Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 11:18:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Bunge

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bunge  (Read 352 times)
marigoldhead

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:45:05 am »

Ok folks.. lets just slap us again when we are already down.  You would think they would have at least had the courtesy to tell the employees what was going on.  How much more loss can we take?  I know things are tough for us right now.  My prayers go out to the families of the employees that are getting laid off.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:50:23 am »

Did Bunge used to be called something else?
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

It used to be called Lauhoff Grain
Report Spam   Logged
Hhop

View Profile WWW
Signature Webmaster Level 3
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:47:04 pm »

Yes, Tuck is correct. It used to be Lauhoff Grain Company. I have worked there for 32 years and will lose my job on April 23. We had a meeting yesterday morning and then had individual interviews where we were notified if we were being retained or released.

It has been a good place to be employed overall, but of course no one is ever ready for this current situation.
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:18:57 pm »

It used to be called Lauhoff Grain

Ok...I'd never heard of Bunge but then I lived away from Danville for about 20 years. I figured it must have been a place I knew that changed names. Thanks Tuck!
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »

Yes, Tuck is correct. It used to be Lauhoff Grain Company. I have worked there for 32 years and will lose my job on April 23. We had a meeting yesterday morning and then had individual interviews where we were notified if we were being retained or released.

It has been a good place to be employed overall, but of course no one is ever ready for this current situation.

Gosh Hhop....that's a shame. What's the situation, are they shutting down, selling out or just temporarily laying people off? Do you know how many are losing their jobs?
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:12 pm »

I've already posted my opinion when I broke this 'news' in the 'Breaking News' section...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:28:16 am »

I see this as no problem for our mayor & aldermen. They will simply add more taxes to those of us who are left. It is time to toss all of these "Fat Cat" politicians out & cut straight to the chase. I truly believe I could take a dozen plain folks from this website & we'd do a better job of running the city.

I have seen no true cost cutting measures from our current city leaders. They only know how to vote yes on new taxes. Fact is most folks are just hanging on as it is.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:30:49 am »

Maybe Hhop or someone else can help me out here because I'm just curious. What is the reason given for closing the soybean-processing operations?
Report Spam   Logged

Hhop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 12:41:48 pm »

The plant is being closed because of an over abundance of soybean processing. While a few years back, the Danville plant was one of the shining stars in the company; it is now older. Bunge has two very large and much newer processing plants in the midwest; at Council Bluffs, Iowa; and at Morristown, Indiana. That makes it difficult, I am told, to be competive against our "sister" plants.

Thirty years ago, I was heavily involved in expanding and upgrading the Danville soybean extraction process; but the equipment now is reaching the end of it's useful life...........apparently just as myself and 99 other employees are.... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

You don't have to stop playing when you get old, but you get old when you stop playing.
granny1

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 01:51:10 pm »

There are some on the Council against raising taxes. They can stand for what they believe, but are sadly outnumbered when it comes to the vote. I just wonder if the President will find these people at Bungee jobs? He claims to be creating jobs, but I think if he would ask the men or women who are looking for jobs, they would say it isn't so.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 02:54:38 pm »

The plant is being closed because of an over abundance of soybean processing. While a few years back, the Danville plant was one of the shining stars in the company; it is now older. Bunge has two very large and much newer processing plants in the midwest; at Council Bluffs, Iowa; and at Morristown, Indiana. That makes it difficult, I am told, to be competive against our "sister" plants.

Thirty years ago, I was heavily involved in expanding and upgrading the Danville soybean extraction process; but the equipment now is reaching the end of it's useful life...........apparently just as myself and 99 other employees are.... Tongue

Ok thanks...that makes sense. I don't think Illinois is reducing the soybean crop so I was wondering why the closing would be necessary

Yes things are changing whether we like it or not...but maybe you have expertise that you might use to cross over into other fields. I job searched last night for around this area and there were quite a few but most require some sort of higher education/skills than high school. The whole system we have today totally screws over the working/middle class. But I'll shut up before I start sounding like some left-wing Marxists.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

marigoldhead

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 06:50:05 am »

This is just another slap in the face for danville.  Im feel so sorry for the employees, especially the ones who have 30 years plus in.  I hope something happens soon to help with our economy in danville.  Im trying to think positive, but its hard to do.  My business is mainly working in champaign county now.  I want to see danville back as it was when I was a kid.  What a great time growing up in the 70s!  My prayers are with the employees and their families.
Report Spam   Logged
Hhop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 09:19:02 pm »

This Friday, April 23, is the last day of employment for about 90 of us at Bunge. A few more are being kept for a few months, but will then also be released.

I am very fortunate, as my last day at Bunge is Friday, and I start a new job on Monday. My new job requires a commute of about 40 miles and I am very excited about a fresh start. I will be working with Biomass Processing, wind farm projects, and possibly solar power projects. Several other of my coworkers also have new jobs that begin soon.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »

Hhop, hopefully the other employees will find new opportunities as you have. Thank you so much for sharing your good news with us....and congratulations!!! If I may ask...how did this wonderful opportunity come about?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum