Vermilion Voice
April 19, 2024, 02:45:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Quake watch: is America next?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake watch: is America next?  (Read 403 times)
DejaVu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« on: March 04, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »

IMO...this is really becoming worrisome.

World News & Opinion

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Quake watch: is America next?

Two major earthquakes have caused devastation in Haiti and Chile. Is America likely to get hit by a "Big One" anytime soon?

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/106947/Quake_watch_is_America_next

Illinois has had several small earthquakes this year.  Shocked

http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=12070797

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

granny1

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

As a kid growing up in southern Illinois, my dad always said we lived right on the fault line. As we do here in this area. Would not surprise me at all. And that is right, we have had several tremors. Scary thought, but who really can predict mother nature?
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:59:46 pm »

I live on the New Madrid fault.  We had a 3.7 quake here on Tuesday.  I didn't feel it but others did.  It was centered around East Prairie, Mo. about 20 miles from Sikeston.   East Prairie residents said it shook their houses and rattled their windows, but there was no damage.  We have small ones all the time but the last one big enough to feel was in 1990 and it was over 4 points.  They were talking about quakes on the local news and their prediction is that the next one in the US will be on the Wabash fault.  I am not sure where it is.
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50:08 am »

I never heard of the Wabash fault. Had to look it up. Yikes!

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:27:05 pm »

Looks like we'll feel that one too.................... Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Bingo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:07 pm »

i heard an 'expert' on the radio today and he is predicting sooner rather than later that the St Louis area will have an earthquake worse than the ones in Haiti and Chile because of the brick housing and the number of people who are considered to live in this area. (Including the Illinois side of the Mississippi River).  He reported that people are told to have water for 72 hours, etc. This man suggested having water for two weeks, a hand cranked generator that would keep cell phones and radios charged, plenty of flash lights, batteries, and blankets. My questions is,

W H E R E  D O  W E  S T O R E  E A R T H Q U A K E  S U P P L I E S?

The videos I saw showed smashed housing--ours would be worse because of brick? Where do we store the items we need so that we could get to them quickly?
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »

I would store things a basement, cellar, or garage if you have one. The sad truth is, you won't need to worry about it unless you and your home survive.
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:59:47 pm »

When we had the store, we buried instructions for the subdivision in a central location.  (We had a committee and held regular earthquake meetings).   Everyone was advised to carry a change of clothes, blankets, flashlight, portable radio, water and non parishable food in their cars packed in a box.  Ours was in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid.  We had one at the store, one in the car and another at home outside under the potting table on the patio.  We rotated the supplies so that they were always fresh.  We did this for a year.....and then gave up!  That was 20 years ago when they said the big one would hit us any day.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:05 am »

I swear I just felt a very slight tremor! I see Chile just had 2 more quakes....
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:04 am »

I swear I just felt a very slight tremor! I see Chile just had 2 more quakes....

Maybe because I just posted -- an earth-shattering event?   Cheesy   (Don't get paranoid on us now...)   Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:13 am »

Grin  Welcome back Winston.
Report Spam   Logged

DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:41 am »

Maybe because I just posted -- an earth-shattering event?   Cheesy   (Don't get paranoid on us now...)   Wink

Well look what the cat dragged in!  Grin Good to read (what else can I say) you again! There's a lot of stuff going on and I'm not paranoid....just feeling acutely aware.  Wink

I mean there's something going on....don't you feel it Winston?
Report Spam   Logged

Winston

View Profile
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 12:01:04 pm »

Well look what the cat dragged in!  Grin Good to read (what else can I say) you again! There's a lot of stuff going on and I'm not paranoid....just feeling acutely aware.  Wink
I mean there's something going on....don't you feel it Winston?

Heck yeah, DV, and man is that cat tired. Grin  Seriously now, I feel the whole world falling apart in every possible sense! Embarrassed

I worry more about the nasty wind we get here (in Ill. not on the forum Wink ), but for continued quaking in boots (info you already know), this today from EIU, Charleston: 
Earthquakes wake up call to world,  Not uncommon to state of Illinois
Steven Puschmann/Staff Reporter, 3/11/10

The devastating earthquakes to hit Haiti and Chile in recent memory have been a wakeup call for the rest of the world.   Illinois also experienced an earthquake in early February that was felt in the northern part of the state.  It is a cause for concern for Illinoisans, because the active New Madrid fault is located on the border of Southwest Illinois near the town of Cairo.

In the past three years alone, Illinois has had two notable earthquakes. The first occurred in April 2008 with a magnitude 5.4 and was centered in West Salem. The second one occurred in early February in the towns of Virgil and Sycamore and measured as a magnitude 3.4.  These earthquakes are small in comparison to the magnitude 8 earthquake in Chile and magnitude 7 earthquake in Haiti.  A magnitude 4 earthquake can cause moderate damage, while a magnitude 7 earthquake is capable of widespread and heavy damage.

John Paul Stimac, department chair and associate professor of geology/geography, said that these frequent earthquakes are no cause for concern.  "The number for earthquakes worldwide is normal for the year so far," Stimac said.  "Earthquakes with a magnitude of 8 or higher will occur once a year, and earthquakes with a magnitude of 7 occur three to five times a year. Earthquakes are a daily occurrence by the New Madrid Fault with some earthquakes even measuring negative on the Richter scale."

An earthquake that measures negative on the Richter scale will break rock when moving and releases energy. The movement and energy release is so small that it cannot be felt by humans, only instruments.  That does not rule-out the possibility of any large-scale earthquake happening anytime soon. The last massive earthquakes from the New Madrid Fault happened in 1811 and 1812, separated by three months. These earthquakes registered at an 8 on the Richter scale and were felt across the Midwest, including St. Louis and Chicago. These earthquakes could be felt as far away as Boston.

"It was such a large earthquake that it shook church bells in Boston and created Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee," Stimac said.  "An earthquake of that magnitude really only occurs every thousand to two thousand years, but that doesn't mean that it cannot happen again tomorrow or next week."

The possibility of a large-scale earthquake occurring in the area brings to question if the school's buildings are up to code for large earthquakes.  "If an earthquake larger than a magnitude 6 would occur, it would cause damage to the building(s), because the buildings are made from brick," Stimac said. "Brick is strong when it is compressed but can break when a force is shaking it from side to side." 

Stimac also noted that the bedrock that Eastern's campus and most of Illinois is over is glacier rock, which, unlike regular bedrock material, is prone to shake more during an earthquake. This is not a cause for concern, but Stimac said he thinks people have become more aware after the recent earthquakes.    "(In) some way, earthquakes are good, because it causes people to think about natural hazards," Stimac said. "The university offers classes with risk management as a way to prepare students for any situation, including earthquakes."

http://media.www.dennews.com/media/storage/paper309/news/2010/03/11/News/Earthquakes.Wake.Up.Call.To.World-3888482.shtml

(Thanks guys.  Again, probably not really "back" and no tremors where I am [yet], but something must've inspired me to pop in -- maybe the recent Beatles songs?  Wink )

Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:59:32 pm »

http://media.www.dennews.com/media/storage/paper309/news/2010/03/11/News/Earthquakes.Wake.Up.Call.To.World-3888482.shtml

(Thanks guys.  Again, probably not really "back" and no tremors where I am [yet], but something must've inspired me to pop in -- maybe the recent Beatles songs?  Wink )

Winston (not blaming you at all  Grin) but I don't know where you got the link above because when I clicked on it my Opera browser went nuts....scrolling the page up and down by it's self and I couldn't control it. At first I thought it might be a scripting bug but it also affected my Firefox browser which I had open. I ran a program I have and it found Adware from GameVance installed on my computer. (It's possible it was already there...can't say for sure.) If anyone else has a problem go here and download this free program called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.11 and click on Download the latest version run the scan and if you have any nasty stuff it will find it and you can quarantine or delete it. 

Report Spam   Logged

Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:54:09 pm »

Inspiration start from within.....
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum