Vermilion Voice
March 28, 2024, 11:17:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

danville schools

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: danville schools  (Read 477 times)
marigoldhead

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:51:03 am »

I am very upset with the state and our local school district.  How in the world can you cut on teachers in the schools?  What happens when the economy does get better?  We will have students for employers that have no skills in academics.  Its just like krupp right now cant find employees with math skills.  As a employer this is slapping us in the face.  Danville is definatly not the place to have or start a business anymore.  I would cut the salaries of administraters first.  No one in the school district should be making over 80,000.  Cut there first instead of cutting education.  Most of us are already struggling to find skilled workers in our fields, this will only add to the problem.  Stand up and tell the school district how you feel.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

granny1

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:18 pm »

I agree with you Mh. It is just like the Government.  High paying positions being created on how to create jobs instead of using that money to give people jobs. Our President declared while campaigning that he was going to work to promote better education and better teachers. Seems to me like they are missing the boat. with teachers being laid off and Administrators getting higher wages. Scales seemed to be tipped in favor of people sitting in offices instead of good teachers trying to help students. Seems crazy to me. Two of my grand daughters both graduated with high honors with teaching degrees last year. They both took jobs in another sector due to the instability of teaching jobs now.One substitutes because teaching is her first love. I think  the need to employ teachers is more important than being a desk jockey at this time. Cut back on some of the assistants and do their own jobs. But that will never happen. The less education, the more kids on the streets.
Report Spam   Logged
kdi307

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »

I also have said for many years it was time to cut alot of the so called administrators why at dhs do they have a principal,a nd about 5to 7 other administrators with fancy titles ie technologydirector,facilitys director 4 asst.principal  and other administrators i also agree that no administrators like denman,kirk,should be makingover $125,000 a year if they cant make it on say $75,000 to $80,000 a year let them leave.other administrators also make from $80,000 to $110,000 cut their pay also and quit sending administrators to conferences in las vegas and other places on our taxes,if they want to go let them pay for it. also why are administrators out running personal errands on our tax dollars i have seen numeriuos adm. at deluxe during daytime,at walgreens  shopping. i could go on but you should get my thoughts on this . Angry
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:26:13 pm »

Would you also limit teachers salaries to less than what their supervisors (principles, vise-principles, other overhead type positions) make?  How about maintenance personnel?  Should they make less or more than teachers?  Just wondering...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
techguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:56:11 am »

I believe that our district does a good job when it comes to budgets and money management. Let's not forget that we're sitting on a surplus at the moment, and that all of these cuts are due to either pending cuts from the state or lower expected incomes next year. They could play "Wait and see" and hope for some funding miracle, but I applaud them for taking action now. And yes, some mid-level administrative positions were cut.

http://www.danville.k12.il.us/pdf/Reduction-in-Force-Proposal.pdf

The school district sports around 4000 students and somewhere around 2300+ computers. Don't think they need a tech staff and director? They're doing a good job with too few people in that particular department, IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:21:49 am »

Right on MH! Time to cut the salaries of past bad contracts. Not just teachers. Police, Fire & other gov't.employees. I get tired of hearing the teachers sing the" We care about the kids" song when they threaten to strike. They care about the teachers.

One can see where this is heading.They want a taxpayer referendum for schools. They will use the old line they have used for so long. Without this tax increase we will go to 1/2 days. This scares mom & pop to death. Junior may be home at noon!  It's time for the taxpayer to firmly plant their feet. You are right. $80,000 a year is a plenty.
Report Spam   Logged
kdi307

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:32:19 am »

I think it would be very interesting reading if folks went to championnews.net and saw  dist.118 salarys.  buzz yes to your questions teachers should make less and also to your question about maintenance i want to say that remember maintenance people(which i was one)work 12 months (year round) and they dont get off about 3months in summer like teachers. they do get vacation time on a prorated scale. my main gripe is the school district always cries wolf when it negotiation time for all other staffs yet the school board gives out $5000 to $10,000 raises to the administrators. buzz i bet you would love to get a 5 to 10 thousand dollar raise. when i was in maintenance most raises were 15cent to 25 cent an hour raise.
Report Spam   Logged
marigoldhead

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:50:19 am »

I have found out that the board will have a meeting on march 10th at 6:30 pm to further discuss the matter.  I will be there and you should be there also if you want them to look at other options.  We can not let our teaching staff be cut.  Let me know if you are planning on coming.  I hope im not standing alone.
Report Spam   Logged
Cleaning Lady

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:05:25 am »

I have found out that the board will have a meeting on march 10th at 6:30 pm to further discuss the matter.  I will be there and you should be there also if you want them to look at other options.  We can not let our teaching staff be cut.  Let me know if you are planning on coming.  I hope im not standing alone.
I assure you will not be standing alone. The place will be packed. You better be there early to even get a seat.
Report Spam   Logged

Keep It Clean
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:27 am »

I can see the riot now.....concerned taxpayers in the audience demanding cuts  for not only the administrators, but teachers as well. To be honest, I am all for it. Will it happen? I seriously doubt it. Teachers do have a hard job, but come on folks, should teachers make more than fire fighters or police officers?  I don't think so........
Report Spam   Logged
Mr. Buzorro

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »

buzz yes to your questions teachers should make less and also to your question about maintenance i want to say that remember maintenance people(which i was one)work 12 months (year round) and they dont get off about 3months in summer like teachers. they do get vacation time on a prorated scale... buzz i bet you would love to get a 5 to 10 thousand dollar raise. when i was in maintenance most raises were 15cent to 25 cent an hour raise.

Awwwww......now you're making me feel sorry for the lowly union maintenance workers....not!

Ask anyone where I work how big of a raise we got....Nuttin'!  And this ain't the first year either that this is happened.  But guess what?  We still had to pay taxes to give you your measly (?) raises.  Too many government union employees don't have a clue what the average taxpayer is getting, as far as income.  Too many just assume that we're doing better than we are, obviously.  And too many just figure, 'Hey, we've always gotten raises...Let's keep it up.'

Well now, more than 15% of the taxpayers are unemployed or under-employed.  One out of five kids go to bed hungry. (Those are national figures, Danville's are worse) We've lost hundreds of good-paying jobs in just the last couple of years, former taxpayers, but never mind all that.  By G_d, we've got to keep hiring more cops and firefighters and teachers, and by G_d they better get those big, fat raises in their contracts too.  Right?

The federal government has been bankrupt for years, and they spent all of the Social Security money fighting illegal wars against those eeeevil Muslims.  What a joke!  What saps we are.  The state's $15 billion in the hole, one that will take years to get out of.  Thank you, Mayor Daley, and all the tyrants in Springfield. 

Where's the money going to come from to keep those teachers, mgh?  Don't you even suggest raising property taxes!  The City has already raised their portion and the County raised theirs by 12% a couple of years ago.  That little trick cost the County it's Board Chairman in the ensuing election.  We'll see if the Mayor gets voted out.

You go to that meeting, mgh.  You stand up and tell the Board that they can't layoff any teachers.  BUT, be prepared to tell them where the money's coming from in order to keep them.  It's easy to gripe, anyone can do that.  Offer a solution, if you can think of one.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr. Buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:07 pm »

I assure you will not be standing alone. The place will be packed. You better be there early to even get a seat.

You got that right...

The meeting starts at 6:00,...better get there by 4:00...

The last time they had a meeting involving cuts, there was a line going out the door.  I went home and watched it on the tube.  Of course all the seats were taken, then there were about twenty kids sitting on the floor, crying and begging the Board not to layoff so-and-so because he/she were the absolutetest, bestest teachers,....wahhh!!

Actually, you'd even be lucky to get a seat at a regular meeting.  The place is usually packed with teachers looking out for which Board member is for 'em, and which is agin' 'em.  I know, been that done there.
Report Spam   Logged
Mr. Buzorro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:07:23 pm »

Teachers do have a hard job, but come on folks, should teachers make more than fire fighters or police officers?  I don't think so........

Think again, Tuckster.

A large percentage of teachers quit after two years.  Don't see many cops or firefighters quittin'.  Why do you think that is?
Report Spam   Logged
Tuck

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 08:43:35 am »

Teachers do have a hard job, but come on folks, should teachers make more than fire fighters or police officers?  I don't think so........

Think again, Tuckster.

A large percentage of teachers quit after two years.  Don't see many cops or firefighters quittin'.  Why do you think that is?

Hmmm, maybe dedication?  Seeing how much teachers make monetarily versus what the fire fighters and police officers make.  Let's see, you have these folks running into places that others would run out of. Actually putting their lives on the line.

Buzz, I do understand your frustrations about being a taxpayer paying supposedly high wages, but if you really look at it, local government workers are not making an exhorborant amount considering other cities.
Report Spam   Logged
kdi307

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 06:55:50 pm »

mr. buzzoro    i think you might want to check out all the teachers that have been retiring  they have put in 20,25,30 or more years in not 2 as you stated.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum