Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 09:17:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

2010 Census to Begin

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Census to Begin  (Read 208 times)
Chazzy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:08 pm »

They can find out where all the illegals are and ship them back home!!!

Like that will ever happen!!!

Be aware.

2010 Census to Begin

WARNING: 2010 Census Cautions from the Better Business Bureau

Be Cautious About Giving Info to Census Workers

With the U.S. Census process beginning, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises people to be cooperative, but cautious, so as not to become a victim of fraud or identity theft. The first phase of the 2010 U.S. Census is under way as workers have begun verifying the addresses of households across the country. Eventually, more than 140,000 U.S. Census workers will count every person in the United States and will gather information about every person living at each address including name, age, gender, race, and other relevant data.

The big question is - how do you tell the difference between a U.S. Census worker and a con artist? BBB offers the following advice:

** If a U.S. Census worker knocks on your door, they will have a badge, a handheld device, a Census Bureau canvas bag, and a confidentiality notice. Ask to see their identification and their badge before answering their questions.  However, you should never invite anyone you don't know into your home.

** Census workers are currently only knocking on doors to verify address information.  Do not give your Social Security number, credit card or banking information to anyone, even if they claim they need it for the U.S. > Census. REMEMBER, NO MATTER WHAT THEY ASK, YOU REALLY ONLY NEED TO TELL THEM HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE AT YOUR  ADDRESS.

While the Census Bureau might ask for basic financial information, such as a salary range, YOU DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION.  The Census Bureau will not ask for Social Security, bank account, or credit card numbers, nor will employees solicit donations.  Any one asking for that information is NOT with the Census Bureau.

AND REMEMBER, THE CENSUS BUREAU HAS DECIDED NOT TO WORK WITH ACORN ON GATHERING THIS INFORMATION.  No Acorn worker should approach you saying he/she is with the Census Bureau.

Eventually, Census workers may contact you by telephone, mail, or in person at home. However, the Census Bureau will not contact you by Email, so be on the lookout for Email scams impersonating the Census.

Never click on a link or open any attachments in an Email that  are supposedly from the U.S. Census Bureau.

For more advice on avoiding identity theft and fraud, visit www.bbb.org

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:36:45 pm »

Amen Nitwit! I'm tired of hearing the illegals just pick our tomatoes. What part of illegal does our gov't.not understand? I don't hate any race or peoples but illegal means just that. I have lost a lot of respect for the police over this issue.

As far as the census goes I'll do the same thing I did ten years ago. I even have a newer shredder!
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »

If you don't cooperate with answering all questions, does that mean you're taking leave of your census? Grin  (And isn't there a penalty for that?!)

Thanks for posting that information, Nit.   
From the government site: 
By being counted you are standing up for what your community's needs are.   That's why census takers are so important.   A census taker is a person from your community who is hired by the Census Bureau to make sure that your neighborhood gets represented as accurately as possible.   The census taker's primary responsibility is to collect census information from residences that have not sent back their 2010 Census form.

* The Census Bureau provides the census taker with a binder containing all of the addresses that didn't send back a filled out census form
    * The census taker then visits all of those addresses and records the answers to the questions on the form
    * If no one answers at a particular residence, a census taker will visit that home up to three times, each time leaving a door hanger featuring a phone number; residents can call the number on the hanger to schedule the visit

The census taker will ONLY ask the questions that appear on the census form.

Do I have to talk to the census taker?

Yes. Your participation in the 2010 Census is vital and required by law, (Section 221, of Title 13 of the U.S. Code). However, rather than rely on criminal charges, the Census Bureau is very successful in getting participation by explaining the importance of the questions we ask and how the information benefits our communities.

Your privacy and confidentiality is our priority:

The census taker who collects your information is sworn for life to protect your data under Federal Law Title 13. Those who violate the oath face criminal penalties: Under federal law, the penalty for unlawful disclosure is a fine of up to $250,000 or imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both.

More (much more!) at http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/census-taker.php
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:44:58 pm »

There were some census taken in the later part of the 1700's. They have been invaluable to those doing genealogy.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:58:32 pm »

If you don't cooperate with answering all questions, does that mean you're taking leave of your census? Grin  (And isn't there a penalty for that?!)

Thanks for posting that information, Nit.   
From the government site: 
By being counted you are standing up for what your community's needs are.   That's why census takers are so important.   A census taker is a person from your community who is hired by the Census Bureau to make sure that your neighborhood gets represented as accurately as possible.   The census taker's primary responsibility is to collect census information from residences that have not sent back their 2010 Census form.

* The Census Bureau provides the census taker with a binder containing all of the addresses that didn't send back a filled out census form
    * The census taker then visits all of those addresses and records the answers to the questions on the form
    * If no one answers at a particular residence, a census taker will visit that home up to three times, each time leaving a door hanger featuring a phone number; residents can call the number on the hanger to schedule the visit

The census taker will ONLY ask the questions that appear on the census form.

Do I have to talk to the census taker?

Yes. Your participation in the 2010 Census is vital and required by law, (Section 221, of Title 13 of the U.S. Code). However, rather than rely on criminal charges, the Census Bureau is very successful in getting participation by explaining the importance of the questions we ask and how the information benefits our communities.

Your privacy and confidentiality is our priority:

The census taker who collects your information is sworn for life to protect your data under Federal Law Title 13. Those who violate the oath face criminal penalties: Under federal law, the penalty for unlawful disclosure is a fine of up to $250,000 or imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both.

More (much more!) at http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/census-taker.php

My understanding is their is a penalty for being in the country illegally. I'm scared! Haven't taken leave of my census,I've come to them!
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 05:14:21 pm »

I'd have no problem with just giving my name and the number of people living in my home.  It's all of the other questions, such as 'Do I have a gas or electric oven?,' 'Do I have indoor plumbing?', etc.  What do all of those other questions have to do with re-districting?
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:37:14 pm »

I'd have no problem with just giving my name and the number of people living in my home.  It's all of the other questions, such as 'Do I have a gas or electric oven?,' 'Do I have indoor plumbing?', etc.  What do all of those other questions have to do with re-districting?
It's because there is more involved with the Census than re-districting. It gives the Government an opportunity to take a 'peek' into the every day activities of Americans. What kind of job you have and the type of education you have. This is how the Government can add statistics to the area in which you live. Somebody living in Arkansas getting transfer papers to northern Illinois. This person can Google the city or town and get any or all the information they would need. Not that they don't have that available now but you would be surprised. This Country has changed alot in 10 years. Every 10 years people gripe and complain because they are required to fill out this useless 'survey'. It may seem to be a senseless question, but to the larger picture it is valuable information to someone.
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
Chazzy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:14 pm »

Its invasion of privacy, they want to ask all those guestions. that has nothing to do with a head count...and besides Danville has been declining  , even counting the prisoners from Chicago..I will tell them how many in my household, all they need to know.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum