Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 05:41:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Furlough Days taken for the U of I ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Furlough Days taken for the U of I ?  (Read 382 times)
Lea

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:13:43 pm »

How does anyone feel about furlough days that the U of I is implementing?  Fair/Not Fair?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jake Blues

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:55:20 pm »

How does anyone feel about furlough days that the U of I is implementing?  Fair/Not Fair?

Have not heard of this. How many days are they doing it? I would say furlough days would be better than unemployed days.
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »

Have not heard of this. How many days are they doing it? I would say furlough days would be better than unemployed days.

That is true, but it still really hurts the bottom line, the take home pay..
Report Spam   Logged
Lea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:42:50 pm »

It's my understanding that is 4 days, that need to be taken by June??
Report Spam   Logged
kdi307

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »

why not make the president,provost and other top administrators take a pay cut and save millions they all make $200,000 or more a year come on folks that kind of pay is ridiculious. Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Bingo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 08:09:17 pm »

I would rather take four furlough days than be unemployed. That said, the State has to get its act together and figure out what is worth paying for.  The University has been a respected institution for many years. Besides the undergrad and graduate programs, it is awarded research $$ and grants. Engineering, Agricultural, Vetinary and Accounting programs, among others, have been well known world wide. Since the State of Illinois is in arrears to the University for more than Four Hundred MILLION dollars, it makes me wonder whether the lawmakers in the state are trying to water down the reputation for getting an excellent education at the University of Illinois? How can the school compete with other universities for $$$ when it isn't getting the money from the state?  How do you keep good staff when you can't pay them a competitive wage? When you tell them you won't pay them for four days? Hopefully those days aren't required to be taken consecutively, not many people could make it on one days' pay.
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:20:01 pm »

I've had two fellow employees that were being well paid, by Danville's standards anyway, quit their jobs when they had the opportunity to be employed at the U of I, doing the exact same thing for almost twice the pay, and of course the benefits were higher too.

The State has to get their act together and figure out what is worth paying for?  Sure,..right on.  But we have to ask ourselves the same thing about every government entity that our tax dollars supports.  In the case mentioned above, I'm glad, in a way, that my ex-fellow employees were able to 'take advantage' of the opportunity.  On the other hand, I understand that my taxes pay for their higher wages.

The County's Health Department is being forced to downsize due to 'insufficient funds' that were promised them by the State.  I noticed one article on this topic reported that one of the services being eliminated had been in existence for ten years.  My question is, was this department not necessarily 'needed' eleven years ago?  Was it one of those services that were 'nice to have?'  Is CRIS is another example of sacrificing what we 'want' to save what we 'need?'

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there is plenty of government waste, fraud, and abuse, in probably all taxing bodies, and plenty of corrupt politicians that enable that.  Was it T. Jefferson that said, 'That government which governs the least, governs the best?'  

As the economy continues to deteriorate, I've got a feeling that all government entities are going to be 'governing' less and less...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Bingo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 10:35:37 pm »

I agree that line items have to be examined. I hate the spending, and the dirty tricks and bribes perpetuated by our governments.  I would like to see CRIS remain in operation,  but at a reduced level of spending. Services for seniors would take priority if I was in charge, rather than cash grants for people who could work if they would choose to do so.

I received the renewal for my car registration. $100!!  I told my husband I wish the state had helped more with getting public transportation in place before they priced owning an auto out of reach for many state residents.

My employer is dependent upon the state for much of its funding. We have scrambled to secure other funding sources. Still, most of our operation is with the blessing of the state. We havent had salary increases in two years, our benefit package is a skeleton of its former self, and many of us were laid off over the summer. 90 employees state wide. Still, I believe there is a way to do more with less.  When I show up for work and a homeless 16 yr old kid is sitting in the rain outside the door, asking for help, I want there to be funding to help the kid find a safe place to stay and a warm meal.  Its a catch 22, being a taxpayer in the flesh and a social worker in the heart.

Furloughs for U of I employees is a band aid and there will be lots more surgery before fy11 budgets are signed. A budget without cash behind is means what?
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 10:56:59 pm »

Check this out...

I'm on Devvy Kidd's email list and today she sent out one stating (in part):

This morning on FOX News they had a segment on Obama welfare cell phones. That universal tax you see on your phone bill is helping to fund the $1 BILLION dollar tab to provide "free" cell phones to welfare recipients along with 70 free minutes per month. I was writing fast, but I believe that's the numbers.

IMHO, CRIS definitely takes precedence over free cell phones for those on welfare.  I mean, c'mon...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Bingo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 08:39:26 am »

No argument here. I diagreed with one of my daughters about the cell phones. She said she allows clients to use her work cell to make doctor's appts and the phones will be useful for those calls.  She must think I am NEW.  I told her those girls aren't going to save those minutes to make their kids' doctor appointments.  I agree with you Buzz, the phones are ridiculous and the company running the show, accepting the applications,  it is in the Pacific Northwest.  What does that have to do with Illinois DPA?

I apologize for straying from the topic line but I believe our posts tie in with the reasons behind the furlough days.....
Report Spam   Logged
music man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:41:03 pm »

Buzz,

Good post! Just when I think I've seen it all. I truly believed no president could be worse than George Bush. Was I ever wrong. Obama has truly given me change I can believe in. By the time he is done "change" is all I will have in my pocket!

Time to get in line for a free cell phone. Oops I'm not on welfare. At the rate the gov't is spending the whole country will be on welfare. Wonder if I can send the city a "IOU" for my taxes? No wonder the "Tea Party" movement is growing.
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:41:30 am »

Continuing to stray with the off-topic of subsidized cell phones here, I'm surprised there's not been more indignation about facts below (although Bingo hit on the "remoteness" of the company).  Maybe it's just not well-known that:

Those cell phones are, in part, from SafeLink, a subsidiary of TracFone, controlled by the MEXICAN conglomerate America Movil, and thus, are pouring in pesos for the world's richest man, Mexican wheeler-dealer Carlos Slim.  (Gives whole new meaning to both "Slim pickins" and the "'UNIVERSAL' Service Fund"!  Undecided)

Slim, 70, has amassed a fortune of $53.5 billion, beating Microsoft founder Bill Gates to top the list of the world's richest people, according to a new ranking published by Forbes magazine.  

His far-flung business empire includes some of Mexico's best-known department stores, its biggest telecoms operator, hotels, restaurants, oil drilling, building firms and Inbursa bank (GFINBURO.MX) -- making it hard to go a day in Mexico without paying him some money.

Outside Mexico Slim has holdings in such prestigious groups as retailer Saks (SKS.N) and New York Times Co (NYT.N).  

His defining foray occurred in 1990 when he and his partners bought creaking state telephone company Telmex (TELMEXL.MX) for $1.7 billion. Turning it into a cash-making jewel, he spun off America Movil (AMXL.MX) and expanded it through acquisitions to become the world's No. 4 wireless operator.
More about Mr. Slim with the Fat wallet at http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1014726920100310?feedType=RSS&feedName=mergersNews&rpc=22&sp=true  

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/print/s/04112009/31/link-f-prnewswire-tracfone-wireless-launches-safelink-wireless-r-aid-378.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TracFone_Wireless

Note:  Those phones should not be called "Obama phones" however, as various forms of "help" for phone service have been around since the Progressive Era some hundred years ago!  
(Yes, phones have been around that long, thanks to Alexander Graham B. in 1876, but of course no cell phone; otherwise it might be called the Ma Bell-Cell. Grin )

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/oct/28/chain-email/chain-e-mail-claims-obama-handing-out-free-cell-ph/  
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:39 am »

Thank you Winston for setting the record straight....... Wink  I have missed your wit as well as your willingness to dig for the truth.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:15 am »

Here's an idea that might not be as far-fetched as it sounds....lets teach all those people in Low-Income Households to reactivate their metal telepathy and they won't need subsidized wireless communication ever again! It is said that everyone has this ability, that we've just forgotten how to use it.  Grin

Cellphones are wireless communication devices that function on microwaves, while
human mental telepathy uses brainwaves for wireless communication.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 11:51:54 am »

...lets teach all those people in Low-Income Households to reactivate their metal telepathy and they won't need subsidized wireless communication ever again! It is said that everyone has this ability, that we've just forgotten how to use it.   Grin

Cellphones are wireless communication devices that function on microwaves, while human mental telepathy uses brainwaves for wireless communication.

"Metal telepathy"?  What if they have no fillings or piercings and can't get a signal?  Cheesy  (Ok, ok.  I now KNOW what you're thinking! Sorry, couldn't resist...  Grin)

Heck, judging by what goes on in the world today (even at UI with their "Unofficial" higher education Roll Eyes ), I don't know if it's possible to TEACH any human to reactivate ANY sort of brainwaves!    (But who cares?, gimme more green beer... brain's on furlough...)   Undecided   Whoa, really straying off-topic now... or maybe not...

(Thanks GA.  Maybe the wit signal's from local WITY radio ... but I don't actually listen to it, either the station or myself.  Wink )
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum