Vermilion Voice
April 18, 2024, 04:07:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

2010 Obama's State of the Union address

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Obama's State of the Union address  (Read 131 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:20 pm »

I don't know if anyone will be watching tonight...I wasn't going to but seems there's been some internet chatter about the extra medical preparations for tonight and some people just aren't sure what's going on. Does seem a little strange....http://ccrf.hhs.gov/ccrf/Missions/SOTU.htm  Huh Huh Huh

The U.S. Capitol Police and the Office of the Attending Physician, through the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR), Office of Preparedness and Emergency Response, has asked the Office of Force Readiness and Deployment (OFRD) to roster medical strike teams of physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and registered nurses to provide Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support during the 2010 State of the Union Address in Washington, DC.  Capital Area Provider Team #4 will be working this event but we plan to augment their team with additional assets from Tier III Roster D.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »

January 27, 2010

Excerpts of Obama's State of the Union address

The following excerpts of President Barack Obama's first State of the Union address to Congress were released tonight by the White House.

We face big and difficult challenges. And what the American people hope – what they deserve – is for all of us, Democrats and Republicans, to work through our differences; to overcome the numbing weight of our politics. For while the people who sent us here have different backgrounds and different stories and different beliefs, the anxieties they face are the same. The aspirations they hold are shared. A job that pays the bill. A chance to get ahead. Most of all, the ability to give their children a better life....

You know what else they share? They share a stubborn resilience in the face of adversity. After one of the most difficult years in our history, they remain busy building cars and teaching kids; starting businesses and going back to school. They are coaching little league and helping their neighbors. As one woman wrote to me, “We are strained but hopeful, struggling but encouraged.”

It is because of this spirit – this great decency and great strength – that I have never been more hopeful about America’s future than I am tonight. Despite our hardships, our union is strong. We do not give up. We do not quit. We don’t allow fear or division to break our spirit. In this new decade, it’s time the American people get a government that matches their decency; that embodies their strength. And tonight, I’d like to talk about how together, we can deliver on that promise...

By the time I’m finished speaking tonight, more Americans will have lost their health insurance. Millions will lose it this year. Our deficit will grow. Premiums will go up. Co-pays will go up. Patients will be denied the care they need. Small business owners will continue to drop coverage altogether. I will not walk away from these Americans. And neither should the people in this chamber...

Rather than fight the same tired battles that have dominated Washington for decades, it’s time for something new. Let’s try common sense. Let’s invest in our people without leaving them a mountain of debt. Let’s meet our responsibility to the people who sent us here....

To do that, we have to recognize that we face more than a deficit of dollars right now. We face a deficit of trust – deep and corrosive doubts about how Washington works that have been growing for years. To close that credibility gap we must take action on both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue to end the outsized influence of lobbyists; to do our work openly; and to give our people the government they deserve....

That’s what I came to Washington to do. That’s why – for the first time in history – my Administration posts our White House visitors online. And that’s why we’ve excluded lobbyists from policy-making jobs or seats on federal boards and commissions....

But we cannot stop there. It’s time to require lobbyists to disclose each contact they make on behalf of a client with my Administration or Congress. And it’s time to put strict limits on the contributions that lobbyists give to candidates for federal office. Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign companies – to spend without limit in our elections. Well I don’t think American elections should be bankrolled by America’s most powerful interests, and worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that’s why I’m urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong...

I’m also calling on Congress to continue down the path of earmark reform. You have trimmed some of this spending and embraced some meaningful change. But restoring the public trust demands more. For example, some members of Congress post some earmark requests online. Tonight, I’m calling on Congress to publish all earmark requests on a single website before there’s a vote so that the American people can see how their money is being spent...

Source: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100127/NEWS15/100127072/-1/rss07&template=fullarticle
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:13 am »

I tried to watch it but I fell asleep.  It's just a speech...  Barky's made a lot of speeches, it's what he does best.

I wanted to watch the 'Repub response speech' as well...

Here's an 'American's response'...

The State of the Nation: I am afraid

http://www.augustforecast.com/2010/01/27/the-state-of-the-nation/
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:07:02 am »

<snip>

Finally, I have never seen a country more spiritually beaten down than the United States. We have lost our moral compass. A growing number of our young people now see no meaning or purpose in life. And we no longer have a sense of right and wrong or a way to hold the government accountable. We have forgotten that the essential premise of the American governmental scheme, as set forth in the Declaration of Independence, is that if the gov­ernment will not be accountable to the people, then it must certainly be accountable to the “Creator.”

But what if the government is not accountable to the people or the Creator?

As Thomas Jefferson writes in the Declaration, it is then the right of “the People to alter or abolish it” and form a new government.

Any ideas on how we get the government abolished?
Report Spam   Logged

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:32:29 am »

I just wish Obama would shut up for a while.  Every time he opens his big trap, retirees lose money in their 401K plans.  Look at the market today, a result of his big speech last night.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:22:37 pm »

Well...if you depend on the stock market to pump up your 401k...you probably get what you deserve.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:02:25 pm »

You know, not everybody works for the government or some union where they receive a guaranteed pension plan.  Those that don't must rely on their investments and the income that they receive from those investments to get them thru their retirement years.  So, you might not want to be so cavalier when you say that they get what they deserve. You may be supporting them someday.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:04:02 pm by Terry » Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:22:24 pm »

It's true...I don't know much about the stock market, but from what I do understand, it's gambling. It's your choice and there's always the chance of losing. Seems like it's a lot safer to put your money in certain types of savings accounts and draw the interest on it...but what do I know.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:02:45 pm »

Oh yeah, Jon "gets it".........

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/28/jon-stewart-warns-dems-re_n_440050.html  

Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum