Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 06:49:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Acer founder: U.S. computer industry dead in 20 years

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Acer founder: U.S. computer industry dead in 20 years  (Read 174 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »

Acer founder: U.S. computer industry dead in 20 years
Jan 20 2010

We here at The Tech Herald dearly love the U.S. computer sector and are loathed to be the harbingers of doom regarding its possible demise at the hands of other, more market-savvy regions of the industry… but that’s exactly what this news story suggests.

Moreover, the Taiwanese founder of computer manufacturing heavyweight Acer Inc., has prophesised that U.S. computer makers could be an extinct breed by 2030 due to their apparent lack of understanding in the hardware marketplace.

“The trend for low-priced computers will last for the coming years,” said Stan Shih, founder of Taipei-based Acer, in a Commercial Times newspaper report covered by AFP.

“But US computer makers just don’t know how to put such products on the market,” he added. “US computer brands may disappear over the next 20 years, just like what happened to US television brands.”

While 20 years is certainly a long time, giving the likes of Dell Inc., Hewlett-Packard Company (HP), and perhaps even Apple Inc., a sizeable window of opportunity with which to avoid this impending doom, Acer’s own momentum is certainly not to be sniffed at.

Specifically, market figures for 2009 saw Acer topple Texas-based Dell to become the world’s second largest computer vendor behind current frontrunner California-based Hewlett-Packard – a position technology magazine DigiTimes believes will belong to Acer by 2011.

Link: http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/201003/5115/Acer-founder-U-S-computer-industry-dead-in-20-years#ixzz0dBe5B3bn

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:22:20 pm »

I wonder how Consumer Repoerts rates their desktops and laptop computers ?
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »

I have a Gateway desktop that I use most of the time...but I got this one a few months ago for under $300.00 It's small but very portable and it has 4 USB ports.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:36:21 pm »

I found it, the 12/09 issue of Consumer Reports.  Here's there rating for FULL SIZE DESKTOPS :

#1 and #2 - HP
#3 and #4 - Gateway
 Acer did not make the top 15.
Best buy was #8 Compac @ $360.

Here's the ratings for LAPTOPS - 14 - 16":

#1 Apple
#2 Sony
 Acer rated #14
Best Buy was rated as Dell Inspiron I1545-012B @ $400.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum