Vermilion Voice
April 16, 2024, 07:59:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Vermilion Voice

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Barack Obama's accomplishments

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Barack Obama's accomplishments  (Read 190 times)
Guardian Angel

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »

"Robert P. Watson, Ph.D. Coordinator of American Studies
Lynn University "
Email: rwatson@lynn.edu

I am always being asked to grade Obama's presidency. In place of offering him a grade, I put together a list of his accomplishments thus far. I think you would agree that it is very impressive. His first six months have been even more active than FDRs or LBJs the two standards for such assessments. Yet, there is little media attention given to much of what he has done. Of late, the media is focusing almost exclusively on Obama's critics, without holding them responsible for the uncivil, unconstructive tone of their disagreements or without holding the previous administration responsible for getting us in such a deep hole. The misinformation and venom that now passes for political reporting and civic debate is beyond description.

As such, there is a need to set the record straight. What most impresses me is the fact that Obama has accomplished so much not from a heavy-handed or top-down approach but from a style that has institutionalized efforts to reach across the aisle, encourage vigorous debate, and utilize town halls and panels of experts in the policy-making process. Beyond the accomplishments, the process is good for democracy and our democratic processes have been battered and bruised in recent years.

Let me know if I missed anything in the list (surely I did).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.. Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending
2. Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices
3. Instituted enforcement for equal pay for women
4. Beginning the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq
5. Families of fallen soldiers have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover AFB
6 Ended media blackout on war casualties; reporting full information
7. Ended media blackout on covering the return of fallen soldiers to Dover AFB; the media is now permitted to do so pending adherence to respectful rules and approval of fallen soldier's family
8. The White House and federal government are respecting the Freedom of Information Act
9. Instructed all federal agencies to promote openness and transparency as much as possible
10. Limits on lobbyist's access to the White House
11. Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration
12. Ended the previous stop-loss policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date
13. Phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which weren't even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan
14. Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research
15. Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research
16. New federal funding for science and research labs
17. States are permitted to enact federal fuel efficiency standards above federal standards
18. Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants) after years of neglect
19. Funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools
20. New funds for school construction
21 The prison at Guantanamo Bay is being phased out
22. US Auto industry rescue plan
23. Housing rescue plan
24. $789 billion economic stimulus plan
25. The public can meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying
26. US financial and banking rescue plan
27. The secret detention facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere are being closed
28. Ended the previous policy; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards
29. Better body armor is now being provided to our troops
30. The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010
31. Restarted the nuclear nonproliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols
32. Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic
33. Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions
34. Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office
35. Successful release of US captain held by Somali pirates; authorized the SEALS to do their job
36. US Navy increasing patrols off Somali coast
37. Attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles
38. Cash for clunkers program offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars; stimulated auto sales
39. Announced plans to purchase fuel efficient American-made fleet for the federal government
40. Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children
41. Signed national service legislation; expanded national youth service program
42. Instituted a new policy on Cuba , allowing Cuban families to return home to visit loved ones
43. Ended the previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions
44. Expanding vaccination programs
45. Immediate and efficient response to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters
46. Closed offshore tax safe havens
47. Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals
48. Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back
49.. Ended the previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industry's predatory practices
50. Energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources
51. Lower drug costs for seniors
52. Ended the previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings
53. Increasing pay and benefits for military personnel
54. Improved housing for military personnel
55. Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses
56. Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals
57 Increasing student loans
58. Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program
59. Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy
60. Established a new cyber security office
61. Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force; this includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.
62. Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts
63. Ordered a review of hurricane and natural disaster preparedness
64. Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient
65. Students struggling to make college loan payments can have their loans refinanced
66. Improving benefits for veterans
67. Many more press conferences and town halls and much more media access than previous administration
68. Instituted a new focus on mortgage fraud
69. The FDA is now regulating tobacco
70. Ended previous policy of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules
71. Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports
72. Authorized discussions with North Korea and private mission by Pres. Bill Clinton to secure the release of two Americans held in prisons
73. Authorized discussions with Myanmar and mission by Sen. Jim Web to secure the release of an American held captive
74. Making more loans available to small businesses
75. Established independent commission to make recommendations on slowing the costs of Medicare
76. Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court
77. Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans
78. Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000
79. Renewed loan guarantees for Israel
80. Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan
81. Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan
82. New Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans
83. Announced the long-term development of a national energy grid with renewable sources and cleaner, efficient energy production
84. Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters
85 Paid for redecoration of White House living quarters out of his own pocket
86. Held first Seder in White House
87. Attempting to reform the nation's healthcare system which is the most expensive in the world yet leaves almost 50 million without health insurance and millions more under insured
88. Has put the ball in play for comprehensive immigration reform
89. Has announced his intention to push for energy reform
90. Has announced his intention to push for education reform

Oh, and he built a swing set for the girls outside the Oval Office
Report Spam   Logged

Be an angel, fly with God's flock.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jeffc

100 years from now it won't matter now will it?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:34:23 pm »

Good post GA but I'm sure it'll generate negative comments. I still am of the thought that if the man makes it out alive (50-50) he will be viewed in a much more positive light than he is right now.  There are a lot of crazies out there who are so brainwashed by the FOX talking heads and far right republicans that nothing they would do would surprise me. Nothing! I fear for us all should we have another 1963. Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

Help, I'm falling. Get me another beer.
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:01:55 am »

I agree Jeff, but I was so tired of hearing all the negative, that when I got that in an email from a friend, I just had to post it.  People tend to dwell on the negative now days and I am sure it is because of the state of things, but lets not forget how we got to this point......................it wasn't because of this administration! 

It doesn't matter who would have been elected, things would not have gotten better over night.  It's going to take a while to get out of this mess, but then we didn't get here overnight either!  I have faith in American.  We've been in tough situations before.
Report Spam   Logged

granny1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »

In talking to friends and family and even to strangers, I have never in all my years seen and heard people so angry about our politicians on both sides of the aisle.  so many have commented, they say to contact your reps     . I have and many of them have also, to no avail.I asked one Senator why they felt they still deserve to get raises and still all the perks they do, his answer? Because we work  hard and deserve them. I asked about all the families living on unemployment barely making it. He said, that will all be fixed. When and how?Huh? I really have lost faith in the present Government. You better believe when it comes time to vote,I will exercise my rite to try to get rid of all of them. Fool me once, ok fool me twice you pay.Corrupt government has been around a long ,long time. It didn't just start with the Bush administration. The difference now is, people are waking up and catching on.Sorry felt the need to vent!!!. Yes I do still have that Right!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »

Hey granny, nobody will argue that you don't have the right to speak out.  I will defend that right even though I might not agree with you, but don't for one minute think that voting in new people is going to be a quick fix to the problem.   All politicians are just that..........politicians!  Once the big business lobbiest get to them and flash big money, well, corruption sets in.  You have to look long and hard to find an honest politician because the love of money IS the root of all evil and there is plenty of it spread around the House and Senate.

I will agree that corrupt government has been around for a long time, but don't get me started on how Bush ruined this country.................................... Roll Eyes  His administration will go down in history as one of the worst if not THE worst.
Report Spam   Logged

granny1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:54:29 pm »

Thanks GA. I was not standing up for Bush. I am just saying it has been around forever. Maybe voting in new politicians will not help, but you have to admit the ones we have are certainly not doing what We have hired them to do. Most of them have been in Washington so long they think they own it. They forget who they work for, not the President or the Cabinet, but for us ,the people.I believe there should be term limits so someone else can mess up our lives. (a little tongue in cheek). The really sincere ones, as you so aptly stated, soon fall into the same rut as the others. Corruption and the love of power and money can ruin a good soul. I pray every day for my children and grand children who are going to shoulder the burden of this enormous debt and corruption of power. That is all. I am done. Blood pressure going up. You are a good lady GA. Giod Bless. Or is it not politically correct to say that any more?
Report Spam   Logged
buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:30:34 pm »

This should be read and understood by all Americans - Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!

To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature,   It is now official you are ALL
         corrupt morons:

a.. The U.S. Post Service was established in 1775. You have had 234 years to get it right, and it is broke.

b.. Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.   

c.. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get it right and it is broke. 

d.. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is
confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more.

e.. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 44 years to get it right and they are broke.

f.. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get it right and it is broke. 

g.. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has               ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import  more oil than ever before. You had 32 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.

You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars.

AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE
         SYSTEM??

Wait until 'they come' for our retirement money.  Clinton already broke Social Security when he looted it to make the claim that the federal budget had a surplus.  Pension money and 401k's next...

Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 11:15:54 pm »

For a list of the awesome achievements (so far) of our President: http://obamaachievements.org/list

Click on Expand in the upper right hand corner for more.
Report Spam   Logged

music man

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:41 pm »

I rate pres.Obama's accomplishments on par with George Bush.

1. Like Pres.Bush he has raised the deficit to the level of a terror threat.

2.There will be no social security increase in 2011. Punishment to the old folks who did not vote for him

3.His own words were  there would be no health care overhaul without a public option.

4.His admin.sued the state of Ariz.for wanting to enforce federal law.

After the November elections he will be powerless to ram his destroy America agenda thru the house & possibly the senate.

6.We are still at war in the middle east.

7.We continue to lose jobs at a alarming rate.

To me he is no better or worse than George Bush was. Tell the voter's what they want to hear & then do whatever you want. It has only taken him 22 months to put the republicans back in power. Meanwhile despite the far left agenda the "Tea Party" movement is growing at the speed of light. He has given me change I can count on. Instead of folding money I have change in my pocket!

I have said before we couldn't have done worse than Pres.Bush. However I think we have done just as bad in Pres,Obama.
Report Spam   Logged
techguy

View Profile
Combination Poll Voter Level 2
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 04:27:55 pm »

1. The President, on his own, can do nothing to raise the deficit. Only Congress can do that. You could argue that it was his policies enacted by Congress, but the truth would be that he wanted MORE spending than Congress gave. And most economists think we needed more.
2. Again, the President does not set the COLA increase for SSI. That law was passed a long time ago.
3. No doubt here. All indicators appear to point to it being a done deal (no public option) privately while he still pushed for it publicly. Very disappointed on that one. Actually, still outright ANGRY about it.
4. The state of Ariz. passed a law the usurped federal law. Enforcing Federal law is a job for the Federal Government.
5. Maybe. Time will tell.
6. Well, 'war' is a variable term. But yes, we're still involved in conflict there and elsewhere.
7. I'm not so sure that's true. I believe the jobless claims have slowed down, but I guess 'alarming' is a pretty generic term.

I think if we were in the middle of a McCain / Palin presidency, we'd be FAR worse off than we are now. The economy would be in worse shape. But the rich would be richer, so I guess that's OK.
Obama's biggest mistake has been trying to achieve a consensus on legislation with the Republicans. Every single piece of legislation is watered down to the point of being ineffective. He was elected to enact an agenda. My biggest disappointment is that he didn't do it.

I rate pres.Obama's accomplishments on par with George Bush.

1. Like Pres.Bush he has raised the deficit to the level of a terror threat.

2.There will be no social security increase in 2011. Punishment to the old folks who did not vote for him

3.His own words were  there would be no health care overhaul without a public option.

4.His admin.sued the state of Ariz.for wanting to enforce federal law.

After the November elections he will be powerless to ram his destroy America agenda thru the house & possibly the senate.

6.We are still at war in the middle east.

7.We continue to lose jobs at a alarming rate.

To me he is no better or worse than George Bush was. Tell the voter's what they want to hear & then do whatever you want. It has only taken him 22 months to put the republicans back in power. Meanwhile despite the far left agenda the "Tea Party" movement is growing at the speed of light. He has given me change I can count on. Instead of folding money I have change in my pocket!

I have said before we couldn't have done worse than Pres.Bush. However I think we have done just as bad in Pres,Obama.
Report Spam   Logged
music man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »

If enforcing fed.law is a fed.gov't.only job then the police should quit arresting anyone who commits a federal crime. Let's let bank robbers & all felons be handled by fed.authorities only.Wouldn't want to usurp fed.authority. No..this is selective enforcement.
Report Spam   Logged
Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:47 pm »

You area right Techguy, the jobless rate has slowed down and a report this week says it's lower than it has been for 3 months. 

And Musicman while you are entitled to your opinion, that's all it is......your opinion.   Not even you know how the elections will turn out. 

The Tea Party movement is nothing but the Republican sore losers who can't stand the fact that a black man is in the white house. 

The Party of NO hasn't helped the situation. They have NO plan, NO new ideas NO solutions,  NO cooperation, NO compassion, NO tolerance, NO common sense, NO ethic, NO truth, NO action, NO purpose, NO peace, NO feeling, NO control, NO brains, NO choices and most of all NO conscience.

The Oct 2, rally in DC upset Beck so much that he is now on the defensive and when the one Oct. 30th proves to be even better, he's just might blow a gasket.  Beck is foisting his Morman views on the public and they don't even know it.  Anyway with some of the waco's the Tea Party has endorsed.........the world may implode.  They want to do away with public schools, privitize Social Security, Medicare, fire service, police service and everything else we have fought so hard for in this country.  Can you imagine what we would be doing had George Bush managed to privatize Social Security?  The stock market would have wiped it out.

Techguy, no use arguing with a Republican they think they are right because they are the right and no one else is allowed to be right!
Report Spam   Logged

Guardian Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »

Joe Republican gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of water, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to ensure their safety and that they work as advertised. All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry. In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for the laws to stop industries from polluting our air. He walks on the government-provided sidewalk to subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

Joe likes to email his friends. He likes to talk on the phone. He is secure in his knowledge that everything he says in the email and on the phone is secure and that no one is listening in or reading his mail because those commie liberal constitution framers believed that Joe had the right to privacy. It is noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills.

Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe also forgets that his in addition to his federally subsidized student loans, he attended a state funded university.

Joe is secure in his walk to the bank with the knowledge that no police agency has the right to arrest and jail him without due process and probable cause. He has the right to an attorney, a jury of his peers and to be brought before a magistrate in a timely fashion. His family has the right to know he has been arrested. Again Joe can thank those commie constitution framers.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards to go along with the tax-payer funded roads. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day. Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."
Report Spam   Logged

buzorro

View Profile
Level 4 Windows User Combination
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »

Kudos to you, GA!

In the past I've made some pretty long-winded posts and sometimes they have taken a couple of hours to type ( trying to slow my brain to match the speed of my typing finger, making sure the message is intelligible, trying to use the least amount of words to explain the most, previewing, spellchecking, etc. )

So, just out of curiousity, how long did it take you to compose the above 'story about Joe?'

Please don't tell me it was a 'cut & paste' job...with no link to original author.

I'd be soooo disappointed.
Report Spam   Logged

Don't blame me...I voted for Ron Paul
music man

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »

GA.

You are right.I don't know for sure how the elections will turn out. I mainly just follow the polls. However it looks like the republicans will make gains. To me the republicans take from the needy & give to the greedy.Under pres.Bush they ran up high deficits. I think pres.Obama is putting our "Master Card" bill onto a "Visa card"

I just don't see how spend & spend some more will save us. As far as his being black the race card is always played by liberals when backed into a corner. I'm sure you are right about the social security statement you made. Pres.Bush did his best to let "Wall Street" get their grubby little hands on that money.

As I've stated before I'm with the fed up party. I've voted both ways over the years.Look at the gambling mess in Alabama. Looks like numerous of the states finest were on the take. As for no social security raises for 2011 I feel the President does have influence. Statistics can be skewered to fit ones agenda.

A old saying is.(Statistics don't lie & liars use statistics!) I do respect all opinions on this forum and you are right.I only issue my opinion which is by no means fact. I guess nov.will tell us the mood of the country.I feel like us voters are being bounced around like a ping-pong ball. It would be nice to see all working on a progressive agenda instead of this give no quarter politics we now have.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum