Vermilion Voice
March 29, 2024, 06:37:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Yet another problem for Toyota......

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another problem for Toyota......  (Read 116 times)
Tuck

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Windows User Combination
« on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:50 am »

As we have all seen on tv or read in the paper, Toyota has had it's share of problems lately, and 2 of those happened in the San Diego area. The 1st involved an off duty CHP officer and family who were driving north on the 125, when the accelerator of the vehicle become stuck, apparently on the floor mat. Unable to bring the vehicle to a stop, they hit another vehicle, and then went over the curb into a wooded area, flipped a couple of times and finally came to rest. Unfortunately, several people were killed in that accident.

Yesterday, a driver in San Diego, was a lot luckier, as he escaped injury in another Toyota incident, again with a stuck accelerator. A fatality was averted by the actions of a CHP officer.  Follow the link for the story.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=12106092
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:55:06 am »

I would say the dealership has some responsibility since they refused to even look at the car even though the driver had a recall notice.

I have a 2005 Toyota and have never had a single problem with it but I still think it's a good idea to know what to do if one is ever in a stuck accelerator situation. It could save your life!

Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »

It seems to me, but of course I have not been driving that long, is to simply put the car in neutral.  However in a panic situation, people may not think of that.
Report Spam   Logged
DejaVu

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Search Level 5
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:21:25 pm »

You haven't been driving that long....you're kidding right?  Huh
Report Spam   Logged

The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity, but the one that removes awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside. --Allan Bloom
Tuck

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »

of course I'm kidding. Let's see, I started driving when I was 16, so if my math is correct, that makes almost 41 years...
Report Spam   Logged
Terry

View Profile
Search Level 4 Windows User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:30:24 am »

Toyota has handled the PR on this problem very poorly.  They still don't know what the problems are for sure.  Sales of their products are plummeting because they have not been forthcoming with the American public.  Their sales have now fallen behind Ford and will fall even further if they continue to fail to come clean on this issue.  Like Audi, it will take them years to get back in the game.  Too bad, because I always liked the cars and have owned one in the past.  But, definitely would not buy one now.  Ford and Honda will be the winners for the next few years.
Report Spam   Logged
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

Tuck,

I am truly amazed that people don't put the vehicle in neutral & let the engine blow. The old semi stuck under a overpass comes to mind. Everybody is trying to figure out how to get it out & one says,"Let the air out of the tires." so simple & basic.

Automaker's have a long history of past sins & it looks as though the sacred veil is coming off. It's a P&L game now. Profit & loss. I'll bet many remember the Ford Pintos blowing up over a $8.00 savings per car which left the fuel tank vulnerable.

The Chevy "Corvair"....It was labeled unsafe at any speed. Firestone 500 tires. The list in lengthy of auto makers past known sins. It's the cover-up that is so upsetting. Federal agencies have been gutted & the consumer is at a much higher risk.

Automaker's love to hire former employees of the safety council. They know how to get around the law & how to use stall tactics. We haven't seen anything yet. Plenty more is coming down the pike.
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »

How about just turning the ignition off?

Is it just a coincidence since GM & Chrysler are now partially owned by us, due to their federal bailout, that we are now reading all of these safety issues about the auto company that buried them?

I'm just say'n,...I guess...
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:10:25 pm »

Once Toyota started to assemble vehicles over here I think they got a good dose of gool old american management tactics & methods. Safety,reliability & quality were probably put in the garbage can. I had considerable experience with the Japanese in the auto manufacturing field.

I was ordered to Tokyo for a year & left the co.instead. I still stayed in the field & in my opinion I can't tell one crook from another. I just gave away my Japanese ambassadors course to my niece. We were expected to cut our cost 3% a year on 5 years contracts. I think Buzz.is right on. We have been misled by all of them.

A old saying is..."It's not what people know,It's what they think."Buzz is probably right with his post. The old saying,"Quality is remembered long after price has been forgotten." This has been replaced with ,"Higher profits are remembered long after safety has been forgotten."

I had a senior manager tell me once." I could go to prison for some of the things I have done" This person is long deceased & I never was told nor did I inquire further of them..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum