEIGHT, not their diameter, but the height is not at all crucial...it will just dictate how tall your insert is.) They're also sometimes called "water baskets." I find mine in the "water feature" area of my local gardening center or Home Depot/Lowe's-type store -- the area where they have fountains, pumps, and hoses. In the event that you can't find a suitable pond basket -- and they CAN be square, circular, tall, short, etc, -- you can improvise this a couple of ways and even perhaps save some more money. You can use a large coffee can, removing the top and bottom and punching lots of holes in the sides. (Just substitute the can for the pond basket in all the steps above...marking the height of the can in Step One, etc.) Or you can use a bunch of smaller cans, as long as they're all the same height, and spacing them out so that they help support the platform -- cutting the platform to the height of the cans in Step One, and cutting smaller holes, properly spaced, in Step Three instead of the one large hole.

Marigoldhead is definitely needed in this section!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:28:55 pm »

I have seen some people grow aouyya boxes. Garden looks pretty good, dont know about the harvest..but i grew out of big planters one year , just peppers and maters.. hell they did about as good as wasting all the ground, and a lot easier to keep weeded..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum