Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 03:26:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Fraud, Friendship, Money....What do you think?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Fraud, Friendship, Money....What do you think?  (Read 1119 times)
Pretender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 05:53:50 pm »

The police are aware of this. I had contacted the investigative unit (Sgt. Campbell) of the DPD. I, also, had contacted CRIS (Rodger) about this regarding financial elderly abuse as I believe the person I know is over 60. I haven't loaned but $235 (which is not a small chunk) to the person that may be getting screwed in this situation, but he may have lost thousands if this doesn't get resolved. I can't say that this is a scam with 100% certainty, but I had red flags going up within two days after I became aware of it. Payment scheduled for tomorrow according to my acquaintance. I hope this is all a big misunderstanding as I've heard comments like, "My life is over." and "I might as well be dead." as well as other negative ones. The authorities have a bunch of information that I've provided them. It's difficult to prevent anything bad from happening when you're a third party that's really concerned, but the authorities can't act on concern. We'll see.

Happy Holidays!
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 09:47:16 am »

I've been waiting to say anything but I'm sure this is a scam. It's just a variation of the "advance-fee" fraud.

"An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain". Source Wiki

Your friend was convinced by a con artist that he would be receiving thousands of dollars for loaning a just a few hundred. He was tricked and he shouldn't have dragged you into it....but it's good you've alerted the police to all this.

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 05:31:04 pm »

I'm unsure if this is a "give me a little and you'll get a lot more back" scheme. Sounds like this person wanted to help out someone he knew from what information I have. I just spoke with him and no payment came about today. The guy is telling him that the person at the U of I CU said the money would be available the first day after Christmas. I guess the guy is trying to now say the first business day after Christmas because now he's saying Monday. I asked the person I know if he was ready yet to file charges against this guy. He said that if something doesn't happen Monday then he will be talking more with the authorities. I'd like to have a one on one with this guy (I'd take him on even if I am in a wheelchair) in Urbana because I despise this type of stuff if it turns out to really be a scam.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Bingo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 07:53:23 pm »

The police are aware of this. I had contacted the investigative unit (Sgt. Campbell) of the DPD. I, also, had contacted CRIS (Rodger) about this regarding financial elderly abuse as I believe the person I know is over 60. I haven't loaned but $235 (which is not a small chunk) to the person that may be getting screwed in this situation, but he may have lost thousands if this doesn't get resolved. I can't say that this is a scam with 100% certainty, but I had red flags going up within two days after I became aware of it. Payment scheduled for tomorrow according to my acquaintance. I hope this is all a big misunderstanding as I've heard comments like, "My life is over." and "I might as well be dead." as well as other negative ones. The authorities have a bunch of information that I've provided them. It's difficult to prevent anything bad from happening when you're a third party that's really concerned, but the authorities can't act on concern. We'll see.

Happy Holidays!

I hope your friend will be okay having lost that much money.  I don't think you or him will see your money again but I hope I am proven wrong.  Usually there would be no reason why a person would need to borrow money to receive a settlement.  That kind of award, the atty takes his cut ouf of the settlement and there is no money expended in advance to collect.   It seems as though it is more than a friend's concern going on here. Your acquaintance and the people he know have given money to a person who wasn't truthful to them. Did he walk in their house and steal the money from under the mattress? But he has their money just the same.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »

The person I know signed an IOU and he's been in Danville for many years if not his whole life. My loan to him is merely a drop in the bucket compared to what he's told me this guy has gotten in total from him as well as others. I didn't know much about what was going on until I was asked a third time (the third day actually) for more money. Started out at $135, next day $100, the third day I was asked for another $160 and put a stop to it as the third day (Thursday 12/10) was the day that I was promised repayment. That's when my gut told me that something was amiss (or amister I guess to stay politically correct).
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
kdi307

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 11:51:02 am »

pretender   have you heard anything today from so called friend or the bank/credit union  just curious.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 05:38:19 pm »

Just got a call and money wasn't available today. Suppose to now be available tomorrow. This is a recording lol.

The guy I know says that he's suppose to pick up the guy in Urbana in the morning at 10am and they're to go to the U of I CU for the final intermediate almost last transfer of funds.

NEWS BULLETIN: U of I Credit Union will not be available to conduct business on 12/29/09 as they have four flat tires and are stuck in Limbo, USA! They have been tolled to Excuse, USA for repairs. Repairs are expected to take infinity to accomplish. Stay tuned for further BS as it becomes unavailable.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 06:46:31 pm »

Well....at least you're not letting it get you down.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Bingo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 06:50:45 pm »

I truly hope your friend presses charges immediately.  A settlement award would almost surely be mailed by an attorney. Why would anyone need a large sum of money to get a settlement? The attorney is paid AFTER the award has been decided upon. The attorney gets the money, takes his cut, and sends the remainder of the funds, by check, to the person getting the settlement. Hopefully this person who has surely scammed your friend is not trying to get out of Dodge before he is caught.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 07:38:28 pm »

Well....at least you're not letting it get you down.  Grin

I'm more concerned about the person I know as he has made too many comments that lean towards suicide. Of course, if he ends up being a perp rather than a victim then he won't be inclined to harm himself and others will seek justice against him.

I initially thought this to be of the Nigerian type scam that you posted about and it may end up that way. Greed has corrupted our society and others tremendously.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 07:43:06 pm »

I truly hope your friend presses charges immediately.  A settlement award would almost surely be mailed by an attorney. Why would anyone need a large sum of money to get a settlement? The attorney is paid AFTER the award has been decided upon. The attorney gets the money, takes his cut, and sends the remainder of the funds, by check, to the person getting the settlement. Hopefully this person who has surely scammed your friend is not trying to get out of Dodge before he is caught.

I couldn't agree more and I attempted to alert the authorities today of the possibility. Not sure if they are able to do anything from a preventive stance. I didn't push my acquaintance on filing a complaint or charges as he said he'd do if nothing was remedied today, but will do so tomorrow if this situation isn't dealt with.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Bingo

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »

Just a thought Pretender. You know i don't know your friend so I have no right to make assumptions about him. That said, the thought just occurred to me, when you said, IF he winds up being the perp and not a victim. Do you suspect at all that he made up the story about the person he is giving money to? That he was short of Christmas money and went to nice people like you and told them the story about the settlement to get a few bucks and some sympathy?  Doesn't make sense he wouldn't be calling the police, the FBI, the CU, the govenor -- if I kept getting those stories from someone promising to pay me back more than $1,000,  I would have a full day of making phone calls.
Report Spam   Logged
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:52 am »

Just a thought Pretender. You know i don't know your friend so I have no right to make assumptions about him. That said, the thought just occurred to me, when you said, IF he winds up being the perp and not a victim. Do you suspect at all that he made up the story about the person he is giving money to? That he was short of Christmas money and went to nice people like you and told them the story about the settlement to get a few bucks and some sympathy?  Doesn't make sense he wouldn't be calling the police, the FBI, the CU, the govenor -- if I kept getting those stories from someone promising to pay me back more than $1,000,  I would have a full day of making phone calls.

I called the Lincoln Lodge to confirm that Eric Hughes was there and found out that he is staying in room 19. I, also, have spoken with Hughes during a 3-way phone conversation so it appears that there may be a Eric Hughes involved in this, but nothing is written in rock. I do know (from what Mel - the acquaintance of mine) has told me that he had to file bankruptcy in 2007 or so and, also, that Capitol One Bank filed charges against him at one time due to non-payment of some sort. Looking forward to further developments.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 06:25:48 pm »

Spoke with Mel a few minutes ago. He didn't get repayment today as expected. Now it's suppose to be Thursday. I told Mel that I will file a small claims case against him if he does not contact the authorities tomorrow. He said that he would see what he can do and will call me tomorrow. I didn't even ask Mel what the excuse was today. This has gone on long enough. I would like to post Mel's name here and provide more info on the guy in Urbana. I have Mel's address and phone number and I have the guy's location and name. The authorities have this information also as I have given it to them. I asked Mel how many people he wanted to suffer that the guy has taken apparent advantage of. How many Christmas presents weren't able to be purchased because of money that had been given to the idiot. How many wouldn't look forward to the New Year because someone has scammed them. What do some people need to wake them up? A brick up side the head? Geeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Report Spam   Logged

Bob
Pretender

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »

Mel contacted the authorities today and, also, signed a Release of Information form allowing me access to information on the investigation. I told Mel that I was going to pursue filing formal charges/complaints against him unless he took action today. I told him that I expect to be paid tomorrow or that I would pursue legal action against him. I am suppose to be paid at 1pm tomorrow. The investigation of the case will continue though. He's sure got himself into a mess here and I'm hoping it turns out that he's a victim rather than an active participant should this be revealed as a fraud scam.
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum