Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 07:39:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Take on the Economy

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Take on the Economy  (Read 250 times)
Guardian Angel

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »

There is good news for our area.  It was announced yesterday that Noranda Aluminum will call back all employess laid off in January.  Along with the new Orgill warehouse north of town, that recently hired over 300 people, that puts us in a position to look forward to better days.  Hopefully other areas will soon see the same recovery.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:29:38 pm »

Wow GA! That is good news! 
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:23:46 pm »

10,000 apply for 90 factory jobs

In the latest sign of weakness in Louisville-area employment, about 10,000 people applied over three days for 90 jobs building washing machines at General Electric for about $27,000 per year and hefty benefits.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091008/NEWS01/910080326/GE++10+000+applications+for+90+factory+jobs

Just out of curiosity, GA, what was the unemployment rate in your area before the recall of those workers?

The unemployment rate here in Little Chicago is 13.2%.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:00:15 pm »

I believe the unemployment rate here in Southeast Missouri was 8.8%.  I haven't seen a recent figure.
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:04 am »

I think this guy nailed it!
       _____

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy.  Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force.  Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.  Forty million job openings = Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR.  Forty million cars ordered = Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage = Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
Report Spam   Logged

Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:25:13 pm »

I will take that severance package!

Where do i sign?
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:01 pm »

Retail sales fall unexpectedly; jobless claims up
Retail sales drop 0.3 pct in December, plunge for year; new jobless claims rise

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Retail sales unexpectedly fell in December, leaving 2009 with the biggest yearly drop on record and highlighting the formidable hurdles facing the economy as it struggles to recover from the deepest recession in seven decades.

In another disappointing economic report, the number of newly laid-off workers requesting unemployment benefits rose more than expected last week as jobs remain scarce.

Still, many economists, puzzled by the retail sales decline that follows reports from retailers of brighter holidays, cautioned that the December figures don't necessarily signal a big consumer pullback and could be a blip.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-jobless-claims-rise-more-apf-1551827594.html?x=0&.v=6

'Puzzled economists?'  HAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!  How 'bout 'economic idiots?'

There cannot be an economic 'recovery' without job growth...ain't gonna happen.  'Deepest recession in seven decades?'  Someone sure doesn't want to use the 'D' word.

Record year for foreclosures as unemployment rises

MIAMI (AP) - A record 2.8 million households were threatened with foreclosure last year, and that number is expected to rise this year as more unemployed and cash-strapped homeowners fall behind on their mortgages...

Stemming the tide of foreclosures is an important step for the real estate market and the economy to recover...

The same three states that led the nation in foreclosure rate in December also posted the highest rates for the entire year: Nevada, Arizona and Florida. More than 10 percent of Nevada housing units received at least one foreclosure filing in 2009, with Florida and Arizona following with about 6 percent each.

The other states ranked in the top 10 for the year were California, Utah, Idaho, Georgia, Michigan, Illinois, and Colorado.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100114/D9D7AN7O0.html

Again,...no 'recovery' without job growth.

Is America's financial collapse inevitable?
Patrick J. Buchanan

...The five largest elements in the budget are Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, defense and interest on the debt.

With interest rates near record lows, and certain to rise...this budget item has to grow and has to be paid...

Second, with seniors on fire against Medicare cuts in health-care reform, it would be fatal for the Obama
Democrats to curtail Social Security or Medicare benefits any further this year...The same holds true for Medicaid...

This leaves defense...

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=122030

Even if the impossible was achieved, and our military 'killed' everyone who 'hates' us, the Pentagon would immediately 'create a new enemy to fear.' Their budgets won't be cut, no matter what.  We're like the gambler who's 'in too deep' to stop now.   If anything is to stop the 'inevitable financial collapse' of our country, it will be the military takeover of our government and the installation of a police state.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum