Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 07:42:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

GLOBAL WARMING

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: GLOBAL WARMING  (Read 518 times)
techguy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 03:18:25 pm »

All these changes have happened before eons ago, the only difference is, now the earth is filled with billions of people and those people are in harms way.......think about it.  We all need to be conscience of what we are doing, both to the earth where we live  and the people in it........  We use and abuse this earth of ours as if it will last forever..................................it won't!   I won't be around to see it run out but that doesn't mean I want my kids and grandkids to suffer.  What is funny to me is that the same people who complain about the national debt being a burden to their children, don't care about what the changes in the earth will do to them.   You can't see the big picture sitting inside the frame.

Amen.
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 06:13:52 am »

The seas are already rising, both from thermal expansion and ice melt. You can argue about the cause all you want, but it's already a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_sea_level_rise

http://www.app.com/article/20100115/NEWS/1150366/Rising-sea-level-bringing-change-to-coastal-life

Climate scientists withdraw journal claims of rising sea levels

Study claimed in 2009 that sea levels would rise by up to 82cm by the end of century – but the report's author now says true estimate is still unknown

• Read the full story of the hacked climate emails

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/21/sea-level-geoscience-retract-siddall
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
techguy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:11 am »

The seas are already rising, both from thermal expansion and ice melt. You can argue about the cause all you want, but it's already a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_sea_level_rise

http://www.app.com/article/20100115/NEWS/1150366/Rising-sea-level-bringing-change-to-coastal-life

Climate scientists withdraw journal claims of rising sea levels

Study claimed in 2009 that sea levels would rise by up to 82cm by the end of century – but the report's author now says true estimate is still unknown

• Read the full story of the hacked climate emails

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/feb/21/sea-level-geoscience-retract-siddall
And? What's the point? One article in one journal is retracted? This happens all the time in science. They made errors, they retracted.
Also in the article...
Many scientists criticised the IPCC approach as too conservative, and several papers since have suggested that sea level could rise more. Martin Vermeer of the Helsinki University of Technology, Finland and Stefan Rahmstorf of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany published a study in December that projected a rise of 0.75m to 1.9m by 2100.
And besides that, I wasn't talking about future sea levels anyway. Today, sea levels have risen. It's already happening. We can argue about why all we want.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 11:46:00 am »

We might have even worse problems.

Ooops...wrong video. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:57:13 am by DejaVu » Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »

techguy, are you aware of the 'hacked emails' mentioned in the article that I linked to?

What's your 'take' on that issue?

Pole Shift?  Tsk, tsk...That would've made a good thread topic.
Report Spam   Logged

techguy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:13 pm »

techguy, are you aware of the 'hacked emails' mentioned in the article that I linked to?

What's your 'take' on that issue?

Pole Shift?  Tsk, tsk...That would've made a good thread topic.
Meh. So some hackers caught scientists being human - arguing, blaming, and generally crying about folks not accepting the science.
Certainly that must mean that global warming is a myth. 
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:26 pm »

Some quotes of the hacked emails:

"I've just completed Mike's Nature [the science journal] trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie, from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

Critics cite this as evidence that data was manipulated to mask the fact that global temperatures are falling. Prof Jones claims the meaning of "trick" has been misinterpreted.

From Phil Jones To: Michael Mann (Pennsylvania State University). July 8, 2004
"I can't see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow — even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!"

The IPCC is the UN body charged with monitoring climate change. The scientists did not want it to consider studies that challenge the view that global warming is genuine and man-made.

From: Kevin Trenberth (US National Center for Atmospheric Research). To: Michael Mann. Oct 12, 2009
"The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't... Our observing system is inadequate"

Prof Trenberth appears to accept a key argument of global warming sceptics - that there is no evidence temperatures have increased over the past 10 years.

“I will be emailing the journal to tell them I’m having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor.”

Prof Jones appears to be lobbying for the dismissal of the editor of Climate Research, a scientific journal that published papers downplaying climate change.

From Phil Jones. To: Michael Mann. Date: May 29, 2008
"Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4? Keith will do likewise."

Climate change sceptics tried to use Freedom of Information laws to obtain raw climate data submitted to an IPCC report known as AR4. The scientists did not want their email exchanges about the data to be made public.

From: Michael Mann. To: Phil Jones and Gabi Hegerl (University of Edinburgh). Date: Aug 10, 2004
"Phil and I are likely to have to respond to more crap criticisms from the idiots in the near future."

The scientists make no attempt to hide their disdain for climate change sceptics who request more information about their work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/globalwarming/6636563/University-of-East-Anglia-emails-the-most-contentious-quotes.html

Considering that where I am now used to be under a mile high glacier, I do believe that that the earth has warmed since that time.  The 'cause' of that warming is what I believe the Church of Climatology is wrong about.  I believe that the sun and it's solar cycles determine the cycles of global warming and cooling, not CO2.
Report Spam   Logged

techguy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 08:54:37 am »

Still : meh.
You're talking about a really small subset of climate scientists here. And I haven't seen a case where someone said "You publish this and I'll publish this and we'll fool everyone! Ah hahahha!" Plus,  what we're looking at is email cherry-picked to attempt to bolster one side of an argument. Where is ALL of the email that was obtained in the hack? Has each email been verified as having actually been sent? I know some have, and some have not.
I certainly agree that climate change is cyclical. We have the evidence to prove that. However, we also have the evidence today that we are in the midst of a climate swing that is outside what can be considered the 'normal' cycles given past evidence. Today. Not a prediction about the future. Today. Seas are rising today. Polar regions are melting today. Sooner than would have been expected in normal cycles.
Not caused by CO2? Hope you're right.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:58:27 am by techguy » Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »

However, we also have the evidence today that we are in the midst of a climate swing that is outside what can be considered the 'normal' cycles given past evidence. Today. Not a prediction about the future. Today. Seas are rising today. Polar regions are melting today. Sooner than would have been expected in normal cycles.

I would have to agree pretty much with what you're saying here. Something very much is going on out of the norm. From what I've been reading around the net, this pole shift business, plus some kind of planetary alignment going on....there seems to be something to it. AND...if you happen to believe in psychics then we really might be in for major upheavals in the US.

Here's a map showing what earth changes will look like by a psychic named G.M. Scallion....I never heard of him before.

and here's a map of what it will look like after a planetary shift by Edgar Cayce....most people have heard of him. He was quite a remarkable guy and many of his predictions were on the money and came to be long after he had passed away.

Looking at the first map, we in the Danville area might have a chance of survival....not sure about Cayce's map. I can't really tell.

I guess if it happens it happens.  Undecided

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
ann

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:30 pm »

If that were to happen it looks like we could have some water front property. 
Report Spam   Logged

Equal Opportunity does not mean Equal Achievement
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 11:33:48 am »

Yeah...I would definitely take water front property rather than underwater property that's for sure!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum