Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 05:39:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Alarming, and Sad.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alarming, and Sad.  (Read 534 times)
music man

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 06:51:13 pm »

Bingo,

Most  employees I had to terminate because they failed the drug screen were males under the age of 21.The ages of those who were terminated over alcohol varied far more. I had to terminate people who were legal to drive a car. Company had a zero tolerance policy on alcohol & drugs.

I had to let  some very good workers go because they tested positive for alcohol or drugs. At no time were they intoxicated. I am a EMT also. Don't get me wrong,some employees deserved to be let go. However when the plant ran 7 days as it often did a employee was at risk if he drank 1 beer & was taken in at random for a screen.

None of them knew when a random test would be done. Security would just tell someone they were going for the test & they would take them to the hospital. I'm not defending the drug & alcohol users but I do defend their right to do what they want on their own time.Just so they aren't under the influence at work.

Sure was plenty of alcohol at some of the mgt.parties I went to. However we were never tested. I don't drink except for the "New Years" tot of grog. I'd call the policy a double standard.
Report Spam   Logged
Bingo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:34:49 pm »

I agree with you MM. I have seen some of those 'power lunches'. At a school in a nearby town, I was told that there were parent teacher conferences a couple of weeks ago.  NINE teachers left the school for dinner before evening conferences began at 5. The had several drinks with dinner. That was technically their own time but I think the effects were still with them when they returned to the school. That is crazy, they should know better.

I agree, your employees should be free to do as they please when away from work. Hardly seems fair to randomly call anyone out for a test on their first day back at work after a break in a grueling schedule.

Males around age 21 have a lot of living to do to grow up.

Thanks for responding, I was curious, because I knew we hadn't lost anyone due to our random drug screens. All the years I have worked there, I have been sent twice for a random test.
Report Spam   Logged
music man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 08:23:40 pm »

The youth of today have become desensitized to brutality and horror.

You are 100% right in my opinion DJ!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum