Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 05:02:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Quake watch: is America next?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quake watch: is America next?  (Read 401 times)
Winston

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:21:03 pm »

Winston (not blaming you at all  Grin) but I don't know where you got the link above because when I clicked on it my Opera browser went nuts....

Whoa thar! Shocked  Maybe THAT was the tremor you felt earlier, your computer sensing imminent doom and shuddering from malevolent forces.  Sorry 'bout that and hope *I* wasn't the cause and that it didn't affect anyone's computer adversely.   Sad

That Eastern IL University link came up when I simply Googled today's quake news to see if one registered in the state.  (Nope, not as of then.)  Nothing untoward happened on either of my computers when I linked to the site again just now, or earlier, but then I have the most paranoid up-to-date security junk on both (Microsoft Defender with Annoying Constipating Security Essentials, AVG with 8 different "shields" - one of which throws a fit if a site is dubious, all manners of  Anti-Virus, Uncle-Malware, etc) and I also use Firefox (plus a funny little lizardy SAFER browser called K-Meleon).  So gee, don't know why your machine weirded out. 

But now that you mention it, I'm also wondering, (NOT THAT THIS ISN'T A SWELL AND POPULAR SITE, MIND YOU! Grin ), if perhaps the alleged 301 VV "visitors" on March 8 didn't include a few nefarious spybots of some sort.  I don't know if, as Administrator here, your machine is somehow more enticing to them (one reason I'd never be brave or clever enough to host a forum).  On my first post today though, the one about free cell phones, I was asked to type in the skewed letters as a security precaution to make sure I was a human poster and not a TracFone ad.  (Presumably I'm human, as the post went through... Wink)

Thanks DV, for the warning and yet another trustworthy Anti-Malware source (so many sneaky FAKE ones out there, you know).   Cnet.com is good though.   Can never be TOO safe.

And to get even MORE off-topic, if anyone's interested, K-Meleon ("an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web browser based on the Gecko layout engine developed by Mozilla which is also used by Firefox... free, open source software for Microsoft Windows (Win 32) OS" info here (and if this makes anyone's machine sick, I really will quit posting!  Undecided):
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ 
Report Spam   Logged
Winston

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »

Inspiration start from within.....

Hmm.    Well then maybe it was "expiration" that hit me, Terry!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:52 am »

California Earthquake Wakes Up Los Angeles

March 16, 2010

An earthquake shook southern California early today, causing little damage but worrying residents who fear a massive disaster like those recently seen in Haiti and Chile.

The quake was measured at a 4.4 magnitude, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It was centered about one mile from Pico Rivera, Calif., and about 11 miles from the Los Angeles Civic Center.

Los Angeles County Fire Department supervisor Andre Gougis told The Associated Press that the agency was surveying the area, but had received no immediate reports of damage.

More here: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/california-shaken-44-magnitute-earthquake/story?id=10113081

Damn! Am I thankful I don't live in California.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 03:30:49 pm »

4.4  is a small earthquake.....can barely feel one that small. However, if a person visiting from anywhere that does not normally experience such temblors,  One could be rattled a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

Yeah...I realize 4.4 is small but it's been predicted that the part of California west of the fault line is going to slide off into the sea one of these days. I hope not but aren't you glad you got out of there!  Unless....we end up having the big one here.
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »

Yeah...I realize 4.4 is small but it's been predicted that the part of California west of the fault line is going to slide off into the sea one of these days. I hope not but aren't you glad you got out of there!  Unless....we end up having the big one here.

Yep, where I was living was west of the fault line, so I would probably be doing the breast stroke............lol
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum